none
My install of Office 2016 is BOTH Activated and Requires Activation. RRS feed

• Question

• My install of Office 2016 is BOTH reporting to be activated and requires activation... WTF??!!

I had an inactivated version of Office 2016, which I installed from DVD at first. I used it for a week, then uninstalled it when the activation system put the install into restricted mode.

Soon there after I was able to purchase a copy of Office 2016 through the HUD program, via my work account. I got my HUD program Office key, installed it and it worked for about 3 months before I get the activation required window showing.

I thought I fully uninstalled the first copy of office, before I installed the HUD program one. However it appears something is lingering from the first install which is triggering the activation system to think its not activated.

I have done the following:

- Ran a registry check/clean up with CCleaner.

- Uninstalled all versions of office, followed by a reinstall.

- Ran the online repair tool.

However nothing appears to work.

Anybody know of any workarounds or registry keys I need to clean up after install to make sure any future installs will be successful.

Thanks.

Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Lurch,

Currently, do you mean your Office 2016 installed from HUD is unlicensed?

Please open your Word 2016, go to File > Account, under Product Information, collect the activate status and share the screenshot to us. Generally, we can use your Office HUD product key to activate Office 2016. 

If there is any error when you tried to activate Office 2016, we can run the following script to check the licensed status in System:

1. Right-click Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator.
    2. Type the following script:
      cscript.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office15\"ospp.vbs /dstatus
      If you are running 32-bit Office 2013 on a 64-bit operating system, the script is:
      cscript.exe "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15\"ospp.vbs /dstatus

You can collect the results to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. We would help to check the information. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?
    Please feel free to post back if you need further help.

If the issue has been resolved, would you mind to share the solution here and mark it as answer to close the thread. It would help others who read this thread.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 10:11 AM