PST file import to Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Outlook Import/Export option to import PST files into Outlook accounts.

The import works fine if I have less than 512 records in the PST file.  For larger files the import aborts with error message "Some items cannot be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied".  At this point 512 records are imported.

To import another 512 records I have to repeat the process with "Do not import duplicates" selected.

I have some large PST files with over 20K emails to import and this process will take forever.  

Can anyone tell me why the import is failing after 512 records and if this is something that can be corrected in the registry?

DCRA

Thursday, March 5, 2020 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>> The import works fine if I have less than 512 records in the PST file.  For larger files the import aborts with error message
    What if you import a PST file with slightly more than 512 records such as 513 or 514?

>> To import another 512 records I have to repeat the process with "Do not import duplicates" selected.
    According to my research, it seems that there were corruptions within the PST file. When importing Outlook items from a PST file, the program will abort the import process as soon as it stumbles upon an error. By this method mentioned above, the program will continue importing data from the PST file from where it left off (the item that caused the error will now be skipped).
    Therefore, it is suggested for you to repair the PST file and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2020 7:44 AM
  • Jeff, thanks for your response.

I used the scan repair utility on the file however when I performed the Import it does the same thing again, only importing 512 records.  It is unlikely that the PST file has a corrupted  record at ever 512 record  interval like clockwork.  

I should mention that if I open the PST files using the "Open Outlook Data File" option it does not show any errors.  I need to import the emails into an existing inbox so I cannot use the Open Outlook Data File option for what I need to do.

Any further suggestions would be helpful.

DCRA

Friday, March 6, 2020 3:07 PM
  • Hi DCRA ,

Thanks for your reply.

In order to further confirm your issue, please try the suggestions below and collect the test results:

1. Corrupted profiles may lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and then import your PST file to see if it works.
    2. To check if the issue is related to your Outlook desktop client, it is suggested for you to try importing your PST file to another computer.
    3. Since you have several large PST files, please use different PST files when testing and see if there is any difference.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while, how is everything going?

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, March 13, 2020 10:17 AM
  • I have this problem as well. I am importing old email which has been converted from MBX format. The converter converts the right number of emails, but when importing to Outlook (365, running on Server 2019) I get the "Some items cannot be copied" error. The folder then only has 512 emails in it.

If I run the "Open Outlook Data File" option, instead of the general "Import/Export", then all email is imported but it ends up sitting in "Converted Email" and then has to be manually moved to the right folder.

This has happened several times with several different PST files. Help!

Monday, July 27, 2020 2:38 PM
  • Did anyone figure out this issue?  I have hundreds of mailboxes to convert as we are moving all our customers from onsite Exchange servers to Exchange Online, and if I have to import 512 records at a time, this will take months to complete this project.  This appears to be a common issue that several Microsoft Partners are having.  An actual solution to this problem would be helpful.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:46 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this problem? 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:26 PM
  • I would suggest you to try the third party software to import the file.
    Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:05 AM