none
Client backup: backup database issues RRS feed

• Question

• I find on average that customers with several clients connected to 2012 Essentials suffer from Client Backup failing to work about once a year.  Running the "Repair the backup database" tool fixes the problem (takes a very long time) as long as the destination drive isn't full (which happens unless that drive is WAY larger than the total data to back up).

However, in the case of one of my customers, their Client Backup is failing on a much more regular basis.  Running the tool still fixes the problem so far. 

Is there any explanation why the Client Backup would suddenly become so unreliable?  Nothing has changed in this client's IT.  The destination drive is only half full.

Any troubleshooting recommendations?

Thanks, Peter

Peter

Monday, August 14, 2017 8:07 PM

Answers

• As an update, I never did find any indications why this problem occurs. 

It did improve some, on it's own.  I have only needed to run the Repair a few times this year. 

This server has a lot of different clients to backup, I think that it simply isn't robust enough in the Client Backup programming to handle it.  The programmers seemed to expect this kind of problem in that they made it so easy to run the repair.

So, as long as you keep on top of it, the Client Backup is a great feature.  I have done some very quick and easy disaster recoveries.

Thanks for the help though Eve, your process was as good as could be.  

Maybe the latest version of Essentials is better?

Peter

• Marked as answer by Peter400 Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:54 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that client computer backup fails and "Repair the backup database" tool can fix it.

This built-in tool is used to check/fix backup database. However, without other information, it is difficult to identify the specific cause of client backup problem. It may be relate to system/process/service crashing, 3rd party process effect, temporarily process conflict and etc.

You may check the health report/notification, event viewer, detail error message to collect more information. 

In order to protect important files/system, it is recommended to configure daily schedule backup, and  retention policy. 

As mentioned in - Manage Client Computer Backup in Windows Server Essentials:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713516(v=ws.11).aspx

Also, please check/install available Windows Update on both client and server, it is helpful for improving the performance and resolving some known issues.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:10 AM
  • I have no other indications from which to provide any other information.  As has been noted in the several related posts over the past 5 years: the client backup, and its database, operate in a dark place with very little outward indications of what is going on.

Perhaps there are cryptic bits of useful information hidden away in Event entries and the like, but I don't know where to find them and cannot find useful discussions on the matter.  Hence this posting.

Peter

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

I am quite understand the inconvenience this problem had brought to you. Also, thank you for your detail feedback. 

As this problem happens regularly on specific client device, I would recommend you to compare it with other device and check to see if there is any different that may cause this problem. Such as install application/software, driver/windows update installation status, configuration of client backup and etc. 

Also, once this problem happens again, please confirm that if any relate error/event can be found to have an further identification.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:56 AM
  • This problem appears to be solely confined to the operation of the server.  I cannot see any indication leading to conclude that any specific client device is a factor.

Peter

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

There are backup relate log files, once this problem happens again, you may try to check the log file, and the information may be helpful to narrow down this problem.

Windows Server Essentials 2012/2012 R2 Log Files:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/09/30/windows-server-essentials-20122012-r2-log-files/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:43 AM
  • This is good information.  The next time I am at the customer's site (was just there yesterday; it is on the other side of town)  I will copy these logs for analysis, and see if I can deem anything useful from them.

Peter

Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, August 18, 2017 8:14 AM
  • I can't find any guidance on how to make sense of the client backup logs.  Is there anywhere a discussion of using these particular Server logs in troubleshooting common Client Backup problems?

Peter

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

I have not found any relate article on Microsoft Official website which provides the instruction of reading SBS/Essentials log files. 

In general, you can find the log file on problematic client, and compare it with same log file on working client. Find the deference and error code/message. Then, search the key words on Microsoft website/forum, it may be helpful to find useful information to narrow the problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

I am check to see if you have more question or concern? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 28, 2017 10:12 AM
  • As an update, I never did find any indications why this problem occurs. 

It did improve some, on it's own.  I have only needed to run the Repair a few times this year. 

This server has a lot of different clients to backup, I think that it simply isn't robust enough in the Client Backup programming to handle it.  The programmers seemed to expect this kind of problem in that they made it so easy to run the repair.

So, as long as you keep on top of it, the Client Backup is a great feature.  I have done some very quick and easy disaster recoveries.

Thanks for the help though Eve, your process was as good as could be.  

Maybe the latest version of Essentials is better?

Peter

• Marked as answer by Peter400 Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:54 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:43 PM