chkdsk RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

According to wikipedia, chkdsk is the following:

Microsoft Windows operating systems that displays the file system integrity status of hard disks and floppy disk and can fix logical file system errors

but, what does it exactly? What is the file system integrity, what problems can occur and what are logical file system errors?

Saturday, March 9, 2013 5:16 PM

Answers

• another hint for the OP: don't use wikipedia as your main source of technical information. for info about windows I'd suggest searching technet, or using google but not relying on just the first hit.

Al Dunbar -- remember to 'mark or propose as answer' or 'vote as helpful' as appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:48 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Sorry sounds like a homework question.  Have you tried Googling those questions?

No there isnt a tool that does them both automatically & at the same time.  A good 3rd party app can do both but has to do them at different times.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:37 AM
  • back when I had win 7 I found perfect disk to be a solid easy to use defragger.

http://www.raxco.com/

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

• Marked as answer by enlil Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:53 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Enlil

File system errors can cause read errors, write errors, crashes, or an inability to boot.  Can you be more specific?

Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Sometimes, during a read write operation, some external activity like power failure or system errors can cause files to get disintegrated. So after that, if you try to access the affected file you get an error. CHKDSK checks for such broken files and fixes or "integrates" them accordingly.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:46 PM
  • when comparing it with fragmentation tools, are there differences?

also, does a tool exist thats able to defrag and checkdisk(maybe offline??) automatically?

Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Sorry sounds like a homework question.  Have you tried Googling those questions?

No there isnt a tool that does them both automatically & at the same time.  A good 3rd party app can do both but has to do them at different times.

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:37 AM
  • another hint for the OP: don't use wikipedia as your main source of technical information. for info about windows I'd suggest searching technet, or using google but not relying on just the first hit.

Al Dunbar -- remember to 'mark or propose as answer' or 'vote as helpful' as appropriate.

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:12 AM
  • no homework question, just needed a decent response. Found several sources on the net with different info.

Can you advise a 3rd party app?

Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:04 PM
  • back when I had win 7 I found perfect disk to be a solid easy to use defragger.

http://www.raxco.com/

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

• Marked as answer by enlil Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:53 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:36 PM
  • ok, thanks. will check and test that software :-)
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:53 PM