none
Lost Exchange 2013 DAG and Databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

I have Exchange 2013 in DAG mode namely node01 and node02 running on Exchange server 2012. Due to a virus attack we lost all the
    databases located in the D: drive due to which we have to format the D: drive (Ransome Ware). My customer doesnt have the backup of databases.

Whole network got attacked and they lost witness server as well.

since the exchange server was installed on the C: drive which is not effected on both the servers, the default DB is mounted .

I used the command

get-database -Database OLDDB1 | Set-mailbox -Database NEWDB1

and rehomed the users

the outlook is connected, when email is sent locally we dont receive.

Your help will be appreciated. 

http://www.arabitpro.com

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:53 PM

All replies

• There isn't enough information for me to come up with any suggestions.  I'm afraid that "we don't receive" isn't very descriptive.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:02 PM
  • Please ask me i will let you know

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:41 PM
  • Hi Syed,

1.Where are the mailbox database OLDDB1 and NEWDB1 located? C: Drive?

2.Are all internal users affected by the problem, or does the problem only impact some users? If only some users are affected, what the users have in common with one another? On the same mailbox database?

3.Does the external mail flow work well?

A.The cmdlet in your initial post is incorrect, is your purpose that moving mailboxes in OLDDB1 to NEWDB1? It's suggested that executing the cmdlet New-MoveRequest .

Pleas check to make sure that all of the Exchange-related services are running. The following cmdlet might help you.

Get-Service | Where-Object {$_.Name -Like ‘MSExchange*’ -and $_.Status -eq ‘Stopped’}

B.Ensure that the storage space of the mailbox databases are enough.

C.You can also use Test-Mailflow cmdlet to verify that email is sent/delivered between Mailboxes/Mailbox servers.

Test-Mailflow -TargetEmailAddress problematicuser@contoso.com

Test-Mailflow Mailbox1 -TargetMailboxServer Mailbox2

Note: you need to run this command while connected to server Mailbox1.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:40 AM
  • We have lost all the databases and we don't have the backup. Current situation is we want to send and receive emails internally and externally. Data which is lost is not a big issue .

So what I did is created a new mailbox called NEWDB1 and moved all the mailboxes which were connected to the OLD database which is lost now by using the below command. We had the DAG also but the other server is also down and also witness server.

get-database -Database OLDDB1 | Set-mailbox -Database NEWDB1

1.Where are the mailbox database OLDDB1 and NEWDB1 located? C: Drive?

They were located on D:\ drive which is lost and formatted and NEWDB1 is located in C: Drive.

2.Are all internal users affected by the problem, or does the problem only impact some users? If only some users are affected, what the users have in common with one another? On the same mailbox database?

All users got affected since there Databases were located on D:\.

3.Does the external mail flow work well?

No it does not works.

I will check the  Test-Mailflow Mailbox1 -TargetMailboxServer Mailbox2 and let you know.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:18 AM
  • I did a test and I got this

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-Mailflow -TargetEmailAddress test@pex.com

RunspaceId         : ec98153d-0487-4b1b-a14c-d2060b18f586
    TestMailflowResult : *FAILURE*
    MessageLatencyTime : 00:00:00
    IsRemoteTest       : True
    Identity           :
    IsValid            : True
    ObjectState        : New

When I open outlook is show its connected and when tried sending email it show in the sent items but its not received. I tried sending the email to myself and other users.

Monday, May 6, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Hi Syed,

After creating the new mailbox database, you could run the following cmdlet to confirm the mailbox database status.

Get-MailboxDatabase -Identity NEWDB1 -Status  | select name, mounted

Please try to create a test user mailbox on NEWDB1, then check if the mailbox mail flow works well.

If it works, you could export the user mailboxes on OLDDB1 to a CSV file through EAC.

Then delete these user mailboxes, execute the following script to recreate the user mailboxes in bulk.

Bulk user mailbox creation from CSV

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Bulk-user-mailbox-creation-ea47cd96#content

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Hi Syed,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Monday, May 13, 2019 12:16 PM