none
Excel queries to MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes stopped working

Question

• I update stock quotes in 3 spreadsheets using a query to MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes. Three days ago (after using for 2 years) , the Refresh for Data Connection would not work, giving me a pop-up with "Unable to open...http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL =MSFT+ +CSCO+ +ABT+ +...etc"

What is going on? Can we no longer get quotes from MSN?

Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Based on my test, we can still get quotes from MSN.

Have you tried to open this site in your browser directly?
    Maybe you should change the URL as below:
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL =MSFT+ +CSCO+ +ABT+ +...etc

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:09 AM
  • I use this plugin and it works wellhttp://www.technitya.com/content/stock-quotes-excel
    Friday, January 10, 2014 12:55 AM
  • I have been experiencing the same thing, although it is sporadic.  I get the message when I try to refresh, so I opened a new workbook and actually got the first two spreadsheets to populate with new data, the third sheet failed with the same message that you provided above and refreshing any of them failed?????

Like yourself, I have been doing this for years - but I can't figure out why I can get connected on some tries but not others.

I have just installed Excel 2013 and the "Existing Connections" are not even there.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:24 PM
  • I, too, find that the link from Microsoft Excel 2010 no longer yields quotes using the provided data query link.  Very disappointing and I could not find any on-line reference to the issue.  Has it been disabled, is the system down (temporarily, must we go to Yahoo, or other suppliers for this help?
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:10 AM
  • You might be misunderstanding the main point of the concern... there is no longer a data feed from MSN directly to our Excel spreedsheets using the provided data query.  This seemed to be turned off on the weekend of December 21, 2014.   Getting the quotes directly from the browser is not the level of convenience that we have enjoyed until now.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Apparently the link to "moneycentral.msn.com" is down (permanently??) and the query is redirected to the MSN Money homepage. 

I used the link 24/7 with only occasional misfeeds over the past 15 years, but have never encountered this problem of being redirected.

One can hope that Mr. Softee will return the link to its original condition shortly, but be prepared to face the fact that the 3 built-in ExCel data sources may be gone for good.

God does not explain his movements to us, nor does Mr. Softee.  Wait, maybe they are one in the same?

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:30 PM
  • I am having the same problem and the URL provided also does not work for me. Any attempt to access www://moneycentral.msn immediately gets redirected to http://www.msn.com/en-us/money

Will the problem be fixed, or is this a move to limit access to this data?

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Are you aware of any alternative sources for near real-time stock quotes? I am a private investor working with my own portfolio and update two workbooks with over 100 individual ticker symbols daily.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:42 PM
  • I too have been using this query for years with no issues and now need it for year end reporting.  Does anyone know if there is a way of constructing a portfolio on MSN Money and doing a web query on the table?  Can anyone think of alternative ways of pulling the basic stock data into an Excel sheet that can then be used for calculations? 

The only answers I have been able to find is to go to Google Docs where the formulas for querying stock information are super simple.   Ack! 

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:49 PM
  • A good workaround using Yahoo! can be found here:

excel-university.com/msn-moneycentral-iqy-web

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wormer Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dean_Wormer Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dean_Wormer Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:42 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:53 PM
  • Create Your Own!

First, navigate yourself to c:/program files/microsoft office/officeXX/queries.  The XX is either 12, 13, 14depending on system.

Then copy the MSN Stock Quote file and paste.  Rename it YahooQuotes.  It will be an .iqy file (inquiry)

Open it with Notepad and put this in it....

WEB
    http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/["QUOTE","Enter stock, fund or other symbols separated by commas."]/view/fv

Selection=2
    Formatting=All
    PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
    ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
    SingleBlockTextImport=False

Save it.  This will allow you to get the same data as from the old moneycentral into a table.  From there, you're on your own.  BTW, you can play with the "/view/fv" to get different columns.

BTW, I know just enough to be dangerous

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:38 AM
  • I got my solution by trial and error, but YOURS in the correct way to do it.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:43 AM
  • I am using a crude workaround at this point. Use the following URL and replace my stock tickers with yours.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/ bte.to,chw.to,efn.to,fly.v,euo,fax,ge,ma,mdlz,mpel, tbt,utx,yum /view/v1

Go to that WEB site and when your stock list appears, highlight and copy the results to somewhere in your spreadsheet.

Point your spreadsheet calculations to this downloaded data.

Unfortunately this method requires the 'reference and copy' process each time, but it is a lot easier than full manual entry of all stock data.

I have tried a direct query to the above URL but have not been successful in getting any data back. If anyone has solved that problem, please post.

• Proposed as answer by DakotaSpeed Friday, December 26, 2014 6:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DakotaSpeed Friday, December 26, 2014 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:52 PM
  • I ran into the same problem a few day ago. Here's a link to a great solution I found. This video explains how to retrieve the quote data and import it into excel very clearly and simply. I like this because you can customize your data easily. Heres the link: http://youtu.be/MtEio4-B31E
    • Edited by bapin93 Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:59 AM typo
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Yeah, this is annoying that they had to turn it off and direct people towards "apps". I don't have a tablet, smartphone or Windows 8.1.

Excel was nice...I had tons of formulas on my data... purchase price, total purchase price, current value, gain/loss since yesterday (dollars and %), highest value in last year. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get yahoo to pull in the data...

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Are you aware of any alternative sources for near real-time stock quotes? I am a private investor working with my own portfolio and update two workbooks with over 500 individual ticker symbols daily.
    Has anyone got a good answer for that?
    8 hours 56 minutes ago