none
Format Shape functions missing?

Question

• In previous versions, if you showed the Format Shape toolbar, you had the options:
    - Rounded Corner
    - Transparency
    - Fill pattern

I only ever really used transparency, but this is crucial for me, does anyone know where it is gone? I just want to make a shape transparent.

Thanks
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• Here are some options:

1. Right click a shape and choose Format > Fill

2. Create your own custom ribbon
        Choose File > Custom Ribbon.  Under Choose commands from, find Commands Not in the Ribbon.  You will find the old commands there.

3. Add commands to the quick access toolbar
        Choose File > Quick Access Toolbar
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Thanks, but the commands are not there at all. I can only think that they are gone, which seems strange. I can set e.g. the transparency in 2007 and open in 2010, but can't then apply to new shapes by e.g. paste format.

It is useful to know how to customise the ribbon though.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:05 AM
  • You are mostly correct.

I did find Corner Rounding under "All Commands".

I also found two Transparency commands, but neither work.

I did not find Fill Patterns, but patterns as well as transparency can be accessed through the Fill dialog which is available when you right click a shape and from the Home tab.

I've reported the non working Transparency commands to Microsoft.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Yes thanks - I didn't check corner rounding actually. For the transparency under Fill - that only applies to the fill for a shape, not for shape transparency, which makes the whole shape transparent, not just its fill colour.

I also found those transpaency commands, but as you say they don't seem to do anything.

Do you think they were deleberately removed or is this an ommission?

Thanks for the help.

Hal.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:15 PM
  • You'll have to touch the transparency in both the Fill and the Line dialogs to get full shape transparency. Quite a nuisance!

I hope this is a just a bug that will get fixed, but I have no way of really knowing.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:38 PM
  • That doesn't work for many shapes, e.g. add a server and try it, doesn't make any difference.

Thanks

Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Some of the 'shapes' are actually groups. You need to use code (a simple macro will do) that recurses through the subshapes. I had to write one for the datagraphics surrogates project that I posted over on Chris Roth's site.
    al
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:24 PM
  • True, but it still worked in previous versions for the whole group. I have manu custom stencils that I created in illustrator and export as SVG, and these are also groups, but I cannot now make them partially transparent.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:05 AM
  • I ended up drawing a box over my shape and setting it's transparency and made the color match my bg. Pretty lame that it changed!
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:37 PM