none
Recipient resolution in a hybrid domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance for the help, we have an On-prem Exchange 2010 setup and we have an hybrid Office365 tenant.

So, we have a domain which is hybrid domain, for ex: DomainA.com. Now, we have a DL created in Office365 whose email would be dl@DomainA.com.

Problem is if an alert is triggered from any of the on-prem server to dl@domaina.com the email fails with an error message. 

550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found.

So, I want the recipient resolution to happen in Office365 as well since we have alot of cloud created objects.

Niranjan

Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance for the help, we have an On-prem Exchange 2010 setup and we have an hybrid Office365 tenant.

So, we have a domain which is hybrid domain, for ex: DomainA.com. Now, we have a DL created in Office365 whose email would be dl@DomainA.com.

Problem is if an alert is triggered from any of the on-prem server to dl@domaina.com the email fails with an error message. 

550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found.

So, I want the recipient resolution to happen in Office365 as well since we have alot of cloud created objects.

Niranjan

Create the DL on-prem and let it sync to Office 365. 
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:36 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Yes I do agree for that answer, and that would be a resolution for this case, why can't we let Exchange to do a recipient lookup in Office365 as well. Will Send connector do the job?

Niranjan

Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:41 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Yes I do agree for that answer, and that would be a resolution for this case, why can't we let Exchange to do a recipient lookup in Office365 as well. Will Send connector do the job?

Niranjan

send connectors are for sending mail, not lookups. On-Prem Exchange can only lookup in its own forest and 365 can only see whats on its side.
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:46 PM
  • So, is there a way we can let On-prem Exchange to deliver the email to Office365 if the lookup fails to find a recipient in On-prem for DomainA and then let Office365 do a lookup in that case?

Niranjan

Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:54 PM
  • So, is there a way we can let On-prem Exchange to deliver the email to Office365 if the lookup fails to find a recipient in On-prem for DomainA and then let Office365 do a lookup in that case?

Niranjan

Create the DL on-prem and let it sync, thats the best and easiest way.

Otherwise you would have create a new mailbox that forwards perhaps or use a transport rule etc.. Neither of these are really good ways of doing that.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

You have to sync that distribution group. Create a distribution group on your exchange server then run AD Sync so Office 365 also have visibility.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi Faisal,

It is very much visible in Office365 as the sync has no issues and it runs without errors. Is this something we have to update the DNS records on the On-prem servers? To do a lookup in the Office365 tenant as well?

Niranjan

Monday, July 15, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Hi Faisal,

It is very much visible in Office365 as the sync has no issues and it runs without errors. Is this something we have to update the DNS records on the On-prem servers? To do a lookup in the Office365 tenant as well?

Niranjan

No, it doesnt work that way as I mentioned above: Create the DL on-prem and let it sync to Office 365. 

Alternatively, send emails to the DL's onmicrosoft.com SMTP address from on-prem. 

Monday, July 15, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi Andy,

In that case what about cloud created shared mailbox? How will the mailflow happen from an on-prem mailbox?

Niranjan

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi Andy,

In that case what about cloud created shared mailbox? How will the mailflow happen from an on-prem mailbox?

Niranjan

Same concept. Create a remote shared mailbox on-prem. That will sync with 365 and represent the real mailbox in 365.
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:17 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:40 AM
  • Hi Manu,

Somehow not convincing, as I had seen this working earlier, is it like we have to configure DomainA.com as a federated domain on-prem?

Niranjan

Monday, July 29, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Hi Manu,

Somehow not convincing, as I had seen this working earlier, is it like we have to configure DomainA.com as a federated domain on-prem?

Niranjan

Not sure what you mean, but you are missing the point. If the objects are being synced , its being synced from pn-prem to 365. There is no sync from 365 to on-prem.
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:41 PM