none
Office 2019 on Mac crashes after OS update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, since the update of the Mac system to macOS Mojave version 10.14.6, my excel is crushing. It hangs every time when I launch the application. Called Microsoft and did the uninstall and reinstallation but the issue comes back in two days. Anyone has encountered the same issue and found a solution to it?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:59 AM

All replies

• To add on, i ame using Office 2019 for Mac. Home edition
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

What version number of Office did you use in Mac? 

How did you uninstall Office 2019 for MAC? Did you uninstall Office completely?

I suggest you refer to this support article and try the method it provides about uninstalling Office for MAC completely:

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/troubleshoot-office-for-mac-issues-by-completely-uninstalling-before-you-reinstall-ec3aa66e-6a76-451f-9d35-cba2e14e94c0

Please provide more information about your problem and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:48 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue but I don't know if my environment matches yours. I'm running the latest Mojave and Excel (Office 365 Pro Plus).

The issue seems to be with the Recent Files list. I regularly access VPNs for clients and open Excel files located on shared SMB volumes. Those get added to the Recent Files. If I then close the VPN connection and do anything that tries to display that Recent Files list, such as from the dock or File menu, Excel hangs. I then have to force-quit Excel. If I open the VPN connection and try the same steps, it works fine.

This happens even if I'm trying to open a file on my Mac, e.g., on the Desktop. Excel opens, but as soon as I right-click the dock or click the File menu, it hangs. After a minute or so I get an alert that a remote server (where I had originally opened the remote file) was not accessible. 

I was on the phone with Microsoft for an hour today. Their "solution" was that I need to be on the VPN to open the file. What they failed to understand was that I was NOT trying to open a file on the remote server so there was no need to open the VPN connection. I was trying to open a completely different file ON MY LOCAL MAC.

I even went through different scenarios to show that Excel worked fine provided the files were local, but hung if there is a recent file in the list and the VPN connection is not available.

I've seen the same behaviour with Word and Powerpoint.

I don't know if this is a problem with Mojave or Excel. Whichever, it's making Excel almost unusable for me.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:58 PM
  • I have the same problem with Word. It will crush on opening every time after I upgraded to the 10.14.6.  Really tiring.

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:33 AM
  • I have the same problem. It looks like it shows up because it cannot connect to the server one of the recently used files is hosted. When I disconnect my network and/or WiFi I can start Word and Excel as well.
    Monday, September 9, 2019 7:06 PM