none
Outlook 2010 - Folders disappear after moving mail items

Question

• We have a user that loves to file mail items into different folders.  After years of doing this, he has created an enormous number of folders (~150).  Since using Outlook 2010 (clean install), we have noticed that when he moves a mail item to one of these folders, the folder then disappears.  We tried hitting Ctrl-1, Ctrl-6, switching windows, but to no avail.  If we exit Outlook and launch it up again, the folder returns and the mail item that we moved shows up in the folder.  The problem is not always consistent, some folders seem to work fine, but most do not. 

Is this a bug that I hope Microsoft is working to resolve?  An easier workaround either than closing and restarting Outlook would be helpful if anyone has ideas?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:22 PM

Answers

• All,

FOUND A FIX!

I have struggled with this issue on a machine with Windows 7 32bit and Office 2010. My user would drag files from their Inbox into folders and the folders would disappear. So frustrating. I have found a hotfix from Microsoft that fixed my issue. You have to Google hotfix's that apply to Outlook 2010. They do not come across as Windows Updates or anywhere else. Please let me know if this helps...I have been following this post for a long time and I hope this helps everyone out. My users Outlook has worked for days without issue after this hotfix was applied.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475877

Good Luck!

• Proposed as answer by CALLTMS Friday, April 01, 2011 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by rosenstc Friday, June 24, 2011 5:00 PM
    Friday, April 01, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, try to reset the custom views by starting Outlook with the command: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Outlook.exe" /cleanviews

If the problem persists, Try Inbox repair tool:

1.       Click Start, and then point to Find or to Search, depending upon your operating system.

2.       In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe.

3.       Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.

4.       Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst) file or click Browse to locate the file by using the Windows file system.

5.       Click Start.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Proposed as answer by Lofrila Monday, March 25, 2013 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:14 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by rosenstc Friday, October 08, 2010 8:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rosenstc Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:57 AM
  •  

Cleaning the custom views did not help.

Since we are using Windows 7, Outlook 2010 and .ost files, I don't think we can use scanpst.exe.  In fact, a search does not find this file.  We are apparently not the only ones reporting this issue though, refer to this thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/6a2bc4e6-1834-468d-bf0b-fd090a264c1c

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:06 PM
  •  

We have also noticed that when we move mail items to sub-folders, it seems to work ok.  I suspect this is a bug that will hopefully get addressed.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested on my side, but could not reproduce this issue.

Are these folders in one PST or in different PSTs? Are there local folders or public folders?

You may also try to create a new Outlook profile and open the folders in the new profile to test the results.

Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail. Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Since we used the switch /ResetNavPane a few days ago, this user hasn't experience a problem.  For now, I think we're good.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Well... this user is reporting that folders are disappearing again.  Moving mail items to sub-folders seems still work OK though.  Let's hope for a bug fix.

• Edited by rosenstc Monday, October 11, 2010 4:29 PM typo
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:07 PM
  • Hi Rosenstc,

You’d better help the user scan his system for viruses and malware to see if the issue is caused by that.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:40 AM
  • This user can move email items to sub-folders but not the parent folder.   Other users have reported this issue as well.   I'll scan for malware, but this really looks like a software bug issue.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:34 PM
  • We too are experiencing this issue. New system, Window 7 x64, Office 2010. The user has many (over 100) folders at the same level as his inbox. When he drags an email from the inbox to one of these folders, "poof", the folder disappears.

No viruses on this PC, I've tried removing the existing Outlook profile and recreating it, same behavior. Appears to be a real live bug in Outlook.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:47 PM
  • we're having the same issue, newly built and installed machine W7 x64, Office 2010, upgraded from 2003. One PST file, POP3 access and several hunder folders mainly only one level down. 

Personally I am not having this issue using IMAP...

I hope you guys at Microsoft were able to reproduce the bug already as my user is not very thankful for me making her upgrade...

Friday, October 29, 2010 5:10 PM
  • This bug has been around for many months.  It doesn't happen every time and doesn't happen on all installations.  I have a dektop and Laptop, both with Office 2010 Pro, only the Desktop has this problem and it is NOT any errors in the Outlook file or Malware.  When you drag and drop into a personal folder (from Inbox or Sent box) , you maybe lucky and see it 'disappear', other wise you go back some time later to drag to that folder and it is not there.  Closing Outlook and restarting, restores the missing folder (or folder with subfolders) and nothing is missing AND the problem never repeats itself that day after the one restart of Outlook.

Would be nice for MS to acknowledge the fault and a solution

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I can also confirm the existence of this problem.  Out of several dozen Outlook 2010 users, I have one user with this very issue.  Unfortunately, that one user is a dean. ;)

Pertinent details are:

-Outlook 2010 on Vista Enterprise (32-bit) --I don't have the SP level but it's probably 2.
    -Office was upgraded from Office 2007.
    -Machine is a Dell D630.

Hope there's a fix out there.  If I find one I'll share it here.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:24 PM
  • I too have observed this since upgrading from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 Professional Plus on Windows 7 Enterprise, running on a Dell Optiplex 980. I use the standard Outlook IMSP connection, not IMAP.

For me, the folders always relocate to after my 'Sent' folder (left-over from migration from a previous server). A restart will re-alphabetize my folders, but they may start relocating again immediately, or after some undetermined length of time.

We've had to note this as a bug, so hopefully a patch will come out soon.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I have just experienced a very similar problem. In this case, the folder is not disappearing, but the actual e-mails.   The e-mail is visible in the folder for about 30 seconds, then just disappears.  It is not in the deleted items or any other folder...just gone.  It only occurs when dragging e-mails to folders that were just recently created.  Older folders and subfolders are fine.   Windows 7, 64-bit, Outlook 2010, Exchange 2003.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:35 PM
  • It is a similar issue what I am experiencing as described by MrSeank. I have windows 7 64 system and using outlook 2010. Now when I move my emails from the inbox to some subfolders the email just vanishes. Tried searching for it in deleted as well but could not find it. The only temporary solution which I found to the problem was to delete the original subfolder and create and new one and copy the mails to that one. But since I am dealing with a user who has created like almost 100 to 125 subfolders this task is just too time wasting. If there is any permanent solution to this problem please let me know.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:19 PM
  • We can also verify that this issue is still around at the end of March 2010.  So far, about 200 of our users have upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 as part of an Office 2010 Pro installation.  Of the 200 we currently have 5 that are reporting this issue.  Only with the root level folders, not any issues with sub-folder.

Thanks, John Moe

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:01 PM
  • I also have this issue and decided today to search for a fix and came on this site and finding others having the same issue. Running Windows 732bit with Office 2010 Professional.. I am going to try one of those above explanations and see how it works with my system /resetnavpane and  yes no viruses are on my system or malware
    • Proposed as answer by CALLTMS Friday, April 01, 2011 5:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CALLTMS Friday, April 01, 2011 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:57 PM
  • All,

FOUND A FIX!

I have struggled with this issue on a machine with Windows 7 32bit and Office 2010. My user would drag files from their Inbox into folders and the folders would disappear. So frustrating. I have found a hotfix from Microsoft that fixed my issue. You have to Google hotfix's that apply to Outlook 2010. They do not come across as Windows Updates or anywhere else. Please let me know if this helps...I have been following this post for a long time and I hope this helps everyone out. My users Outlook has worked for days without issue after this hotfix was applied.

Good Luck!

• Proposed as answer by CALLTMS Friday, April 01, 2011 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by rosenstc Friday, June 24, 2011 5:00 PM
    Friday, April 01, 2011 5:57 PM
  • In our case the problem turned out to be a corrupted Outlook cache (OST) file.  When turning off caching, the problem disappears.
    Friday, April 01, 2011 7:18 PM
  • We are experiencing a problem that appears to be related.  We use shared folders for teams to put emails about projects in so that they are all in the same place.  Most users are 2007.  One of our 2010 users moved some folders and emails to the shared area.  All the folders showed up there empty.  Also, other folders that were under her inbox were also now empty.  I have downloaded the hot fix a couple of messages above, but I did not see in the info if it will bring back the missing emails or just prevent this from happening again.

Koke

Monday, April 04, 2011 6:56 PM
  •  

Has anyone else tried this hotfix?  I wanted to confirm that this indeed resolves the issue of moving emails to parent folders.  

fyi... The emails are not lost, they do come back after your close and restart Outlook.

Monday, April 04, 2011 8:33 PM
  • There is also a scanOST to repair the OST files. If you don't want to turn off caching.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:47 AM
  • THANKS CALLTMS!  The problem of folders disappearing is FINALLY solved!
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Hi CallTMS,

My issue is similar but not exactly the same - I have a number of folders (enough that I have to scroll to see them all) and when I drag from my inbox to one of the folders mine too appear to disappear...

They are in fact just moved to below the Sent Items folder and I just need to scroll down the folder bar and there they are!

Do you know if the hotfix resolves that issue?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:59 PM
  • CALLTMS's hotfix seems to work!
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:01 PM
  • I am also reporting here that the hotfix reported by CALLTMS worked for me.  This happened on 1 user here at my client's.  Very odd bug indeed.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Will this hotfix work for Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2010?  I downloaded the hotfix, but with all the warnings that come with it, I'm afraid to run the install until I know that it will work with my setup.

Thank you in advance for any reply!

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I too am having this problem.  I have a large pst file with many folders.  I was moving an e-mail from the Inbox to one of the larger folders and the folder disappeared.  I looked through all the Personal Folders but did not find it.  I closed out of Outlook 2010 and restarted.  No Folder.  I re-booted the computer.  No folder.  I Searched the computer and found the files.  I created a new folder and moved the files to this folder.  The next day the files (e-mails) were gone but not the folder.  I checked the archive files - no luck.  My archive settings Do Not include deleting any e-mails.  I searched online for an answer.  I tried to run the Inbox Repair Tool.  The process never completed.  I would get a "Not Responding" message.  I tried to run it several times and gave up.  I have Searched the computer again and found the missing e-mails and moved them again to a new Personal Folder.  I noted that some important e-mails are missing. (I had hard copies).  A Hot Fix was mentionned in this forum but a link was not given.  Can anyone help?
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:28 PM
  • This hotfix did work for us, and it is located at:

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:33 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475877

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:34 PM