none
VSS Error: "An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly re-synchronized with the original volumes."

Question

• Hi all,

at a customer’s site I’ve a problem with a fresh installation of Backup Exec 2014. Every backup (full or incremental) always reports the following error: “An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly re-synchronized with the original volumes.”.

It’s not a Backup Exec problem itself, also backups using “Windows Server Backup” failing with the same error.

On this site I have three servers; the error is only generated for one of them. Here’s a short overview:

Server1: Windows Server 2012 R2, latest patchlevel, physical machine, Domain Controller and Fileserver. Backup Exec is installed on this machine, backup is written directly to SAS tape loader. There error is generated on this server.

Server2: Windows Server 2008 R2, latest patchlevel, virtual machine, running on Citrix Xen Server 6.2. Used for remote desktop services, no errors on this server.

Server3: Windows Server 2012 R2, latest patchlevel, virtual machine, database server with some SQL Instances, no errors on this server.

As I said, error is reported only on server1, no matter if it is a full or an incremental backup. During the backup I found the following errors is the event log (translated from a german system):

Event ID: 12293 Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider. "{89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}" an error occured. Routinedetails Error calling Query(). [0x80042302] [hr = 0x80042302, unexpected component error of the Volume Shadow Copy Service.

Process:

Volume Shadow Copy polling

Volume Shadow Copy delete

Context:

Executioncontext: Coordinator

Executionkontext: Coordinator

And

Event ID: 8193 Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling Routine "IVssCoordinator::Query" hr = 0x8004230f, Unexpected error Volume Shadow Copy Service Provider

Process:

Volume Shadow Copy delete

Context:

Executioncontext: Coordinator

There are some articles about this error in the knowledge base or web which does not help or do not apply to my environment for example:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38338&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1423724381707

What I already have tried:

• Disabled Antivirus during the whole backup
    • Installed latest Service Pack for Backup Exec
    • Rebooted the server
    • vssadmin list writers do not show any errors
    • consult eventid.net for other possible solutions
    • no limits set for vaa

Anymore ideas from you guys?

Best regards,

Friday, February 13, 2015 9:55 AM

All replies

• Do you see any previous shadowcopies on the drive? Run vssadmin list shadows.If it shows any shadowcopies, then delete them and try to running backup again.

vssadmin delete shadows

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

when running this command (vssadmin list shadows) I got the following error (translated becaus original system language is german):

"Error: Shadow copy provider reported an unexpected error during execution of this command."

When I run "vssadmin list shadowstorage" theres not error reported.

best regards

Christoph

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:27 AM
  • Can you run the below command?

diskshadow

diskshadow>list shadows

if it shows any shadows, then delete them

diskshadow>delete shadows all

Also check the below link for using diskshadow for troubleshooting further.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/45472

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

similar error

COM error "L"vssObject->Query"

- HResult: 8004230f
    - Error message: VSS_E_UNEXPCteD_PROVIDER_ERROR

best regards,

Christoph

Friday, February 13, 2015 11:21 AM
  • Can you restart "cryptographic service" and COM+ Event system service and see if it helps? Also, please reboot the server once and run the command.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, February 13, 2015 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

unfortunately no changes in behaviour.

Best regards,

Christoph

Friday, February 13, 2015 12:22 PM
  • I think you need to re-register VSS writers. Please download the script from the below link and run on the server.It works for windows 2012 as well.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/re-register-vss-windows-server-2008

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, February 13, 2015 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

will do that but I have read somewhere that this could have an impact on running DFS replication?

best regards

Friday, February 13, 2015 1:39 PM
  • How about rebooting the affected server without re-registering?

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:01 PM
  • did that several times without any success.

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

IMO, vss writers are meant for backing up the data. Re-registering of VSS writers should not have impact on functionality of DFS-R. Please re-register the VSS writers and see if it helps.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Saturday, February 14, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

did you ever tried this on a Windows 2012 R2 based machine? Regarding your linked document there are several and explicit warnings that this shouldn't be done on a 2008 R2 or later operating system.

best regards

Monday, February 16, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

What's the result of running "vssadmin list providers"?

I assume there will be 2 providers in this case and that could be the cause of the issue that 2 providers cause conflict.

If there are 2 providers, you should also found them in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers

Backup the key and delete Symantec one, reboot and see if at least Windows Server Backup will back to work.

If Symantec Exec still works improperly after deleting the key (but WSB does), test to remove and reinstall Symantec Exec to see the result.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 16, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

Yes,I have run this on our windows 2012 R2 and found no issues.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:26 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

vssadmin list providers gave the following output:

vssadmin list providers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Verwaltungsbefehlszeilenprogramm des Volumeschattenkopie-Dienstes

(C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Anbietername: "Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider"
       Anbietertyp: Dateifreigabe
       Anbieterkennung: {89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}
       Version: 1.0.0.1

Anbietername: "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0"
       Anbietertyp: System
       Anbieterkennung: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
       Version: 1.0.0.7

Unfortunately theres not Symantec VSS Provider listed.

Best regards,

Christoph

• Edited by _vac_ Monday, February 16, 2015 11:35 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2015 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

Then have you checked the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers ?

If there is another working Windows 2012 R2 system, compare the content of the key, backup and delete the extra values to see the result.

Note: You may need a reboot before testing. Please test both Backup exec and Windows Server Backup. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 23, 2015 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

there are only two entries:

Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0. These matches the entries on another (working) Server 2012 R2.

I think one important point is, that I'm unable to list / delete (maybe) existing shadow copies. As stated above. both commands an error

Kind Regards,

Christoph

Monday, February 23, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi Christoph,

It is been long time. Have you resolved the issue? Do you need any assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:00 PM
  • Hi Umesh,

no unfortunately this issue is still not resolved. We're currently discussing a new installation of this server with the customer.

If he agree I will give re-registering the vss a try, if this failed we still can reinstall the machine.

best regards,

Christoph

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:20 AM
  • Hi Christoph,

Any update on the issue?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, April 03, 2015 5:56 AM