none
Error exporting mailbox to PST RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

I have an error that for more than 1 year I can not find a solution.

This is an Exchange 2016 in a 2012 R2.

I need to disable it, but when I try to export the mailboxes using this command:

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox "domain \ financial.well" -Filepath \\ SRV-EMAIL.contoso.com \ PST $ \ financial.well.pst -BadItemLimit 1000000 -verbose

The above command exports to the PST folder and ignores deleted items and damaged items if they exist.

But as you can see, if you run the command: Get-MailboxExportRequestStatistics financial.well

It shows the percentage of the export, however every time it reaches 100%, it takes a few minutes and returns again at 0% and the process starts all over again.

The result is that the mailbox of this user, has the size of 900MB and can see in the image that is more than 2GB and if I do not suspend the force the export, it does not stop growing ever.

Silvio Tavares - Analista de Sistemas

Monday, July 15, 2019 4:58 PM

Answers

• Now his explanation makes perfect sense.
    But we have to see that the problem can be much bigger and more complex than we imagine.
    Call opening up at Microsoft did not have any effect and no solution as incredible as it may seem.

So, since I've had this problem for over a year on this Exchange 2016 server, my solution was to use the export that my own backup tool does, which is Veeam.

However, this software has a problem, when exporting the user's email base, when I use the command:

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox "contoso \ user" -Filepath \\ SRV-MAIL-01.contoso.com.br \ PST $ \ user.pst -BadItemLimit 1000000 -verbose

It does not actually put the folders in their proper place, ie it creates a folder inside the user's folder. that is, in the user's inbox is empty, to have access to the imported inbox, you must open the folder created with the name of the user to have access to the inbox that was imported.

This is the big problem of the Veeam solution, but in fact, I'm using it because I'm seeing that this problem will have no solution.

I will have to then go into each imported mailbox and move the items all to their default folder, this will give me a huge job.

• Marked as answer by Silvio AST Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:58 PM
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:06 PM

All replies

• I use this command:

New-MailboxExportRequest –Mailbox “dominio\financeiro.well” –Filepath \\MAIL.contoso.com.br\PST$\financeiro.well.pst -Priority High -ExcludeDumpster -BadItemLimit 1000000

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:10 PM
  • I use this command:

New-MailboxExportRequest –Mailbox “dominio\financeiro.well” –Filepath \\MAIL.contoso.com.br\PST$\financeiro.well.pst -Priority High -ExcludeDumpster -BadItemLimit 1000000

If you exclude the Dumpster from mailbox exporting and set Priority to 'High' then issue got resolved?

I have heard that a disk latency issue would also cause this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a754e74b-a5c0-4ff9-aee4-c85547e84e12/mailbox-export-requests-create-never-end-creating-giant-useless-pst-files?forum=Exch2016PS

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:19 AM
  • his is a problem I have faced for a year.

But if this is the problem, I do not even know how to solve it.
    The Exchange 2016 server runs on a Hyper-V virtual machine with a dynamic disk.

Now that's my problem, how am I going to solve this latency problem?

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:19 PM
  • his is a problem I have faced for a year.

But if this is the problem, I do not even know how to solve it.
    The Exchange 2016 server runs on a Hyper-V virtual machine with a dynamic disk.

Now that's my problem, how am I going to solve this latency problem?

If that is the issue, then we could do little from Exchange server side. You may do the related check on your disk in Hyper-V VM. Below is a thread from Hyper-V forum.

Hyper-V Disk Latency

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:04 AM
  • As an alternative, there is a free tool from Priasoft that can export data using powershell, but is not run from the Exchange server directly. 
    Take a look at Super-ExMerge: https://www.priasoft.com/docs/superexmerge-on-line-documentation/introduction/

You only need a windows host, powershell, and some version of Outlook installed to use it.
    You'll need either FullAccess permissions or the password of the mailbox you want to export.

Simple in 3 lines of code:

$endPoints = new-ConnectionInfo -SourceType Mailbox -TargetType PST -SourceSmtp src.user@old.com -SourceServer autodiscover.old.com -SourceCreds 'src.user@old.com:Password' -TargetPstFile c:\temp\filename.pst
    $task = new-SyncTask $endPoints -OneWaySyncSourceToTarget 
    add-SyncTask $task

Since this is processing that occurs on your host and not the exchange server, you can have it create the PST file locally or by UNC path.  I have always found it funny that Microsoft doesn't support PST files over a network path, but uses the same to create them from an Exchange server.

For full disclosure, I represent Priasoft, which has produced migration software for Exchange for over 20 years.

Regards,

Eriq

-Eriq VanBibber, CTO, Priasoft Inc.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:03 PM
  • You can download for free and process up to 1GB per day with it at no cost.

Download from the product page here:  https://www.priasoft.com/super-exmerge

There's a download button on this page.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:23 PM
  • I downloaded the tool and did the test, but nothing happened and from what I saw, there is nothing free ...

So I do not understand your answer .....

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Silvio,

it looks like you added the task just fine.

If you've not read over the docs for the tool, you can probably get lost a bit.

Tasks added to the queue are only processed if the SuperExMerge service is running.  Try Start-SyncService or Start-Service SuperExMerge.

This will cause your task to be processed.

Since this runs as a service, you won't see anything when it starts.  Use a combination of Get-SyncTask, Show-SyncTaskStats, and Show-SyncTaskProgress to track its state.

Log files are in %Public%\Documents\Priasoft\SuperExMerge

A assure you that when we created this, the default install is in 'free-use' mode.  In the warning text from your picture, it states as much and indicates that you can process up to 1GB every 24 hours. 

Does that make sense?

-Eriq

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:41 PM
  • Third-party tools exist on the hills and excellent by the way.

But my doubt here was a bug that occurred in Exchange 2016 for over a year and still no technical explanation ....

Buying products for this task is very costly and therefore completely discards this possibility.

But thank you

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Yep.  Totally understood if the amount of "free use" is not sufficient.  

I did see another user post a issue similar, but not exactly the same as yours.  The similarity was simply that the PST file kept growing.

I know that PST files can "bloat" by use due to the implementation creating white space in anticipation of new data to arrive, and that updates to the PST (depending upon how performed) can also cause bloating.

It sounds like some item (or multiple) are causing an failure on copy to the PST which causes the process to be restarted.

Note that there are limits to PST files across many metrics:  items per folder, recipients per item, attachments per item, attachment size, and message size.  These limits are different than what Exchange server has.  I suspect that there's a message that is not corrupt, but is a problem for the PST format.

are you able to open the PST file that is produced at all?  It might be worth inspecting it to see "how far" Exchange got before it does a restart.

The other issue with incompatible items is that very often *most* of the bad item will be copied to the PST before failure.  Then, the bad item is left that way in the PST file, versus removed or turned into white-space.

SuperExMerge would not be able to fix such issues either because it is more specific to the data and the inherent nature of PST files.

however, such does prompt a feedback question.  We are looking to offer an alternative data format from PST files, one that is more of an opaque archive or export/import format.  It would not be usable in Outlook, but would be unlimited with regards to what i mentioned above, as well as file size, and an used mainly for export/import scenarios.
    Your thoughts on such?

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Now his explanation makes perfect sense.
    But we have to see that the problem can be much bigger and more complex than we imagine.
    Call opening up at Microsoft did not have any effect and no solution as incredible as it may seem.

So, since I've had this problem for over a year on this Exchange 2016 server, my solution was to use the export that my own backup tool does, which is Veeam.

However, this software has a problem, when exporting the user's email base, when I use the command:

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox "contoso \ user" -Filepath \\ SRV-MAIL-01.contoso.com.br \ PST $ \ user.pst -BadItemLimit 1000000 -verbose

It does not actually put the folders in their proper place, ie it creates a folder inside the user's folder. that is, in the user's inbox is empty, to have access to the imported inbox, you must open the folder created with the name of the user to have access to the inbox that was imported.

This is the big problem of the Veeam solution, but in fact, I'm using it because I'm seeing that this problem will have no solution.

I will have to then go into each imported mailbox and move the items all to their default folder, this will give me a huge job.

• Marked as answer by Silvio AST Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:58 PM
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:06 PM