none
SharePoint Task List export to excel - Subtasks order not retained RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who is using a task list to store the tasks their department is working on. They have some subtasks as well.

Now they are trying to pull a report through excel which seems to be working but the structure of tasks and sub tasks are not retained. Is there a way to pull the report into excel by retaining the structure? This is in SharePoint 2013 version by the way.

I read some where that the excel export it based on the creation time. It seems to be true.

Any quick OOB resolution will be helpful.

Thank you in advance

• Edited by ViviSP Thursday, May 5, 2016 7:26 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 1:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ViviSP,

According to your description, “export to excel“ feature won’t retain structure.

Per my knowledge, there is no OOB way to retain structure. E.g. task and subtask

However, changing order is available. Here are two ways:

1. Modify view to the order you want, then export to excel.

2. Change order in excel directly. Click column and you can customize order.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 6, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Chris,

Its the row order not the column order I am talking about. It looks like I have to do something in excel to recreate the structure.

Anyway thanks for your time and reply.

• Edited by ViviSP Friday, May 6, 2016 1:34 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi ViviSP,

What I talked about are the  ways to change row order instead of column order.

This structure cannot be retained.

If you export the list, the subtasks will show as the main task.

However, the row order can be changed.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 9, 2016 8:27 AM