none
Migration from 2003 DC

Question

• Hello all. I have a question regarding migrating from 2003 DC. Any help will be appreciated.

I have 4 DCs in my organization. Three of them Windows server 2003 and one of them Windows server 2008R2. I have migrated FSMO roles to the one on 2008 R2, as you can see in the following picture:

the question is what i should do next to be able to raise domain functional level to 2008R2? Because when i want to do so, the following error occurs:

Thank You in advance.

Saturday, November 04, 2017 4:54 AM

All replies

• Hi

You shouldn't do that,before raise functional level,you should demote old server 2003 dc's from domain.If you raise functional level to server 2008,old server 2003 dc's become nonfunctional.

Also check this for details about functional levels;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/active-directory-functional-levels

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, November 04, 2017 8:17 AM
  • You need to make sure that there are no 2003 dc servers in your organization before raise it to 2008r2. That mean you need to migrate all of 2003 dc servers to 2008r2 or up and them demote all old 2003 dc servers.
    Monday, November 06, 2017 2:53 AM
  • Hi,
    Agree others, the functional level of a domain or forest depends on the lowest versions of Windows Server operating systems are running on the domain controllers in the domain or forest. Therefore, you need to upgrade all your windows server 2003 DC into windows server 2008 R2.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 7:40 AM
  • 

Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Since the thread is quite for days, can we think that it is fixed? If that is the case, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly. And we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution if you solve it by own method.

Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best regards,

Wendy

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:30 AM