none
Why is there still no unified Inbox in Outlook 2010???

Question

• I cannot believe that Outlook still has no unified Inbox.  MS have done it in Office 2011 Outlook for Mac, Apple have it on iPads, iPhones, etc. so why do we poor Windows users have to suffer?

It is a real pain to still have to click on 4 inboxes to see my mails.  I've tried doing this by introducing rules that move incoming mails to a new folder, but that didn't really work with IMAP accounts.

There must be a solution to this as I can't believe we've gone on so long without it.

Friday, November 5, 2010 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Consider your feedback submitted. I am sending that to the product group for you.

In the meantime, you could group the various Inbox folders (and others) in the Favorites section of the Navigation Pane.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

• In the set up of each "mail account" you can have them put into your main inbox.  All you have to do is click on the 'mail account' and at the bottom of the screen it ask which folder to deliver the mail to.  You can also set up each account to use the same reply e-mail or keep them separate.  (it's available in Outlook 2007 as well)
    Friday, November 5, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Sorry, but that is incorrent.  You cannot do that with IMAP accounts - only POP.  (Should have made it more clear, I guess. I have 1 POP and 3 IMAP accounts.)

Thanks, but still searching for a solution.  Why is this so difficult?

Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Outlook 2010 does not present any direct way to create a single Inbox folder, containing all mails from different account. By creating new rules you can easily setup a generic Inbox folder for receiving all mails in one folder. Thus, you don’t need to check each account for new emails manually since all emails will be collected in a single folder.

Here are the detailed steps on creating a simple rule which will direct all received emails to the specified folder.

============

1.       Launch Outlook 2010 and from left sidebar, select an account, right-click it and hit New Folder. From Create New Folder dialog, enter an appropriate name and click OK.

2.       Now head over to Home tab and click Manage Rules & Alerts from Rules drop-down button.

manage rules and alerts

3.       From Rules and Alerts dialog, select an account and click New Rule.

4.       In Rules Wizard, we will start off with creating a blank rule, click Apply rule on messages I receive and hit Next.

5.       In this step of the wizard enable through the specified account option. From bottom of the dialog window click specified account and select the desired account from Account dialog window, and click OK.

6.       You will see the specified account in the bottom of dialog window. Now click Next to continue

7.       In this step, enable move it to the specified folder option, now click specified in the bottom of the window and select the Generic Inbox folder recently created, from new Rules and Alerts dialog.

8.       You will see the folder name in the bottom of the window. Click Finish to end the wizard.

9.       It will bring you back to Rules and Alerts dialog, showing newly created rule. Click OK to apply this newly created rule.

For associating this folder with other accounts, repeat the whole procedure to direct all mails from multiple accounts to Generic Inbox folder. On receiving emails, you will see all the emails in the specified mail folder.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Monday, November 8, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Thanks Sally, but did you read my first post?

This method just doesn't work with IMAP accounts. Well, it works, but all it does is move emails to another folder, and doesn't allow them to be retained in their original Inbox. Also, I believe this method stops the mails being seen by other devices, but I'll have to investigate that.

All that is required here is for Outlook to have a 'unified' Inbox where all mails from all accounts are shown together or separately if required. Moving mails around is not the answer.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with this. If MS can have a unified Inbox in Outlook for Mac, then why not Windows?  It's crazy.  It's a mess that needs to be sorted out.

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:22 AM
  • OK, so if there is no solution to this - and I find it rather amazing - then does anyone know how I can send feedback to MS on this?
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

Consider your feedback submitted. I am sending that to the product group for you.

In the meantime, you could group the various Inbox folders (and others) in the Favorites section of the Navigation Pane.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Thanks for that.

Yes, I have them in the Favourites section, but that still involves clicking on each one to see the contents.

I have also noticed that even the free Thunderbird has the facility for a Global Inbox, either directly, or via a virtual folder. That is all that is needed.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Sally, I believe you have marked this thread as being answered.

I don't mean to moan, but it hasn't been answered. All that has happened is that Abdias has - very kindly - submitted my feedback to the product group on this glaring omission in Outlook.

I wouldn't call that an answer, would you?

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

When others searching on unified mailbox find this forum post (which has a very descriptive subject, by the way), the "answered" tag will direct other users to see that it's a current feature limitation and that Microsoft has already been made aware of it. Without the "answered" tag, they might assume that the thread won't give them any guidance regarding the issue and they may skip opening it to read the details.

I know we don't have the solution that you and other customers would like, so that's something the product group will be working on. I hope that it's okay in the sense that your question was answered.

Thank you again for the feedback,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for that Abdias. I understand now.

Your help is appreciated.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I would echo exactly the same thing.  I firmly believe that Microsoft Outlook has lagged behind other simpler e-mail clients in this feature.  Indeed, the implementation of Thunderbird and Mac OS X Mail is 100% spot on with this feature.

In Mac OS X Mail, I have 18 IMAP accounts, my hotmail and around 50 RSS feeds all working flawlessly and very quickly.  I do love Outlook on my PC for the Calendar, Contacts, Tasks & Notes but the Mail part is sluggish and lacks this very simple and tremendously useful feature.

I should add that the unified folders functionality should work both across IMAP and POP accounts, i.e. it should be able to aggregate seamlessly from both types of accounts.

Just for the record, I have been using MS Office 2007 patiently, expecting that MS Office 2010 would have unified folders in Mail.  As I discovered that it doesn't, I decided not to upgrade to 2010.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:09 AM
  • Well, almost another 3 months on, and still no proper implementation of IMAP accounts in Outlook, far less the Unified Inbox.

Very disappointing.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:53 AM
  • I hope you're not holding your breath. I've wasted a whole afternoon trying do what you are trying to do and am losing ground.

Good luck

Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I would echo exactly the same thing.  I firmly believe that Microsoft Outlook has lagged behind other simpler e-mail clients in this feature.  Indeed, the implementation of Thunderbird and Mac OS X Mail is 100% spot on with this feature.

It's worse than that!  MS have it working perfectly in Outlook for Mac 2011.  Why should us poor Windows users have to suffer?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:31 PM
  • I am a computer scientist who runs software development. I have diligently used and sworn by MS Outlook since 1997. Every new version, I have upgraded and painstakingly learned the details of the new software such that I could take full advantage of it, including transferring my emails from the previous system (yes, I still have emails from 1997 in my outlook 2007). 

In the past two years, I have become frustrated first with outlook's sluggishness when using email (freezes and slow-downs, as well as outright crashes). Despite hiring the best IT support team in Boston, the best we could learn is that outlook just doesn't handle IMAP that well at all, and is the cause of the sluggishness. 

Beyond this, the lack of unified inbox, and reliable conversation threading has been something I've tolerated with increasing frustration. Note that the conversation view in Outlook 2010 will only work without obvious errors for exchange users if you also have Exchange Server 2010 installed. That means they're years late to giving us conversation view, and now they've given it to us -- we just have to wait another couple years for IT departments to upgrade the Exchange Server before it'll work. 

For the lack of unified inbox, conversation threading (that is convenient to use and not full of errors), and an email client that doesn't freeze all the time, I have now switched to Mozilla Thunderbird. 

I just can't wait for Microsoft anymore. Outlook 2010 claims to have improved IMAP support, only to an angry chorus of disappointed customers who say it's still terrible. The rest just isn't even there. 

As a long-time extremely loyal outlook user, they've lost me. 

Thunderbird is simple, and -- surprisingly -- works wonderfully (or put differently, it actually works, which is more than many of those in this thread can say of outlook). Unified inbox, lack of freezes, conversation threading, etc. I recommend you give it a try and see for yourself.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:08 PM
  • I agree with everything you say except about Thunderbird.  Yes, it is a good email client, BUT, it doesn't do Calendars or sync to the cloud. That is why I still can't move from Outlook even though I want to because of its appalling performance with IMAP.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Just thought i'd help you out here:

Try EMClient it has a free version (but only supports 2 accounts) that does everything outlook does, and everything Mail on the mac does.  Supports my caldav server, my webdav server, everything.  Syncs with mac osx server for calendars, address book, and jabber.  Great imap support too, imported everything including my calendars from outlook.

It's definitely an Outlook replacement.  Like $50 to buy the full version though, which I thought was well worth it considering Outlooks price.

I want to like Outlook 2010 but all my accounts are imap, it just ... sucks.  So slow and keeps freezing especially since I had all my emails going to my Gmail at point out and it's got over 40,000 emails

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:31 PM
  • I couldn't agree more with you.  I am very disappointed that Outlook does not have a unified inbox.  "Favorites" are not the answer, as like you stated, still involve clicking on different folders.  And I've also found it unreliable as the "new message number indicator" doesn't always show until you actually click on the folder.  Using rules to move them to different folders doesn't work great either as it just moves them to that new folder so when I go to look at the message on my iPhone the message is gone. You could copy rather than move, but then when you delete the message on one (Outlook or iPhone) you still need to delete it on the other.

It works perfectly on the iPhone.  I'd move to Thunderbird, but I too have the Calendar problem.  While the Calendar client by Mozilla is nice, I haven't found a great way for it to sync with Google Calendars (which is how my husband and I share our family calendar and how I then sync back to my iPhone).  Mozilla's Calendar does have an add-on to bring in the Google Calendar, but it's more like a "view" of the calendar, you have to be online to see it - so I lose my calendar when I lose my internet connection (which is rare, but would be a real pain).

Hopefully, the next version of Outlook for Windows will have the unified inbox as it apparently does for the Mac version.  Or maybe I should just buy a Mac!

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:05 PM
  • It is very strange that Outlook 2010 doesn't allow unified folder (even for imap account) while Outlook 2011 for Mac and Thunderbird does... 

Mozilla Thunderbird indeed allows you to unify all your email accounts into a single folder since the version 3.x while Outlook 2010 doesn't. It indeed doesn't have a calendar functionality but the Lightning extension enables it...

In order to sync this calendar with Google, you just have to follow the instructions provided by Google (Look for "Get started with CalDAV" in Google Help).

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Nice try!!! I have tried this over and over.  Every couple of days, Outlook 2010 resets my Favorites to some default list, removing the inboxes for my other accounts.  This worked perfectly in 2007, so I don't understand why it's broken now!  If someone knows of a fix, please post it!!
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

Since you are able to reproduce this quite consistently, please contact Microsoft support so that they can troubleshoot with you. The reset could be due to third-party add-ins your client. Barring that, the support technician can enable a debug trace on your client. As soon as your Favorites are reset to default, you stop the trace and have Microsoft analyze it.

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Thanks Sally, but did you read my first post?

This method just doesn't work with IMAP accounts. Well, it works, but all it does is move emails to another folder, and doesn't allow them to be retained in their original Inbox. Also, I believe this method stops the mails being seen by other devices, but I'll have to investigate that.

All that is required here is for Outlook to have a 'unified' Inbox where all mails from all accounts are shown together or separately if required. Moving mails around is not the answer.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with this. If MS can have a unified Inbox in Outlook for Mac, then why not Windows?  It's crazy.  It's a mess that needs to be sorted out.

This is exactly the case. Creating a rule, lumps the emails together in a "unified inbox" but removes them from the server, therefore all most completely defeating the purpose of IMAP. Removing the emails from the server kills synchronization across multiple devices(clients as well) (ie. handhelds, desktops, laptops, tablets). It's horrendous that I have to tell clients that, unless they switch clients, their request is impossible to execute. That makes my client look at me as though I am incapable.

I'm absolutely positive, I have lost opportunities due to this pathetic limitation.

I only resurrected this comment to bring the "unified inbox rule" server-side IMAP issue to greater light so some poor soul doesn't attempt it and potentially lose a client or worse, data.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I cannot believe that Outlook still has no unified Inbox.  MS have done it in Office 2011 Outlook for Mac, Apple have it on iPads, iPhones, etc. so why do we poor Windows users have to suffer?

Yes, it's strange that even the free Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 has unified Inbox, while the expensive "high end" Outlook 2010 lacks it. If Microsoft were smart they would break tradition to fix IMAP and add unified Inbox in a service pack rather than waiting until Office 2011 (12 or whatever) is released (if they will even do it then). By the time the next Outlook version is released Microsoft will have lost many customers.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:59 PM
  • It makes it hard as a Microsoft Partner - trying to on-sell business solutions to clients, and then telling them that the only way they can access their email on their computer, and smartphones in a single unified inbox is to utilize open source mail solutions... developed by the community for the community. Not trying to leverage old architecture to increase profits. Goodbye income stream... goodbye Microsoft.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Thanks for the tip of using Windows Live Mail.  It does just what I need for now, and lets me keep my email accounts synchronized between my phone & computer easily.  Wish Outlook did this, since it's my preferred program, but a unified IMAP inbox is more important and Windows Live Mail is practically Outlook Lite, it's got so many of the same features.

Monday, August 22, 2011 3:47 AM
  • The answer here is not to have all emails go into one account.  The unfied inbox feature should retain the ability to view each account separately too.  Android has this feature.  MS Win Outlook should too.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

as this has been submitted in 2010 is there any progress on this unified inbox in outlook 2010 please

slavo

Monday, December 5, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hello,

RE: A single, unified inbox in Microsoft Outlook

How do we escalate this feature request from NOVEMBER 2010?!?!?!?   Even my ruddy phone can do this!!!

Sure, i could vote with my feet and switch to one of the many rival products but I actually like Outlook 2010 (Crazy me!).

The sad thing is implementing is roughly 2hrs of coding coupled with a week of regression testing - it could be out in a patch in one month if it got in front of the right person...how??? Simple - Outlook 2010 already has very good instant-search capabilities; it can/does index your mail accross all accounts and you can do a unified search in an instant (ever tried hitting Ctrl-Alt-A while in any mail folder? So, you're probably seeing where i'm going with this one....but if not, then you should probably escalate this post to someone in MS who does.

Just to make things interesting, I'm planning to ask The Register and Slashdot to link to this post in exactly 30 calendar days from today (maybe C.N*T too...does anyone still read that??)...Kurt DelBene* - Your time starts now :)

Regards,

LadyTskMgr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Kurt Del-who??...

Kurt DelBene

Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:31 AM
  • I must say I agree with all the comments on this thread.  This unified inbox is long overdue.  Of all the Microsoft mail products Outlook should have been the first to receive the unified inbox. After all, we PAY for it. The rest of the programs are free.

Anyone pushing for this feature has my support.

PFCVS1

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:16 PM
  • I must say that i am very disappointed in all of you... I have Outlook 2010 and HAVE A UNIFIED INBOX.

You just need to adjust your datafiles to have the new messages sent to your inbox.  I am currently doing this for several different SMTP/POP accounts INCLUDING GMAIL.

Please let me know if i need to post pictures for you to accomplish this.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Sorry, but that is not the solution. It just doesn't work for IMAP accounts.  Who uses POP accounts in the days of multiple devices?

Please read the whole thread.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:57 AM
  • How do we escalate this feature request from NOVEMBER 2010?!?!?!?   Even my ruddy phone can do this!!!Sure, i could vote with my feet and switch to one of the many rival products but I actually like Outlook 2010 (Crazy me!)
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Ok, I'm writing this because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to do a unified inbox for Outlook 2010. I will give out a simple 3 step workaround and then one that is a little more elaborate. 

First let's agree that Unified Inbox is no more than a particular "VIEW" of your Inbox mails on different account. So this is the same as querying your inboxes. So we can resolve this by doing a simple global query:

Workaround Solution:
    1) Press Ctr+Alt+A
    2) Type the following in the search box: folder: (Inbox) received: (this week)
    3) Hit enter and you should see your Unified inbox for all mails received this week.

A more elaborate solution to automate this is to do a Macro. Won't go into how to do this, but this is the code you need:

1) This is the code for a UNIFIED INBOX:
    Sub UnifiedInbox()
    Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application
    txtSearch = "folder:Inbox received: (this week)"
    myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.Search txtSearch, olSearchScopeAllFolders
    Set myOlApp = Nothing
    End Sub

2) This is the code for a UNIFIED SENT BOX:
    Sub UnifiedSentbox()
    txtSearch = "folder: (Sent Mail) sent: (this week)"
    Set myOlApp = Nothing
    End Sub

3) Add Buttons to Your Bar:

Finally add custom buttons to your Ribbon to call the respective Macros so you can quickly toggle the Unified Inbox when needed.

By now you should get the idea, so tweak per your own needs!
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:42 PM
  • If it's that easy, why hasn't Microsoft come up with an automatic view for this?  I gotta program my fancy email client to do something this basic? 

Looking for a solution like any sensible person, I stumble across this thread two years after it was created and the problem is still there!!  Un-effing-believable.  When the rest of the world has moved forward and mighty MSFT has remained frozen in place, you can see the end of the empire ...

Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:10 AM
  • It is unbelievable, and is one of the reasons I moved to Mac a year ago.  Funnily enough, Outlook for Mac has a unified Inbox!  Embarrassing really.
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Having just switched back to PC after seven years in Mac land, I took it for granted that MS would have this sussed - afterall they do in Windows Live Essentials.

Really really disappointing that this basic 'must have' is missing.

Come on Microsoft - when are we going to see this give?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:36 PM
  • All solutions posted here are half-baked, clunky solutions trying to make up for a MAJOR oversight on Microsoft's part.  Usually when their software has such a big hole, it is because they are trying to drive sales of their server products like Exchange.  

This is just pathetic.  I've always been a Microsoft user.  My sister works their and I live 10 minutes from their headquarters.  However, I've been using Thunderbird for 2 years and love it.  But there are no add-ons with ActiveSync capability in order to sync a Hotmail Calendar with Lightning.  Its because Thunderbird is from the free software community and ActiveSync has license fees charged by Microsoft.  You can use GSyncit with Outlook (for $20) but I can't live without true unified folders.  If the Search Folders function could be created to search more than one account and the folder could be inserted into Favorites, that MIGHT be acceptable.

The search macro is a clunky solution and makes the folder hierarchy view on the left pretty much useless.  Does the search automatically update as new messages come into all the accounts? I think not.  Is there an unread count. Nope.  Lame.

It's stuff like this that wants me to avoid using Microsoft products in general.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Now November 2012 and using Office 2013 (as an MS Partner) and.....

STILL no unified inbox

Ironically, not only does Mac have it but also Windows Phone 7 has the option!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:16 PM
  • All you have to do is the following:

1. Create a new pst data file:

File/Account Settings. This will bring up "Account Settings" dialog box. Click on "Data Files" tab. Click on "Add.." and add a new ".pst" file. Call it "MyMail" or something. Close the dialog box and go to "Home"

2. Click on the newly created "MyMail" data file. Create a new folder in it called "Inbox"

3. Go back to File/Account Settings. In the "Account Settings" dialog box, choose "Email" tab. Click on each of your email account and in the bottom of the dialog box, you will see "Change Folder". Choose the newly created "Inbox" folder in "MyMail" data file.

Voila!! all your new email will be delivered in the "Inbox" in your "MyMail" data file.

Going one step further....

4. Click on the "Inbox" folder in the "MyMail" data file. In the right side, you see the emails and the columns "From", "Subject", "Received" etc. Hover your mouse pointer over any of the coulumn headers and right click and choose "View Settings". The "Advanced View Settings" dialog box shows up. Click on "Columns". The "Show Columns" dialog box shows up.

5. In the dialog box choose "All Mail Fields" in the "Select Available Columns" drop down. In the "Available Columns" list, add "Email Account" to the right hand side list. Move it up or down the list. Click OK twice and look at your newly created Inbox and you can see the email messages and the accounts they came in to.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:28 PM

File/Account Settings. This will bring up "Account Settings" dialog box. Click on "Data Files" tab. Click on "Add.." and add a new ".pst" file. Call it "MyMail" or something. Close the dialog box and go to "Home"

2. Click on the newly created "MyMail" data file. Create a new folder in it called "Inbox"

3. Go back to File/Account Settings. In the "Account Settings" dialog box, choose "Email" tab. Click on each of your email account and in the bottom of the dialog box, you will see "Change Folder". Choose the newly created "Inbox" folder in "MyMail" data file.

Voila!! all your new email will be delivered in the "Inbox" in your "MyMail" data file.

4. Click on the "Inbox" folder in the "MyMail" data file. In the right side, you see the emails and the columns "From", "Subject", "Received" etc. Hover your mouse pointer over any of the coulumn headers and right click and choose "View Settings". The "Advanced View Settings" dialog box shows up. Click on "Columns". The "Show Columns" dialog box shows up.

5. In the dialog box choose "All Mail Fields" in the "Select Available Columns" drop down. In the "Available Columns" list, add "Email Account" to the right hand side list. Move it up or down the list. Click OK twice and look at your newly created Inbox and you can see the email messages and the accounts they came in to.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:29 PM

2. Click on the newly created "MyMail" data file. Create a new folder in it called "Inbox"

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Fishersman, does this work for IMAP accounts?  Earlier proposals like this only worked for POP3 accounts.

I'm actually surprised that a non-MS plugin developer hasn't been able to come up with a Unified Inbox view pane of some kind.  I'm one of the many here who runs both Outlook (for all things NOT email) and as of recently, Thunderbird (for IMAP email).  I upgraded to Outlook 2010 this month only to find out that:

- new message counts for Inbox folders don't refresh unless you navigate into that folder

- changing Send/Receive Settings doesn't seem to change that behavior just mentioned

- I have to navigate from Inbox to Inbox to get Outlook 2010 to refresh the new messages

- The "Rules" options presented here only work for POP3, not IMAP, and basically are not acceptable because they move messages out of IMAP accounts and into local stores, which defeats the whole purpose of IMAP to begin with.

- Outlook 2010 is sluggish!  Frequent "(Not Responding)" indicators. 

- Disappointed that every other platform I use has this functionality.

This is a very, very easy fix for Microsoft, as mentioned earlier in this thread.  It's one Unified Inbox "View" and we're done, and hopefully, some retooling of the code to make IMAP not such a resource hog and causing the freezes all of the time.

Come on, MS, get it together!

Alex

Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:33 PM
  • I'm afraid that Fisherman hasn't read the full thread and is only talking about POP3 and not IMAP. 

He's just describing the standard method of getting a Unified mailbox with POP3 accounts.  That method has been around forever.  Unfortunately, it isn't relevant for IMAP accounts.  As far as I know MS have done absolutely Zip with this problem.

I use macros similar to those mentioned earlier in the thread with one running at startup and buttons to run others as required (for Inbox & Sent).  It works, "sort of" with Win 7 but XP users have problems with list not refreshing (deletes remain for ages + other oddities).  It's a pain to work around and Win 7 isn't perfect either.

I've stuck with Outlook since it came out.  Fine with Exchange, but even then you need to have recent version (that's the point of course).  Think I'll give up soon and investigate moving to something else.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:43 AM
  • I know someone has already mentioned this, but I wanted to provide step by step instructions (should take anyone about 5 minutes to complete;)

Create a unified Inbox view in Outlook 2007/2010:
    While in Outlook

1. Alt+F11
    2. Project1>>Microsoft Office Outlook>>double click ThisOutlookSession
    3. Input this code:

Sub UnifiedInbox()

Set myOlApp = Nothing
    End Sub

4. Save this macro (by clicking save)
    5. In Outlook click View>>Toolbars>>Customize…
    6. Select Commands tab and click on Macros in the left hand column
    7. Drag your macro to the toolbar and place it where you want it
    8. To change the name and icon

-without closing the “customize” windows right click the macro you just placed
    -name it whatever you want
    -change the button icon to whatever you want (you can also copy a button icon form somewhere else and paste it in to your button:)

9. Tools>>Trust Center...>>Macro Security>>select "No security
    check for macros"
    10. Click OK, shut down Outlook, make sure Outlook is
    turned off, restart and test

Some thoughts to consider are that we are still limited by the search criteria available; where I would like to search the past 10 or 20 days I am unable to do this.  So instead I simply created two separate macros, one for this week and one for last week.  My project file looks like this:

Sub UnifiedInbox()
    Set myOlApp = Nothing
    End Sub
    Sub UnifiedInboxlast()
    txtSearch = "folder:Inbox received: (last week)"
    Set myOlApp = Nothing
    End Sub

I have two buttons, one called "All Inbox This Week" and one called "All Inbox Last Week".  Depednding on how much mail you recieve and how well you organize it, you may want to change your macro to display this month instead of this week.

• Edited by compooter Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:13 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:40 PM
  • to help guide others, I've created step-by-step screenshots for Diane's macro button technique, at tinkertry.com/outlook2013inboxall
    • Edited by tinkererguy Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:12 PM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:10 PM
  • I just migrated over from Windows Live Mail and WLM has a folder for ALL your UNREAD mail including POP and IMAP. This is ridiculous.
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:29 AM
  • My experience exactly. Baffled. I could choose all unread, all inbox, all junk, and a half dozen other predefined favorites on WLM.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:08 AM
  • UNIFIED INBOX?  SIMPLE...

I'm surprised that everyone in this thread was having so much difficulty with this.  Outlook 2010 and 2013 both support a unified inbox.  It extremely easy to setup, and the email client has this functionality built in.  You just have to click a button to enable it.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

From Outlook 2010 or 2013

1. File
    2. Account Settings (Drop Down)
    3. Account Settings (List item)
    4. Highlight an account that should be delivered to the UNIFIED inbox
    5. Click "Change Folder"
    6. Select the UNIFIED inbox where you would like all mail delivered
    7. Click "OK"

This method works flawlessly with ALL ACCOUNT TYPES that are supported by Microsoft Outlook:

• Exhange
    • POP
    • IMAP

A google search even produces this screen shot of another user configuring Outlook 2010 this way:
    http://www.slipstick.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/delivery-location.png

That's all there is to it.  No fancy scripts are required, and no clunky rules are needed.

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Your solution does not work with IMAP accounts. The "Change Folder" button disappears when you select any IMAP account. The screen shot you have linked to doesn't have any IMAP accounts in it. It has MAPI accounts but not IMAP.
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Hi all

Well.. I was in the same boat as you guys... missing my "it's my right to have" unified inbox..

and I've read many posts regarding this issue.. and many solutions.. 

Here's my take... which actually seems to work... there's a caveat.. but isn't there always..

I did the vba bit and I tried many other things.. here's what works for me:

Follow the guide to add a macro to outlook... let's assume you just now pressed ALT+F11 and opened up the 'this outlooksession'

Add this to the EMPTY big white box:

Private Sub Application_NewMail()
    txtSearch = "folder:Inbox received:this week"
    Set myOlApp = Nothing
    End Sub

Save it.. close vb editor. maybe you need to close outlook.. I dunno...

But do that... make sure outlook is totally gone... perhaps for once this is the time to use "file->exit"..

Then restart outlook... 

sit and wait i awe... or just send a test email to one or multiple of your email addresses... 

to explain what happens.. 

when I receive an email in my outlook.. it triggers the macro (I didn't mention this but I didn't even create a button) .. the macro searches for all new messages for the week... and show them to me..

Now when you click around in your folders.. you loose your unified inbox.. yes... but hey... who cares... Create a new macro for the search.. create a button.. and you're good to go..

But I like that I am presented with the newest emails .. I can take action on them.. maybe even clear up all the new emails.. so my search is empty .. (I should be so lucky)

If you have any problems with this not firing or something not working as it's supposed to... chances are that I can't help.. I have no idea how macros and vb works.. I just use it..

Anyway.. that's what I've done.. and it works for me in outlook 2013 32bit on windows 8 64bit.

Kindest regards, Martin

Monday, August 5, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Oh.. I am using this with Hotmail, Gmail & some pop3 provider.. with no apparent issues..

Kindest regards, Martin

Monday, August 5, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Well....here we are: 2014.

- The Seahawks won the Superbowl.

- There's no unified inbox in Outlook 2013.

You're risking an aneurysm if you try to figure out either of those statements.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:45 PM
  • It is disappointing that 3.5 years later, and Outlook 2013 has still not addressed this basic and essential requirement for today's workplace, where we are checking email on various devices, need to keep different email accounts separate, yet want to quickly view all our emails in one Inbox. 

Microsoft staff were viewing and participating in this discussion (and submitting the feedback to the technical team) back in 2010.  

Can we get an update as to why Outlook 2013 didn't address the shortcoming? 

Also, is there any plan to offer a truly Unified Inbox (that works for IMAP) for future versions of Outlook? 

Thank you.  

Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:18 PM
  • We should be so lucky... it's an amazing omission.

I hope someone @ microsoft's tea is cold and yucky!

Kindest regards, Martin

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:48 PM
  • Hi. Before I try this I wanted to be sure. I share a positional or shared mailbox with my team. I would like to see the emails that come into this in my personal mailbox. Will doing the steps you have outlined affect the other team members, or will nothing be changed for them if I follow these steps.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:30 AM
  • Well....here we are: 2014.

- The Seahawks won the Superbowl.

- There's no unified inbox in Outlook 2013.

You're risking an aneurysm if you try to figure out either of those statements.

Hehehe. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but to be honest, people need to update thinking to reflect reality; this feature isn't coming any time soon, if ever.

Microsoft is on its way out, losing money everywhere. Take a look over the past 4-5 years.

Product quality is terrible.
    Pre-sales is a joke.
    Support is... a waste of time, at best.

I installed Win 8.1 today at home... the installer still can't detect any drives when the controller is in 'RAID' mode. It can after it is installed though, but then goes in to a BSOD loop. I suppose its back to hacking together a custom image with XP raid drivers... was really hoping I'd never have to do that again.

MS is pushing Exchange hard, because it is one of the few products they still have a decent monopoly on. All of the features discussed in this thread, and more are available easily and immediately on newer versions of Exchange. 

Oh, and exchange LIVE too, let's not forget about that. I investigated that route for about a week, until we (MS "support" and I) determined it was a design limitation of Outlook not to be able to use HTML as a task/event (making it near impossible to auto generate tasks/events based on HTML emails, or even sync tasks/events with HTML coherently). For those who don't know much of character encoding, the *entire* Hyper Text Markup Language is composed of ANSI characters, a grand total of 96 bits required, or 128 with the control characters for transferring over a physical medium (like say... TELEGRAPH LINES)!

So, I'd advise you to at least upgrade to a telegraph machine, and look towards the future, not the slowly crumbling past. 

---

Please Microsoft, make my day, and prove me wrong. I've been saying this year after year though, and year after year it gets worse.

Steve F

*edit*  Proposed as answer. More valuable than a post saying "we know". I suggest everyone to do the same.

• Proposed as answer by AIDevelopment Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:34 AM
    • Edited by AIDevelopment Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:33 AM
  • microsoft cannot hear from us, no, their products are the jobs for their programmers, not for end users.

:)

I am using the thunderbird now

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Try Mailbird. Good looking UI with everything you need.  I have been using it for some time and never go anywhere near Outlook any more.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:18 PM