none
Exchange 2016 not showing Free Busy information for some users RRS feed

• Question

• I have a newly built Exch 2016 environment in "Domain B".  I created a few test users (and mailboxes) in Domain B and the free busy information shows fine for all those accounts.

I'm in the process of a cross-forest migration and have migrated a few mailboxes using a 3rd party tool from another domain ("Domain A") with an Exch2007 environment.  I can't see any F/B info for those migrated users, regardless of whether I'm logged in as a migrated user or a newly created user.  The exception is when I'm logged in as a migrated user, they can see their own schedule as well as the test users.  The "error" when I hover over the grey slashes in either outlook or OWA is: 

The AD accounts were migrated some time ago using ADMT, and I was not a part of that effort so have no details.

• I have checked default calendar permissions and they are set correctly (Default is set to Free/Busy Time)
    • Autodiscover checks out fine (wouldn't work for any users if it wasn't)
    • Behaves exactly the same in Outlook and OWA, so it's not an Outlook client issue
    • There is no O365 / federation / hybrid in this environment
    • All EWS namespaces point to https://mail.DomainB.com/...   and a 3rd party cert is in place and functioning as it should for the namespace

There has to be something that either the migration tool is doing to the account when it is migrating the mailbox, or when the AD account was migrated, but so far I've been unable to find out what that is.  I've done a side-by-side of the Get-CasMailbox and Get-MailboxFolderPermission output for a newly created user and migrated user and can't see any differences.

The 3rd party migration tool support doesn't have any ideas and cannot / won't assist, claiming it's not their tool that is causing the issue.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to resolve, I'm greatly appreciative!

Many thanks!

ScubaNut

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi ScubaNut,

To be honest, it is always not recommend to use third-party tools to migrate the Exchange mailboxes, because we cannot estimate the risk of it. 

Meanwhile, Exchange 2007 cannot coexist with Exchange 2016, so we should firstly migrate to Exchange 2010 or 2013, then migrate to Exchange 2016, which is a little complicated to carry out.

If the legacy 2007 mailboxes are not that many, as a workaround, we suggest you export the mailbox content to pst then import it to a new created Exchange 2016 mailbox. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:48 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:48 AM
  • Hi Manu,

Thanks for the reply.  You are correct, Exch2007 and 2016 cannot co-exist in the same domain/forest; however, they are in two separate domains, thus the need for a 3rd party tool to migrate the mailboxes in a cross-forest migration.  There are too many mailboxes to export to PST.

I do have an update from yesterday though.  It appears if I create the empty mailbox first (not using the 3rd party tool to create it) the free busy information is available, so there must be something odd that the 3rd party tool does when it creates the mailbox.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:25 PM
  • Hi Manu,

Thanks for the reply.  You are correct, Exch2007 and 2016 cannot co-exist in the same domain/forest; however, they are in two separate domains, thus the need for a 3rd party tool to migrate the mailboxes in a cross-forest migration.  There are too many mailboxes to export to PST.

I do have an update from yesterday though.  It appears if I create the empty mailbox first (not using the 3rd party tool to create it) the free busy information is available, so there must be something odd that the 3rd party tool does when it creates the mailbox.

Yes, that is what I am worried about...

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try to create a fresh mailbox with migrated AD acocunt and verify the free/busy. Exchange 2007 and 2016 co-existing do not support means they will not be able to talk to each other as you need.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:49 AM
  • Hi Prem,

Yes, if I create the mailbox manually in the target domain, F/B works fine.  If the 3rd party tool creates the mailbox, it doesn't.  

The tool allows you to sync the mailbox data in one or both directions and once all the data has been migrated, you can cut all the users over to the Exchange 2016 target domain and you don't need co-existence.  The environment is not small but not big enough that we can't perform the cutover in a weekend for all users.

Monday, September 17, 2018 3:31 PM
  • Hi Prem,

Yes, if I create the mailbox manually in the target domain, F/B works fine.  If the 3rd party tool creates the mailbox, it doesn't.  

The tool allows you to sync the mailbox data in one or both directions and once all the data has been migrated, you can cut all the users over to the Exchange 2016 target domain and you don't need co-existence.  The environment is not small but not big enough that we can't perform the cutover in a weekend for all users.

So we could confirm that issue is caused by the migration tool, am I right?

We couldn't give you a suggestion on this tool because it is not supported by Microsoft. We strongly recommend you to use the official supported method to migrate the mailbox, as I mentioned above.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

If you cannot get rid of the 3rd party tool, then you should check if the account used has proper privileges.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:24 AM
  • Hi, you need the migrated user as contacts in the exchange 2007 organisation. The contact should have as external adress a „migration“ domain and as send as adress the normal domain. Create on the EX2007 an availibility adress space for the migration domain and set permissions for peruserfb on the exchange 2016. for the migration domain create an autodiscover (autodiscover.migrationdomain.com) a-record an srv record pointing to EX2016. with this you can use free busy but no calendar delegation or calendar details. for delegation you have to create with linked mailboxes and msexchmasteraccountsid. Regards, alpina
    Sunday, September 23, 2018 5:24 PM