none
Outlook 2010 "The end date you entered is before the start date..."

Question

• More bullshit from Microsoft. Installed Office 2010 yesterday. Tried to change the start page. When I go to Options/ Advanced / Start Outlook in this folder: and change it to Inbox, I get an error "The end date you entered occurs before the start date"

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• I just found the answer.

It's a bug

in the junk ____ software

____ you microsoft for putting this out when you absolutely knew about it.

here's the answer and the fix works

There is no resolution for this problem. Work days
    displayed by the calendar feature in Microsoft Outlook
    2010 must end at 11:30 PM.

If you go to File/ Options/ Calendar/ WorkTime and change Work Hours: End time: to 11:30 pm from the DEFAULT setting of 5:00pm, it stops the error.

Thank you G North for working on this with me.

That was about 10  hours of my finite life.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi

The only setting in Options that would trigger that message is under Calendar in Options.  If you set the start time of your working hours to a time after the end date you will get that message.

Guess the bods at MS don't understand you work nights.

G North MMI
    • Proposed as answer by ChaosFreak Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:45 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I have never been into "working hours" or any other settings in Calendar.

I just went and looked there since you mentioned it. The default settings are 8:00 to 5:00 Work week M,T,W,Th,F and First day of week Sunday First week of year Starts on Jan 1

So what about those settings is causing this inability to tell it to start in the Inbox?

Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Hi

If by 5:00 you mean 17:00 then nothing will prevent you changing the start folder.  I was only pointing out the part of the Option dialog box that would generate that error message.

If however you set the start after the end, then when you click the Ok button you get the message you quoted. And you will not be able to exit the Options dialog unitil you correct the problem or press Cancel. Pressing Cancel will lose the options you have set including the Start folder.

G North MMI
    Friday, December 17, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Hi

If by 5:00 you mean 17:00 then nothing will prevent you changing the start folder.  I was only pointing out the part of the Option dialog box that would generate that error message.

If however you set the start after the end, then when you click the Ok button you get the message you quoted. And you will not be able to exit the Options dialog unitil you correct the problem or press Cancel. Pressing Cancel will lose the options you have set including the Start folder.

G North MMI

You mean "If by 5:00 MICROSOFT means 17:00"

I have not made any changes.

I TRIED to make ONE change and that is the start page.

This is a 100% default installation. And a piece of ____ at that. All I wanted was the Excel x64 and I had to take on this piece of ____ for a ride.

So what did Microsoft ____ up this time?

Friday, December 17, 2010 10:26 PM
  • What version did you upgrade from?

If you didn't upgrade did you manually transfer anything from a previous version of Outlook, or other system.

The only other sources of this message is a Task, Calendar appointment or a Custom flag on a mail message.  In the 2010 version, setting times/dates incorrectly is impossible unless you manually type the end time of an appointment/task and even then it won't let you save it (produces your error message).  Some of the older versions were no so fussy about trapping user entry errors.

Do you get this message at any other time, say when you click on your calendar, task list?

G North MMI
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:59 PM
  • It won't let you upgrade to x64 from an x32 version. I uninstalled Office 2007 x32 and installed Office 2010 x64.

I had copied my Outlook file from C/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook and pasted it on another drive so all my stuff would not be destroyed like Microsoft is known for.

But when I installed the 2010 version and started it up, all of my mail, contacts, etc. were already there.

I just went through the entire history of appointments in my calendar. I only found one "All day event" (where both start and stop are greyed out and say 12:00) and so I deleted that appointment. All other appointments have a start time and a stop time. I checked the stop times on all of them and they are relative to the start time in minutes after (30 minutes, etc) so none of them can have "The end date you entered is before the start date"

And what it the world does any of this have to do with the start page in Outlook? It's starting in Outlook Today and I want it to start in Inbox.

It's ____ junk; that's what it is.

The hours and hours to fight this trash is astounding.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I just found the answer.

It's a bug

in the junk ____ software

____ you microsoft for putting this out when you absolutely knew about it.

here's the answer and the fix works

There is no resolution for this problem. Work days
    displayed by the calendar feature in Microsoft Outlook
    2010 must end at 11:30 PM.

If you go to File/ Options/ Calendar/ WorkTime and change Work Hours: End time: to 11:30 pm from the DEFAULT setting of 5:00pm, it stops the error.

Thank you G North for working on this with me.

That was about 10  hours of my finite life.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Starting about three weeks ago my code started encountering the error "The end date you entered is before the start date" which is returned when retrieving the EntryID for the appointment. The software reads all the events from an Outlook calendar and then gets the EntryID. The call on the EntryID which is AppointmentItem.EntryID returns this error message.

What does "The end date you entered is before the start date" have to do with reading the EntryID of an appointment.

Again, this issue started only a few weeks ago. Is there any chance that some mystery automatic update to Office introduced this issue the same way that a recent Office/Outlook update completely wiped out my Outlook archiving functionality until I uninstalled one of the KB updates on my system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for what is a cryptic message given the context that it is occuring.

dave
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:02 PM
  • You can accidentally trigger the midnight overlapping day by trying to save some changes in the OPTIONS area if you are presently in a different time zone from when you last set your working day.  You need to move many zones but if, for example, you live West Coast and are in Europe at the time you try to save any OPTIONS changes you will hit the error since Outlook has automatically adjusted the timings on your Outlook calendar.  There will be a nine or ten hour shift meaning that the West Coast normal working day crosses the midnight time in Europe.  How do I know this  -  guess  -  I have felt the pain!
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Thank you very much. It solved my problem.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Thanks alot!! I have changed end date to 11:30PM. Now Its working fine. :) 
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Thanks alot!!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Thanks.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Thanks Hmmm..

My default working hours was 15:00 -> 00:00.

Could not customize-add "Advanced find" to the ribbon.

Canged calendar workig hours to 9:00 -> 17:00, and customize worked.

ebaklund

Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:52 PM
  • The diagnosis is right on the dot. My configuration was messed up with work hours starting and ending at crazy times. Fixed that and it stopped giving that error.

Thanks a bunch!
    Simao Campos

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:25 PM
  • answer with screenshots http://the-it-help-desk.com/joomla16/index.php/tips-tricks-and-hints
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:41 AM
  • The same thing happens to me when I come home from a trip to Japan...
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Its amazing simple steps but issue is resolve...nice..

Monday, March 03, 2014 8:03 AM
  • This issue resides in Outlook 2013 also. Seems Microsoft has had ample time to address this issue and provide a resolution.

I found if your start time is a higher number than the end time the error appears anytime you make changes under Options. 

Microsoft gives no credence to AM vs PM, whether you select the first 5 or second 5 it is considered before either 8 in the list. 

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:26 PM
  • 11:30pm works a charm you saved me 10hours, thanks!!
    Friday, March 28, 2014 2:55 PM