none
list not getting synchronized immediately RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have two pages open on two different browser windows. One site page has got a infopath form through which we enter new list item and another web page is that of AllItems.aspx page of that list.

When we create a new item through the form, and try to filter that out in the allitems page, we don't see the new record, for that we have to refresh the page. is this an issue with SP or is this how it's expected to behave ?

Please help.

Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:37 AM

Answers

• SharePoint is a Web based technology.  That means its connectionless, so it only updates information when you refresh the page or a portion of the page.  Its not just SharePoint, that's the way all web sites work.  Asynchronous javascript can be used to update a page or a portion of a page on a timed basis to keep it up to date, but the allitems.aspx page isn't written that way.

So yes, this is the way its expected to behave.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Matrix2603 Sunday, August 27, 2017 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by John.P.Smith Monday, August 28, 2017 6:39 AM
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:20 PM

All replies

• SharePoint is a Web based technology.  That means its connectionless, so it only updates information when you refresh the page or a portion of the page.  Its not just SharePoint, that's the way all web sites work.  Asynchronous javascript can be used to update a page or a portion of a page on a timed basis to keep it up to date, but the allitems.aspx page isn't written that way.

So yes, this is the way its expected to behave.

Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Matrix2603 Sunday, August 27, 2017 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by John.P.Smith Monday, August 28, 2017 6:39 AM
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:20 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

You said javascript can be used ( excluding allitems page ). Do you mean we design a javascript and put in a web part on a site page ( like scrpt editor web part ) ?

Thanks again.

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:39 AM
  • No.  I mean that some server side web parts and client side add-ins are designed to use Asynchronous Java Script (AJAX) to do partial page refreshes of content.  If a timer is also instantiated to refresh those AJAX components then the content on the page will refresh on a timed basis.  But the component displaying the content needs to be designed to work that way.  The default web parts used on Allitems.aspx are not designed that way.  You could build an alternate page that uses App Parts designed as AJAX controls to accomplish that, but it would be a lot of work and a performance hit.  Better to explain to users that they need to hit refresh to guarantee they are looking at the latest content.

Monday, August 28, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Thank you so much, Paul. That clears most of my doubts. :)

As per your suggestion i added the web part to a site page, and in the web part properties i indeed found the AJAX options. I enabled the asynchronous update, and set the timer to 15 sec's and now the web part automatically refreshes. I'm not sure if this will work always, but for now this solves my problem. 

Thank you once again for your kind assistance. 

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:05 AM
  • If the web part is written to use AJAX and a timer (as this one is) then it should work.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:36 AM
  • Gotcha.. Thank you.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:32 PM