none
Outlook 2010 Delegates slow calendar access

Question

• Dear all,

we are using outlook 2010 SP1 with exchange 2010 SP1.

Our CEO has three assistants, 2 have editor access to his calendar, one of them has full mailbox access.
    All of them have "download shared folders" unchecked in their server settings, on workstations they are working in cached mode, on terminal servers in online mode.

Accessing the CEO's calendar takes about 15-20 seconds for the two "editor" assistants, about 1-5 seconds for the "Full Mailbox" assistant.
    I can reproduce this behaviour on a 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Server with Office 2010 SP1.

Any suggestions why this happens and how to speed up the access for the "editor" assistants?

(enabling "download shared folders" is no option, full mailbox access is not possible)

Many thanks in advance.

Markus

Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

• Then it should be possible to add the Calendar folder directly:

As a test I gave myself "reviewer" permission on the mailbox, editor permission on the Calendar folder and added the mailbox to outlook.
    This is as slow as before - am I missing something?

No, you just confirmed my statement as these are still per-folder (on in-mailbox) permissions.

Do some testing with some clean mailboxes, use the performance tools as indicated and re-evaluate your Exchange hardware configuration as per the documented requirements and the Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator:
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Exchange-2010-Mailbox-Server-Role-

If it is still slow then and your Exchange infrastructure meets the minimal requirements then you'll need to contact Microsoft for further analysis or you could be hitting a bug.

In this case, I assume that you've ruled out any 3rd party software as well which you might have integrated with Outlook or Exchange.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• It seems we are encountered Outlook 2010 Shared calendar access slow performance for the "editor" assistant. That is normal behavior as expected if you don't download share folder. Since the assistants would access his boss's mailbox from his own mailbox and find/get the calendar information, this performance would be slower than the performance when we have "download shared folders".

On the Outlook client, I have no idea to Optimize this performance. You'd better to consider this on Server site or network.

Bt the way, does the assistances are in the same data store with their boss's ?

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, October 05, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Hi Tony,

thanks for your reply.
    there seems some kind of misunderstanding:

"download shared folders" is disabled for all of them - on the terminal server there is no caching at all.

one of them - fast calendar access (full access to the mailbox)

two of them - slow calendar access (editor permissions for calendar)

I know that accessing a downloaded folder is faster than accessing an online folder on the server, but all 3 of them are accessing the same folder online.
    The only difference is that "full mailbox access" user access the calendar via "my calendars" in outlook while the users with "editor" permissions are accessing it through "shared calendars".

I tested it myself and as soon as I had full mailbox access the speed increased significantly and when I changed it to "editor" permission it was much slower again (on a termina lserver with no caching of nothing).

Best regards

Markus.

Friday, October 05, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Full Mailbox (AD object-level) access is indeed quicker to process than per-folder (Outlook) permissions. By how much depends on many technical factors but also partly on how many items there are in the shared Calendar. Have you tried it with some new accounts already just for testing? You can then see how it behaves in your environment with 0, 1, 10, 100, 1000 or more items in the folder.

To analyze where the additional processing time is coming from, you'll probably have to do some performance analyzing on the Exchange server. For this you might want to use PerfView.

Friday, October 05, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply.
    "Full Mailbox (AD object-level) access is indeed quicker to process than per-folder (Outlook) permissions"

Then it should be possible to add the Calendar folder directly:

As a test I gave myself "reviewer" permission on the mailbox, editor permission on the Calendar folder and added the mailbox to outlook.

Best regards

Markus

Monday, October 08, 2012 9:46 AM
  • I agree that Roady's point "Full Mailbox (AD object-level) access is indeed quicker to process than per-folder (Outlook) permissions"

You may do some tests according to Roady's suggestion if you are free.

Have a good day.

Cheers,

Tony Chen

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Then it should be possible to add the Calendar folder directly:

No, you just confirmed my statement as these are still per-folder (on in-mailbox) permissions.

Do some testing with some clean mailboxes, use the performance tools as indicated and re-evaluate your Exchange hardware configuration as per the documented requirements and the Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator:
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Exchange-2010-Mailbox-Server-Role-

If it is still slow then and your Exchange infrastructure meets the minimal requirements then you'll need to contact Microsoft for further analysis or you could be hitting a bug.

In this case, I assume that you've ruled out any 3rd party software as well which you might have integrated with Outlook or Exchange.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hello, Any update?

Cheers,

Tony Chen

Friday, October 12, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

it seems to be like Roady says.

Per folder access is much slower than full mailbox access.
    This means that there is no workaround for me, it will be slow for the assistants.

Thanks

Markus

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:54 AM