none
Restoring a database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

As you already may know, prior to creating a recovery database the restored database needs to be put to the clean shutdown state by running Eseutil /R E01 /l E:\Databases\RDB1 /d E:\Databases\RDB1 (here's the theory

- here's the theory.

Today I first tried to restore the DB01 database at ~11:00 and ran the aforemention command with no issues:

As I made a mistake later in the process I ran the same command against the same folder (I had a copy of the restored data) once again ~ at 13:00:

The number and the size of all files in both folders (of the two "versions" of the same folder) are exactly the same.
    >ESEUTIL /ML C:\Recovery\RDB01\E00 returns no errors (as seen above). How come the same commands run against the same files produce the different results???

And the most weird thing: the same error arises now even after restoring the same backup from scratch... ???

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Monday, April 15, 2019 6:52 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 11:14 AM

Answers

• I just don't know what to say... I opened a case with MS the other day - they just advised me to run eseutil /p - and my virtual machine with Exchange 2019 had stopped working. After restoring the VM I gave it a one more try and here it is:

The most weird fact is that the vm backup was taken when this issue had already exsisted!!! I don't understand what's going on :(((

Anyway,  this can not be the problem solution - any administrator wants his/her backups to restore correctly without the need to restore the whole server...

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by MF47 Friday, April 19, 2019 10:51 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is result of eseutil /mh?

That tells which log missing and check if that file available.

if available and still getting error then try to move e00.log file to different folder and rename latest log file to E00.log.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Note:- Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, April 12, 2019 12:14 PM
  • "which log missing " - there are no missing logs. There's no e00.log either, only e00tmp.log.  Renaming the last log either to E00.log or E00tmp.log did not help. In any case all the logs are in place because I did restored that database a few hours ago!!!
    • Edited by MF47 Friday, April 12, 2019 12:27 PM typo
    Friday, April 12, 2019 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

Did you tried by moving chekpoint file as well?

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Note:- Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, April 12, 2019 12:38 PM
  • Yes - no luck (I just renamed it to xxx) :(
    Friday, April 12, 2019 12:53 PM
  • I just can't understand the following: ESEUTIL /ML C:\Recovery\RDB01\E00 "says" all log files are in place and ok but  eseutil /r E00 /l "C:\Recovery\RDB01" /d "C:\Recovery\RDB01" says "Current log is missing" - this can't be true at the same time!
    Friday, April 12, 2019 12:57 PM
  • Hello!

As you already may know, prior to creating a recovery database the restored database needs to be put to the clean shutdown state by running Eseutil /R E01 /l E:\Databases\RDB1 /d E:\Databases\RDB1 (here's the theory

- here's the theory.

Today I first tried to restore the DB01 database at ~11:00 and ran the aforemention command with no issues:

As I made a mistake later in the process I ran the same command against the same folder (I had a copy of the restored data) once again ~ at 13:00:

The number and the size of all files in both folders (of the two "versions" of the same folder) are exactly the same.
    >ESEUTIL /ML C:\Recovery\RDB01\E00 returns no errors (as seen above). How come the same command run against the same files produces different results???

And the most weird thing: the same error arises now even after restoring the same backup from scratch... ???

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

Sounds like:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2012/09/06/why-exchange-databases-might-remain-dirty-after-eseutil-r-recovery/

Friday, April 12, 2019 12:58 PM
  • That's not the case: the customers' mistake there was using the db name in the path (eseutil /R E00 /l "c:\DBRecovery" /d "c:\DBRecovery\Mailbox Database 0436312751.edb") while I'm using the path to the RDB folder only:

Eseutil /R E00 /l C:\Recovery\RDB01 /d C:\Recovery\RDB01

• Edited by MF47 Friday, April 12, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 1:08 PM
  • That's not the case: the customers' mistake there was using the db name in the path (eseutil /R E00 /l "c:\DBRecovery" /d "c:\DBRecovery\Mailbox Database 0436312751.edb") while I'm using the path to the RDB folder only:

Eseutil /R E00 /l C:\Recovery\RDB01 /d C:\Recovery\RDB01

I wasnt referring to that. 

See this part. it sounds close to your issue. even though its not the same error. Just throwing it out there.

Side note: If you try to recover the database with only “Log Required” logs and NOT “Log Commited” logs it will throw the following error:

Side note: If you try to recover the database with only “Log Required logs” and NOT “Log Commited” logs it will throw the error:

You can continue with the recovery using /a. And the last committed transaction will be removed from the database and the database will have a clean and consistent state. Otherwise just add the log files mentioned in the “log committed” field to your log directory and this error will disappear.

Friday, April 12, 2019 1:26 PM
  • I tried with /a also - the result is the same.

"Otherwise just add the log files mentioned in the “log committed” field to your log directory and this error will disappear." - the log files in the RDB01 folder are those that have been restored by Windows Backup when restoring the DB01 database so I think this list is complete by definition.

Friday, April 12, 2019 1:38 PM
  • By the way: "Checking the EventLog after removing the “/i” parameter" - which log can contain these events (either there're no such events in my Eventlogs or I'm looking in the wrong logs)?

• Edited by MF47 Friday, April 12, 2019 1:40 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean Log Required parameter displayed "0-0" after running ESEUTIL /MH and the state showed "Clean Shutdown"? 

If it's convenient for you, you can post the screenshot here, please don't forget to cover your personal information.

You can go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application to check some related event logs for further analysis.

The current log file missing error may be caused by EDB file corruption. You could try to recover the database.

For more information, please check: How to use Exchange Extensible Storage Engine Utilities (ESEUTIL) tool?

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 15, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Here's the screenshot of the successfull attempt:

There's NO any EDB file corruption - if I restore this database "in place" it does restore succesfully.

I opened a case with MS - will post  back the result.

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Monday, April 15, 2019 11:22 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 11:21 AM
  • Hi Michael,

That's OK. You can keep monitoring this thread, and we will look forward to your updates. 

Hope everything goes well.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:35 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Thanks, I'll post the updates as soon as MS answers me.

Regards,
    Michael

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Hi Michael,

How's your database restoring issue going?

Do you still get the error when you run Eseutil /R?

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:54 AM
  • I just don't know what to say... I opened a case with MS the other day - they just advised me to run eseutil /p - and my virtual machine with Exchange 2019 had stopped working. After restoring the VM I gave it a one more try and here it is:

The most weird fact is that the vm backup was taken when this issue had already exsisted!!! I don't understand what's going on :(((

Anyway,  this can not be the problem solution - any administrator wants his/her backups to restore correctly without the need to restore the whole server...

Regards,
    Michael

• Edited by MF47 Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by MF47 Friday, April 19, 2019 10:51 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. Although you cannot find more appropriate solutions, it's glad to see your issue is solved. 

Maybe restarting the server helps to restart some related services, and something can be corrected in this process. We suggest you mark your reply as answer, so other forum members will find the result of this issue quickly. Also, running eseutil /p is a suggestion for other people with similar issues.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, April 19, 2019 1:20 AM