none
Office 2010 downloads too much stuff to users' roaming profiles, making it go over the 30MB size limit

Question

• Hey, we recently rolled out to Office 2010 at my workplace.

On the student segment we've activated the 30MB roaming profile size limit, and we've found that a bunch of students have had trouble with this now because Office 2010 seems to download around 8MB of files to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent, which occasionally makes the profile go over the 30MB size limit.

Is there any easy way to prevent this LiveContent from being downloaded?? Anything I can set in the installation transformation file, or preferably with a registry setting or something?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Mythril,

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent contains document themes, smart art, and other template related items that are downloaded from Office.com from within Office 2010 applications. To prevent this content from being downloaded you can set the following registry keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Internet]
    "UseOnlineContent"=dword:00000000
    "DisableTemplateDownload"=dword:00000001

You can also set this using the Office Customization Tool and/or Office Group Policy files. The policy names are "Disable template downloads from the client and from Office.com" and "Online content options"

Regards,
    Sean Francis
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Office Deployment Support Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/odsupport
    • Marked as answer by Mythril Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Mythril,

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent contains document themes, smart art, and other template related items that are downloaded from Office.com from within Office 2010 applications. To prevent this content from being downloaded you can set the following registry keys:

You can also set this using the Office Customization Tool and/or Office Group Policy files. The policy names are "Disable template downloads from the client and from Office.com" and "Online content options"

Regards,
    Sean Francis
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Office Deployment Support Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/odsupport
    • Marked as answer by Mythril Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Thanks!

Actually we have rolled out a policy which disables synchronization of the LiveContent folders to the user profiles. This seems to be sufficient for now. But I've noted down your answer in case we get any more trouble and we have to disable online content completely after all.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Mythril,

I know this is a three year old post and you very well may not even see this but ran across a related problem with Office 2013 and Windows 8 profiles. The Windows 8 profiles are much too large for a shared use computer (in our case mobile cart of Windows 8 hybrid laptops/tablets with comparatively small eMMC drives). The Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent (specifically \15\Managed\Document Themes\1033 for us) folder itself is 30Mb at first run of an office app.

I don't want to disable use of online templates or content but don't want it kept in the profile either. You had mentioned a policy to disable synchronization of the LiveContent folders. Is this specifically in regard to roaming profiles (stored on the network) or does this apply to the locally stored files?

I am looking at ways to shrink a user profile in Windows 8 and this particular folder would help quite a bit with a newly created profile (all profile data, not just the roaming portion) that is immediately over 100Mb after just logging in and opening a couple of apps.

Thanks!

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:38 PM
  • You had mentioned a policy to disable synchronization of the LiveContent folders.

I think it would be this GP admin template setting, it's what we use for this kind of requirement:

File Name: UserProfiles.admx
    Policy Setting Name: Exclude directories in roaming profile  
    Scope: User   
    Policy Path: System\User Profiles     
    Registry Information: HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!ExcludeProfileDirs        
    Supported On: At least Windows 2000     
    Help Text: This policy setting lets you exclude folders that are normally included in the user's profile.
    As a result, these folders do not need to be stored by the network server on which the profile resides and do not follow users to other computers.
    Note: When excluding content from the profile you should try to exclude the narrowest set of data that will address your needs.
    For example, if there is one application with data that should not be roamed then add only that application's specific folder under the AppData\Roaming folder rather than all of the AppData\Roaming folder to the exclusion list.By default, the Appdata\Local and Appdata\LocalLow folders and all their subfolders such as the History, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders are excluded from the user's roaming profile.In operating systems earlier than Microsoft Windows Vista, only the History, Local Settings, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders are excluded from the user's roaming profile by default.If you enable this policy setting, you can exclude additional folders.If you disable this policy setting or do not configure it, only the default folders are excluded.
    Note: You cannot use this policy setting to include the default folders in a roaming user profile.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:45 AM edit
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:45 AM
  • Hi Jared,

We are having this same problem with Office 2013, did you manage to solve this issue?

Thanks

Steve

Friday, October 17, 2014 12:09 PM
  • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent contains document themes, smart art, and other template related items that are downloaded from Office.com from within Office 2010 applications. To prevent this content from being downloaded you can set the following registry keys:

Thanks for this clue, Sean. If I'm using Office 365, am I correct that the registry keys should be located at:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Internet] ?

--

Bob

Saturday, December 26, 2015 7:01 AM