Exchange Logs are not purged RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Expert

Recently, we found that our exchange server log partition is going to be full and left only 10 Percent left. We have done full backup by using Symantec Backup Exec with the option to flush the log, but it seems that it didn't flush any of the logs although the full backup is running successful without problem.

we have on premise exchange server running exchange server 2010 SP3 and currently we are in the half way of doing migration to Office 365. Windows are all running Server 2008 R2. Exchange Transport and DB servers are totally separated for every server and all are Hyper V VMs.

Below is our current setup details:

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

We have setup DAG between the Local and Remote Site called "DAG01". So, DB01 and DB02 are holding the active copy, whereby the passive copy will be at RDB01 and RDB02. However, due to issue with one of the remote site "RDB02" server that holding the passive copy of the DB01 and DB02, we have shutted down the  RDB02 VM completely as it is not the production anyway and we plan to decommission it after migration to Office 365 . In this case, we failed over the RDB02 to RDB01.

May i know whether because one of the member of the DAG is down, it will cause the Logs are not being flushed even though full backup is being performed daily?

Please advise on what should i do to solve the issue as there is the urgency on the log partition going to fill up soon.

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi

You just need to include the Folders with the databases and logfiles.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Henry2050 Monday, December 19, 2016 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:52 AM

All replies

• Dear Expert

Recently, we found that our exchange server log partition is going to be full and left only 10 Percent left. We have done full backup by using Symantec Backup Exec with the option to flush the log, but it seems that it didn't flush any of the logs although the full backup is running successful without problem.

we have on premise exchange server running exchange server 2010 SP3 and currently we are in the half way of doing migration to Office 365. Windows are all running Server 2008 R2. Exchange Transport and DB servers are totally separated for every server and all are Hyper V VMs.

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

We have setup DAG between the Local and Remote Site called "DAG01". So, DB01 and DB02 are holding the active copy, whereby the passive copy will be at RDB01 and RDB02. However, due to issue with one of the remote site "RDB02" server that holding the passive copy of the DB01 and DB02, we have shutted down the  RDB02 VM completely as it is not the production anyway and we plan to decommission it after migration to Office 365 . In this case, we failed over the RDB02 to RDB01.

May i know whether because one of the member of the DAG is down, it will cause the Logs are not being flushed even though full backup is being performed daily?

Please advise on what should i do to solve the issue as there is the urgency on the log partition going to fill up soon.

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Exactly. The logs wont truncate if they cant be inspected by all the DAG members. You need to remove that copy on the DR site if you want it to truncate

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335158(v=exchg.141).aspx

The following criteria must be met for a database copy's log file to be truncated when lag settings are left at their default values of 0 (disabled):

• The log file must have been successfully backed up, or circular logging must be enabled.

• The log file must be below the checkpoint (the minimum log file required for recovery) for the database.

• All other lagged copies must have inspected the log file.

• All other copies (not lagged copies) must have replayed the log file.

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by PK Sarangi Saturday, November 19, 2016 2:02 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Dear Expert

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Exactly. The logs wont truncate if they cant be inspected by all the DAG members. You need to remove that copy on the DR site if you want it to truncate

The following criteria must be met for a database copy's log file to be truncated when lag settings are left at their default values of 0 (disabled):

• The log file must have been successfully backed up, or circular logging must be enabled.

• The log file must be below the checkpoint (the minimum log file required for recovery) for the database.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Do you mean that i will need to remove the down DAG member (RDB02) from the DAG "DAG01"? does DAG member must always an even number? meaning that I have DB01 and DB02, so i must have RDB01 and RDB02, instead of having only one remote server? can two server DB both failover to only one server?

FYI, the down server (RDB02) has already no way to recover, as it is harddisk issue. So, i think the only way is to remove RDB02 from the DAG member of "DAG01".

Correct me if i am wrong.

THanks

Regards,

H

Saturday, November 19, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Dear Expert

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Hi Andy,

Do you mean that i will need to remove the down DAG member (RDB02) from the DAG "DAG01"? does DAG member must always an even number? meaning that I have DB01 and DB02, so i must have RDB01 and RDB02, instead of having only one remote server? can two server DB both failover to only one server?

FYI, the down server (RDB02) has already no way to recover, as it is harddisk issue. So, i think the only way is to remove RDB02 from the DAG member of "DAG01".

THanks

Regards,

H

It can be an odd number.

If you can't bring the DAG node up, you should probably recover it to another server and remove it gracefully.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638206(v=exchg.141).aspx

Recover a Database Availability Group Member Server

Saturday, November 19, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Dear Expert

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Hi Andy,

THanks

Regards,

H

It can be an odd number.

If you can't bring the DAG node up, you should probably recover it to another server and remove it gracefully.

Hi Andy,

Again thanks for the reply.

may i know what do you refer to recover it to another server? do i really need to built another one again and add as a node? I am thinking since we are going to 365 and now it is half way, we don't want to waste our effor of building a new server.

will removing or dismounting that spoilt node from the DAG cause big issue to the DAG?

please do you help to guide to properly dismount or remove a node from DAG? is it risky task to perform?

Thanks

Saturday, November 19, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Dear Expert

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Hi Andy,

THanks

Regards,

H

It can be an odd number.

Hi Andy,

may i know what do you refer to recover it to another server? do i really need to built another one again and add as a node? I am thinking since we are going to 365 and now it is half way, we don't want to waste our effor of building a new server.

will removing or dismounting that spoilt node from the DAG cause big issue to the DAG?

please do you help to guide to properly dismount or remove a node from DAG? is it risky task to perform?

Thanks

I would bring the server back - doesn't have to be anything but a small virtual guest. Otherwise you can remove the DAG node logically 

Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -Identity DAG2 -MailboxServer MBX4 -ConfigurationOnly

then evict the node:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676524(v=exchg.80).aspx

I prefer bringing it back and then removing gracefully however.I say this because its better to have a clean directory and Exchange org.  If you are in hybrid mode, you will need to leave keep an Exchange server on-prem for mgmt. regardless

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:37 AM
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Dear Expert

Local Site:

DB01

DB02

Remote Site:

RDB01

RDB02

Many thanks

Regards,

H

Hi Andy,

THanks

Regards,

H

It can be an odd number.

Hi Andy,

Thanks

I would bring the server back - doesn't have to be anything but a small virtual guest. Otherwise you can remove the DAG node logically 

Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -Identity DAG2 -MailboxServer MBX4 -ConfigurationOnly

then evict the node:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676524(v=exchg.80).aspx

I prefer bringing it back and then removing gracefully however.I say this because its better to have a clean directory and Exchange org.  If you are in hybrid mode, you will need to leave keep an Exchange server on-prem for mgmt. regardless

Hi Andy,

I have bring the server back to live and I can see that the database are all mounted properly and in healthy state. I have run the Symantec backup exec to backup the node in DAG by selecting the Microsoft Information Store. Inside, there are 4 DB that being listed, 2 on HQ (RDB01 & RDB02) and 2 on Remote site (DB01 and DB02), which is holding the active copy.

From the information store, I select to backup one DB at one time in order to test the length of time to backup since backup from remote site over the WAN my take long time to finish. So for instance, I selected only DB01 from the information store and run the full backup. however, after the full backup completed successfully, I still didn't see the log being purged and now I left with 10 percent of HDD space. When I go to the Database properties in exchange, the last full backup recorded is still half year ago.

May I know what is is the issue? will the purge action taken immediately after full backup success or I will need to reboot the server or wait for few days?

please help to advise.

Thanks

Friday, November 25, 2016 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

Event log will give you right insight to check if there is any issue with exchange server.

Have you enabled circular logging?

It's recommended to refer to: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH156654

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

Event log will give you right insight to check if there is any issue with exchange server.

Have you enabled circular logging?

It's recommended to refer to: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH156654

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Jason,

Thanks. we don't enable any circular logging.

However, lately i found something strange as below:

1. perform backup of the whole DAG (information store) to a tape by using Symantec backup exec, exchange log will get purged.

2. if i perform backup to the disk by using the same backup job, logs won't get purged.

may i know is there any difference by backing up to disk and to tape?

thanks

regards,

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Hi Henry

AFAIK there should be no difference from an exchange perspective if you are backing up to tape or disk as the vss writer remains the same.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Hi Henry

AFAIK there should be no difference from an exchange perspective if you are backing up to tape or disk as the vss writer remains the same.

Hi Dylan,

i am also thinking there is no difference at all since the VSS writers remain the same and i am using the same backup schedule and just changing from Tape to Disk. I tried 3 times of backup to disk and all fails, though the backup is completed successfully. however when i change to backup to tape, then the exchange logs are getting purged. I can't find what is the different in the backup schedule configuration since it is the same schedule.

Thank

Thursday, December 8, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi Henry

Hi Dylan,

i am also thinking there is no difference at all since the VSS writers remain the same and i am using the same backup schedule and just changing from Tape to Disk. I tried 3 times of backup to disk and all fails, though the backup is completed successfully. however when i change to backup to tape, then the exchange logs are getting purged. I can't find what is the different in the backup schedule configuration since it is the same schedule.

Thank

I would ask Symantec.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Hi

I agree with Andy. What you can try before is, to backup the Databases with Windows Backup on a File Share. Check if the logs are purged. If you have the same issue you can open a case at Microsoft. If you open a case at Symantec the ping pong game starts, Symatec is blaming Microsoft and Microsoft is blaming Symantec.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/backup-exchange-server-2013-databases-using-windows-server-backup/

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:21 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi

I agree with Andy. What you can try before is, to backup the Databases with Windows Backup on a File Share. Check if the logs are purged. If you have the same issue you can open a case at Microsoft. If you open a case at Symantec the ping pong game starts, Symatec is blaming Microsoft and Microsoft is blaming Symantec.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/backup-exchange-server-2013-databases-using-windows-server-backup/

Would also agree with Joerg and Andy - let us know the results of your testing with Windows Backup.

Friday, December 9, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Hi Joerg,

I would to try using windows sever backup. may i know whether how to backup the Exchange DB using windows server backup? currently when i am doing the backup by using symantec backup exec, i will backup the whole DAG, which is microsoft information store. I can't find any options using windows server backup to backup the Database. all my exchange servers are actually hyper-v VMs.

Thanks

Regards,

Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Hi Joerg,

I would to try using windows sever backup. may i know whether how to backup the Exchange DB using windows server backup? currently when i am doing the backup by using symantec backup exec, i will backup the whole DAG, which is microsoft information store. I can't find any options using windows server backup to backup the Database. all my exchange servers are actually hyper-v VMs.

Thanks

Regards,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854(v=exchg.160).aspx

You will need to install the Windows Backup feature for Windows.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hi Joerg,

Thanks

Regards,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854(v=exchg.160).aspx

You will need to install the Windows Backup feature for Windows.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the great article.

however, i have some confusion.

All my Exchange server are actually Hyper V VMs. So the windows server backup has to run from the Hypervisor or must run from inside the Exchange VM?

Please advise

Thanks

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:49 PM
  • It must run on the Exchange VM.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:53 PM
  • It must run on the Exchange VM.

Hi Joerg,

Noted. However, what should is select for backup? i could see that i could select drives like Drive C or Drive D, where the database files and logs are located. will that be enough?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Hi

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Henry2050 Monday, December 19, 2016 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the advise. the log is successfully purge now.

Regards,

H

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:32 AM