none
Outlook 2010 gone in Side-by-Side Installation with 2013

Question

• After performing a Side-By-Side install of Office 2013, I lost access to Outlook 2010. It was moved in a subfolder of the installer folder. If I try to run outlook.exe I get a msvcr90.dll complaint. I am hoping that I am wrong in believing the two versions cannot coexist.

Do I have to roll back to use Outlook 2010?

• Edited by Canflitesim Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:24 AM

Answers

• This is by design. With Office 2013 Click-to-Run you can have the Click-to-Run version of Microsoft Office 2013 running side-by-side (SxS)with an MSI-based version of either Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Outlook 2010.  This side-by-side installation permits having multiple versions of Microsoft Outlook.

Although you can have two versions of Outlook on the same machine, only one version of Outlook can run at a time.  If you attempt to start Outlook while another version is running you will get the error message.

All in all, if you want to coexist two version of Outlook, you need to install Click2Run version of Office 2013. Now, you must remove Office 2013 and repair/reinstall Office 2010 to recover that. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:57 AM

All replies

• This is by design. With Office 2013 Click-to-Run you can have the Click-to-Run version of Microsoft Office 2013 running side-by-side (SxS)with an MSI-based version of either Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Outlook 2010.  This side-by-side installation permits having multiple versions of Microsoft Outlook.

Although you can have two versions of Outlook on the same machine, only one version of Outlook can run at a time.  If you attempt to start Outlook while another version is running you will get the error message.

All in all, if you want to coexist two version of Outlook, you need to install Click2Run version of Office 2013. Now, you must remove Office 2013 and repair/reinstall Office 2010 to recover that. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:15 AM
  • So in order to run Outlook 2010 and 2013 on the same machine we need to:

-----

1. Support a separate file server in the environment.

2. Run a hard to find deployment tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30344)

3. Configure a separate file share for the Click-to-run service. Apparently this needs to be a Windows machine...so most home/student users may be out of luck at this point I guess.

4. Place a configuration XML file on the share and manually edit it.

5. Run a setup command with a /download option on the XML file on the windows server from an admin CMD prompt to download the office bits to it. Troubleshoot any issues.

5. Run a setup command with a /configure option on the Windows 7/8 client to connect to the XML file and run Office in a Click2Run configuration. Troubleshoot any issues.

6. Manually edit the config file/source each time an update is available. Probably quarterly.

-----

Are y'all joking at Microsoft? That's WAY too much trouble for most people. What is  an easier way than running Click2Run...that normal humans without an IT department at their disposal can utilize...that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or requires an office 364 subscription?

Good gravy...all we want to do is run two similar apps at the same time without all this complicated mess. This can EASILY be done on a Mac...is this now impossible in Windows?

• Edited by SAS71 Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:46 AM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:41 AM
  • I hate to stur up old wounds, but this is just ridicolous... Office 2013 allows me to upgrade and explicitly gives me the option to leave Outlook 2010 installed after the upgrade. (!) And when the upgrade is done, Outlook 2010 is gone... WTF????? The only one program I DO NOT WANT from Office 2013 (AND NOT AT ALL) is Outlook. Can you please fix this and give us a usable way to run Outlook 2010 in parallel?

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Can you run a 32bit version and a 64 bit version at the same time?
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:26 AM