none
Outlook 2010 keeps locking up, and I have to manually shut the computer down, has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it

Question

• outlook 2010 locks up requiring me to manually shut down the computer and restart
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue might be related to some third-party add-ins’ conflicts or Outlook profile corrupted etc.
    We could first temporary turn off the anti-virus application to check if the issue could be gone.

We can also try starting Outlook in safe mode or create a new Outlook profile for further test.

Test 1: Start the Outlook program in safe mode

================================
    1.   Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.
    2.   Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Outlook program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Outlook program as blow:

Open Outlook-> Go to file-> Click on options-> select Add-ins towards the left hand side-> Click on go for COM Add-ins-> Uncheck all the Add-ins.

Test 2: Test with a new Outlook profile

===========================
    1.    Exit Outlook.
    2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.
    3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.
    4.    Click Add.
    5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.
    6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

Please take your time to try suggestions above and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. Is there anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Good luck!

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue might be related to some third-party add-ins’ conflicts or Outlook profile corrupted etc.
    We could first temporary turn off the anti-virus application to check if the issue could be gone.

We can also try starting Outlook in safe mode or create a new Outlook profile for further test.

Test 1: Start the Outlook program in safe mode

================================
    1.   Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.
    2.   Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Outlook program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Outlook program as blow:

Open Outlook-> Go to file-> Click on options-> select Add-ins towards the left hand side-> Click on go for COM Add-ins-> Uncheck all the Add-ins.

Test 2: Test with a new Outlook profile

===========================
    1.    Exit Outlook.
    2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.
    3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.
    4.    Click Add.
    5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.
    6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

Please take your time to try suggestions above and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. Is there anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Good luck!

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:28 AM
  • I'm having the same issue within this past 4 weeks.  I've disable all 3rd party plug-ins.  Still happening and getting real frustrated.  I'm about to uninstall Office 2010 and attempt to reinstall.  The funny thing is, when Outlook freezes I can't even shut it down using Task Manager to end the program.  All other programs on my computer continue to work, open and close.  If I try to shut-down the computer while Outlook freezes it also just hangs at the Login Off screen.  I have to physically hold the power button to shut down.  I recently setup my new laptop (the old one started doing this just before I received my new laptop.  Now both are doing it!!  I am on Outlook Exchange 2003.  Does any one have any suggestions or know what the fix is?  VERY FRUSTRATED.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:08 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue with an Exchange user. Outlook 2010 will start up, everything will seem fine, but after a few minutes of use Outlook 2010 will randomly hang. Sometimes it will be while composing an email, sometimes it will be clicking to view a folder in Outlook. When it does hang the interface can sometimes be forced to close if I'm very patient and keep clicking the red x close button but the Outlook.exe process cannot be closed due to "insufficient permissions."

I can confirm I'm a local admin of the computer and using a domain admin account. I've gone to the lengths of launching a cmd window with admin privilidges (right click, run as admin) and using the taskkill command line tool to try and end the Outlook.exe process by terminating it's process ID. When I try to do this the taskkill tool reports that process doesn't exist.

Following this, it's my assumption that when trying to reboot or shutdown the computer Windows will hang at "logging off" because it is attempting to cleanly close all processes and indefinitely waits for the Outlook.exe process to close.

Things I've tried to remedy this issue: disabling all com addins with Outlook options, re-create users Exchange mailbox and re-import user data via PST backup, reloaded the users laptop to factory defaults (Acer TravelMate 5742).

Does anyone know of a conclusive solution to this issue?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Having all the same issues for the past week.  Very annoying.  Hoping someone comes up with a solution on this one.  I have five different addresses I use through outlook and can't imagine having to set all that up again.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Same issue here with a new computer. This is the only thread I've found that shares the same issues. Tried all the suggested fixes. I assume that it may be a virus protection conflict, but the freeze up is so random, there's no way to confirm.
    Monday, August 06, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

I've seen this issue many times and fortunately I've resolved them all. I've found that this issue happen when Outlook trying to open the PST file from a network location. I hope the following procedure will resolve the issue. 

1 - Restart the machine and but not run Outlook.

2 - Go to Start > Control Panel and double click on "Mail (32-bit)". It might be under User Accounts if your Control Panel sorted items by category.

3 - Click on "Data Files..." button.

4 - On the Data Files list check the location of your data files. If you have any data file with a network location like "\\server\emails" then highlight that data file.

5 - Click on "Open File Location" to open the network location.

6 - Copy the Outlook data file from the network location to your local machine. It is better to copy it to the default Outlook data file location on your machine. Sometimes it is on "Documents\Outlook Files" folder.

7 - Highlight the data file again on the data file list and click on Remove to remove it from list. If the data file is your default data file you should change your default data file before removing.

8 - Add the data file that you have copied from the network location to your local machine by clicking the Add button.

Follow the steps 9, 10 & 11 if that data file associated with an email account. As you may know all of the data files aren't necessarily connected to an email account.

9 - On the E-mail tab select email account that was associated to the data file that was on the network and click on the "Change Folder" button.

10 - Select "New Outlook Data file" and select the data file you have copied from network to your local machine.

11 - On the Choose a folder tree select the proper Inbox folder for that data file should be connected to.

12 - Click OK and close all windows.

Now you can open and close Outlook and it should works properly without any freezing issue.

Please let me know how this goes. I would be happy to help you if you have any other question.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:20 AM