none
Outlook 2010 Calendar - Meeting Cancellations

Question

• My office has just recently converted to Outlook 2010. For the most part, the conversion went smooth and people are adapting to the new e-mail program. One of the things that is increasingly causing frustration is the fact that when a meeting originator cancels a meeting, it does not automatically remove the meeting from the invitees calendars. From what I can find on the internet, Outlook 2007 had an option when cancelling a meeting to "cancel and delete from invitee list calendars". Why would Outlook 2010 remove that feature? With the 2010 version, the invitees receive an e-mail, which just junks up the inbox, and each invitee has to click the button "remove from calendar". Why not remove the cancelled meeting from your calendar automatically, or at the very least, have an option that you can turn off or on to "automatically remove cancelled meetings from calendars". It has an option to automatically accept meetings, so why wouldn't there be an option to automatically accept cancelled meetings? It just doesn't make sense. I've played around with the thought of creating a rule and found that I could base a rule on the "Meeting Cancelled" form, but it does not have an option to remove the meeting from my calendar. I could setup the rule to delete the meeting cancellation e-mail...whoopdeedo...that does me alot of good. I haven't been able to find a place either where I can leave my feedback to Microsoft to tell them what an idiotic concept it is to not automatically remove cancelled meetings from a calendar. If anyone has found a way to setup something, or create a script, or setup a rule that will automatically remove cancelled meetings from my calendar, I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks.
    Friday, September 03, 2010 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may check the following settings in Outlook 2010:

1.       Click File > Options > Calendar, under Resource Scheduling, click the Resource Scheduling button. 

2.       Check the box before: Automatically accept meeting requests and remove canceled meetings.

3.       Click OK to save the settings.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 10, 2010 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may check the following settings in Outlook 2010:

1.       Click File > Options > Calendar, under Resource Scheduling, click the Resource Scheduling button. 

2.       Check the box before: Automatically accept meeting requests and remove canceled meetings.

3.       Click OK to save the settings.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 10, 2010 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I would like to automatically remove cancelled meetings, but not automatically accept meeting requests.  I don't suppose there's any way to do this?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:54 PM
  • As the originator I would like to be able to cancel a meeting (not delete) and be able to notify all attendees that the meeting is cancelled. I do not see this as an option on Outlook 2010.

Monday, May 30, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I did this in my Outlook 2010 but all the check marks in step 2 are greyed out.  How do I change permissions so I can do the 2nd step?

• Proposed as answer by mscekoa Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:26 PM
    • Edited by mscekoa Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:40 PM
  • If you are not using an Exchange server you will need to create a script

The following script will auto accept a meeting, send the response and delete the original meeting request message.

When in Outlook, press Alt F11 to edit and then create a rule to AutoAccept by running the script for the applicable incoming Meeting requests.

Sub AutoAcceptMeetings(oRequest As MeetingItem)

If oRequest.MessageClass <> "IPM.Schedule.Meeting.Request" Then
      Exit Sub
    End If

Dim oAppt As AppointmentItem
    Set oAppt = oRequest.GetAssociatedAppointment(True)

Dim oResponse

Set oResponse = oAppt.Respond(olMeetingAccepted, True)
    oResponse.Send
    oRequest.Delete

End Sub

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:48 PM
  • This needs split out into two options.

Automatically process cancellations should not be tied to automatically accepting meeting requests.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:01 PM