none
Lync Pool Internal Web Services URL RRS feed

• Question

• I have an enterprise pool of two lync servers. Currently the Internal Web Services URL is lyncpoolfe.domain.com. This is the Pools FQDN also. Would it hurt anything for me to change the internal web services url to lyncweb.domain.com? Is web services what allows client clients internally to connect? External Web services url is webconf.domain.com. I also realize I would need to update my SANs on both lync servers for the new name (lyncweb.domain.com). I just don't know the consequences of making this change, would all lync clients lose connectivity? Currently I am doing DNS load balancing so i have two DNS Host(a) records created for the lyncpoolfe.domain.com. I was thinking I could create a cname for lyncweb.domain.com for the web services?

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you change the Internal Web Services FQDN, you are requried to publish new topology and rerun local setup on each Front-end server. Lync Clients might lose connectivity temporarily when Front-end servers are under local setup, but that's only.

Internal Web Services FQDN itsself has no relation with client-to-client connectivity. It is used for Lync Client to download an address book and meeting contents, and expand a distribution list in contact list.

By the way, DNS load balancing is not supported for Internal Web Services FQDN (= HTTP/HTTPS) as the following articles say. So you need not to create a CNAME in DNS for the FQDN but to deploy a HLB and create a A record for the FQDN to point the HLB's IP.

DNS Load Balancing
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398634.aspx

DNS Load Balancing in Lync Server 2010
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2011/05/25/dns-load-balancing-in-lync-server-2010.aspx

Regards,

Yutaka

Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Would it hurt anything for me to change the internal web services url to lyncweb.domain.com? Is web services what allows client clients internally to connect?

It doesn't hurt any for you to change the internal web services url. You change it in topology builder and need to publish the topology to take effect. The web services are used for Lync Web App.

I just don't know the consequences of making this change, would all lync clients lose connectivity?

No, the web services url are used for Lync web App. The lync 2010 client will not lose connectivity after you change it.

Currently I am doing DNS load balancing so i have two DNS Host(a) records created for the lyncpoolfe.domain.com. I was thinking I could create a cname for lyncweb.domain.com for the web services?

As Yataka said, the DNS balance doesn't support web flow transfer. So you don't need to create the cname. one A record for lyncweb.domain.com is enough.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you change the Internal Web Services FQDN, you are requried to publish new topology and rerun local setup on each Front-end server. Lync Clients might lose connectivity temporarily when Front-end servers are under local setup, but that's only.

Internal Web Services FQDN itsself has no relation with client-to-client connectivity. It is used for Lync Client to download an address book and meeting contents, and expand a distribution list in contact list.

By the way, DNS load balancing is not supported for Internal Web Services FQDN (= HTTP/HTTPS) as the following articles say. So you need not to create a CNAME in DNS for the FQDN but to deploy a HLB and create a A record for the FQDN to point the HLB's IP.

DNS Load Balancing
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398634.aspx

DNS Load Balancing in Lync Server 2010
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2011/05/25/dns-load-balancing-in-lync-server-2010.aspx

Regards,

Yutaka

Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Would it hurt anything for me to change the internal web services url to lyncweb.domain.com? Is web services what allows client clients internally to connect?

It doesn't hurt any for you to change the internal web services url. You change it in topology builder and need to publish the topology to take effect. The web services are used for Lync Web App.

I just don't know the consequences of making this change, would all lync clients lose connectivity?

No, the web services url are used for Lync web App. The lync 2010 client will not lose connectivity after you change it.

Currently I am doing DNS load balancing so i have two DNS Host(a) records created for the lyncpoolfe.domain.com. I was thinking I could create a cname for lyncweb.domain.com for the web services?

As Yataka said, the DNS balance doesn't support web flow transfer. So you don't need to create the cname. one A record for lyncweb.domain.com is enough.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:48 AM