Outlook Mobile App for Exchange on-premise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Small question...

Can you use the Outlook Mobile App to connect to your own Exchange on-premise environment, without having Office 365?

Kind regards,
    Andreas

AN

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, of course. You can use Outlook for mobile to connect to your on-premises Exchange server.

Here is an article for you to learn about setting up email in the Outlook for mobile, more information can be check from the navigation bar in the left: Set up email in the Outlook for Android app

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for the response!

It looks like you need an O365 subscription and hybrid Exchange configured?

Or does Outlook Mobile App also work for a company that has no O365 subscription?

AN

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Organizations users without O365 subscription can use Outlook for Mobile as well. There is an expander in the article, you can click to open it for details about connecting to an on-premises Exchange server. It's easy to be ignored:

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Did you click the expander for more information?

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:52 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

It looks like our users could get it to work now.

AN

Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Hi.

Glad to here that and thanks for your update. If you get help from above suggestions, please don't forget to mark it as answer. This may help more people with similar problems. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, August 12, 2019 1:43 AM
  • Does this setup you mention, "If you connect to an on-premises Exchange server" still use basic authentication, which uses the cloud also, according to this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/clients/outlook-for-ios-and-android/use-basic-auth?view=exchserver-2019

Which states:

"For Exchange Server mailboxes, Outlook for iOS and Android's new architecture is similar in design to its legacy architecture. However, as the service is now built directly into the Microsoft Cloud (using Office 365 and Microsoft Azure)"

Friday, November 29, 2019 8:55 PM
  • This is all so very needlessly complicated and poorly communicated. What I'm interpreting is that there is absolutely no way whatsoever to use Outlook for iOS/Android with on-premises Exchange without having the email and password being sent (at least it is encrypted) to Microsoft's cloud services? Is that true? 

A straightforward way to get the answer I need:

Can I use Outlook for Android/iOS to connect to my on-premises Exchange server for email access without having my email credentials passed in any form to Microsoft's cloud services?

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 11:43 PM
  • As far as I've been able to tell, no.   Using the Outlook app for IOS/Android always proxies everything through Exchange Online (stated in the link provided by DanFoxley above).  I just found this out myself today as well. 

Now what I'm trying to figure out is if it will still keep working for 'Basic Authentication' after the Oct 2020 cutoff in Exchange Online. Even though we are fully On-Premise, the Outlook app goes through Exchange Online and I can't find any specific documentation stating if it'll still allow Basic Authentication after the cutoff to on-premise only (no hybrid) sites.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:02 PM
  • Same, there's little to no information about how to configure it to work with outlook app. 

I've tried adding 80/443 for all these fqdns and subnets per microsoft support and still it won't work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges

Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:14 PM