none
IMAP Commands Return "BAD Command received in Invalid state." after LOGIN command on Telnet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I have an Exchange 2010 deployment. I can successfully connect to the the IMAP4 Service and get a Reply:  * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.

But when i use the syntax 01 login username@domain.com password . I receive 01 BAD Command received in Invalid state.

What could be the possible cause of this error since the service is 100% up.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• Follow this guide to test IMAP with Exchange: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189326

Does username@domain.com match the username of the user and not the email address?

It is not the email address with Exchange, it is the UPN, which may or may not be the same as the email address.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:27 PM
  • While following the verification document from Microsoft, we are still receiving the "01 BAD Command received in Invalid state." error message.

* OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.
    01 LOGIN DOMAIN\USER PASSWORD
    01 BAD Command received in Invalid state.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:46 PM
  • I had the same problem... in EMC, IMAP4 properties, Authentication settings I found: 'Secure Logon', changed to "Plain Text Logon..." then it started working immedaitely...

• Proposed as answer by Sjambois Friday, January 4, 2013 9:23 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Good day to you,

Regarding your comment I am just interested, because maybe it is from our EMC here the cause of the same problem that we are facing, but where to find in IMAP 4 EMC property settings, we have EMC VNX 5300 and Unisphere Console. Do we have the same console of EMC?, because I try to search there I cannot find IMAP 4 Settings, appreciate your reply, thanks.  

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:56 AM
  • On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 05:56:56 +0000, wally-jb wrote:

>
    >
    >Good day to you,
    >
    >Regarding your comment I am just interested, because maybe it is from our EMC here the cause of the same problem that we are facing, but where to find in IMAP 4 EMC property settings, we have EMC VNX 5300 and Unisphere Console. Do we have the same console of EMC?, because I try to search there I cannot find IMAP 4 Settings, appreciate your reply, thanks.

EMC is the Exchange Management Console. Navigate to the "Server
    Configuration" container, then to the "Client Access" container beneat
    it. Select the Client Access Server and, in the bottom pane, click the
    "POP3 and IMAP4" tab. Double-click the "IMAP4" protocol and select the
    "Authentication" tab.

Or you can use the "Get-IMAPSettings" cmdlet and the
    "Set-IMAPSettings" cmdlets to see what your "LoginType" value is set
    to and to change it.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:08 PM
  • This worked for me! Thank you so much! Was trying to configure a ticketing system for a client for email retrieval via IMAP and once I used the UPN of someone@company.local instead of the email address it worked!

Thanks!!

Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Hi, i am having the same problem, trying to configure a Help Desk App with IMAP protocol, what do you do to solve the problem?
    Friday, September 18, 2015 7:45 PM
  • I had the same problem... in EMC, IMAP4 properties, Authentication settings I found: 'Secure Logon', changed to "Plain Text Logon..." then it started working immedaitely...

This has fixed my issue too thanks Rasto,

In this case, the Exchange Server only allows SSL by default, so it was necessary to connect to port 993 with SSL on. Also, the login name needed to be domain\username.

• Proposed as answer by Zeeshan.Butt Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zeeshan.Butt Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Zeeshan.Butt Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:52 AM
  • We had a similar issue/same error but it was due to certificates. The "X.509 certificate name" needs to match the CN on the IMAP certificate on each server. We then had to restart the IMAP service(s) on each Exchange server.

Monday, December 17, 2018 11:30 PM
  • Worked for me like charm.
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:32 AM