none
cant add child domain to second tree domain in forest

Question

• Hi,

I have two primary domains one.dt and two.dt in the forest. one.dt is the forest root and it has the enterprise admin groups.

Now i was successfully able to create one child domains for one.dt (child.one.dt) 

Now, when i try to create a child domain on two.dt, this is where its giving me errors. 

Steps followed to install child domain on two.dt is: 

Run dcpromo

Create a new domain in an existing forest 

Select Child Domain

Parent Domain = two.dt

New Domain Name = childtwo

Type the name of any domain in the forest where you plan to install this DC -- two.dt given Alternate credentials: one.dt\Admin credentials (credentials for one.dt is given because it is the only one with enterprise admin permissions) 

And finally I get the error: 

The operation failed because: Active Directory Domain Services could not create the object CN=childtwo, CN=Partitions CD=Configuration, DC=one, DC=dt. "Could not access a partition of teh directory service located on a remote server. Make sure at least one server is running for the partition in question. 

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research and test, the issue will occur if DCs under forest root domain(one.dt) couldn’t resolve name resources under the secondary domain tree(two.dt). To solve the issue, we should create a Stub zone or Conditional forwarder for secondary domain tree(two.dt) on the DC under forest root domain, then prompt the child domain again.

More information, you may refer to the following articles:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816809(v=ws.10).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794735(v=ws.10).aspx

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:56 AM

• Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

14 hours 50 minutes ago