none
java mobile client & CWA server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys.

We’re experiencing an unusual problem when our user try to logon to OCS using Communicator mobile java client installed their nokia phones

We are a small organisation with a OCS 2007 R2 for a couple of hundred users. We use an ISA server to publish our CWA server to the internet so users can logon to OCS using their home computer.

Externally , users can logon and use CWA via a non company laptop \ desktop fine using Internet browser. However when they try to use the Java mobile communicator client on their phone (nokia), clients get the following error “cannot sign in. Cannot connect to the server because it may be busy or temporarily unavailable. Please try again. If the problem persists contact your system administrator”.

There’s nothing in the event logs indicating a problem on either CWA or the front end server, also CWA IE browser users can still logon ok even though the java client can’t.

As a test I removed and reinstalled the client from the getcomo web site direct to the mobile phone but still same problem.

Here’s the weird part. If we reboot the CWA server, the java mobile clients then work for an hour or so.

Tried to use the logging tool but can only see CWAsnapin and CWAsetup in the components list . I enabled both of these to trap all errors but did not capture anything. This included logging both before or after I rebooted the CWA server and each time trying to logon using the java client. In TechNet I found two entries for the components list – R1 it mentions different CWA components (includeing one for authentication) – but the R2 entry simply states to go by how Microsoft PS advise you to select.

My question is anyone seen this before of have any ideas? Secondly any pointers on the logging for the CWA logon using the java client?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

After researching, it more or less looks like a performance issue for IIS and perflog for IIS would help if there is any Memory leak or VM issue with IIS.

Apart from this we can enable loggin on Communication Mobile Content application pool

here are the steps.

Open IIS Manager on CWA Server

-> Application Pools

->W3SVC175074822 - Communicator Mobile Contents (Open Advanced Settings)

->Generate Recycle Event Log Entry.

and even you can try editing application pool Setting -> Managed pipeline mode from Integrated to classic

Arun Kumar | MCSE - 2K3 + Messaging | ITIL-F V3
    • Proposed as answer by Arun_Kumar Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Monday, December 27, 2010 7:17 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:53 PM

All replies

• Can you capture an unsuccessful attempt on the front end server and edge with the s4 and sipstack traces?

Mark King | MCTS:UC Voice | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    • Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Friday, May 28, 2010 10:08 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Would you test COMO on windows mobile have a try?

And make sure the configurations of server components and deployment process are meet the requirements that states on the below TechNet documents.

Communicator Mobile for Java

Best Regards!

Friday, May 28, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hi Mark.

Thanks for responding to my post.

We haven’t deployed an edge server as there is no external conferencing, we at this point just have the CWA (as we all have nokia E63 phones and therefore use java communicator clients).

I've just ran the logging tool against the front end server and selected S4 and sipstack (all flags, first tried errors \ warning etc but nothing logged so then tried all levels however nothing seemed to stick out – did a search for my SIP URI etc but nothing seems to stand out as an authentication error.

In the windows application event log on the CWA server found we’re getting the following error – not sure if it’s related:

“Access to the Root\MicrosoftIISv2 namespace was denied because the namespace is marked with RequiresEncryption”

Have just rebooted the CWA server…. was able to logon via my java client ok. tested signing out and back in ok - however that fix will only last a couple of hours before users can't sign back in to the java communicator client again.

Friday, May 28, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Have you checked the Application Pools in IIS
    Are they running?
    Maybe the Service Account that hosts the CWA has an expired password.

Did you verify the password expiration settings on the CWA account?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/F54A9C12-D177-4535-A201-B07F8B03EB93

Best Regards!
    • Proposed as answer by Arun_Kumar Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:42 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Hello.

Yes the password is ok & password is set never to expire (also java clients can logon after the CWA server is rebooted)

We can log onto the CWA service from an external PC via IE browswer at the same time when the java communicator logon fails.

Have downloaded the java client direct to phone from getcomo web site (make \ model of phone & service provider are on the list). Also was able to get my hands on an E72 to try (that's also one of the 2 phones that according to technet can use the alternative nokia 1.0 client - same results as the java client on the E62).

I don't think it's the phones - all points back to something on the CWA server \ OCS.

Another observation - think the problem must be arround authentication of the mobile java clients & CWA server. Once the CWA server is rebooted, they can sign in and out and back in again with no problems using the java client. Also if they stay signed into the java client they work fine. However after a couple of hours if they sign out - they cannot then sign back in (get the server error). All very strange!

All application pools are running, but...... have found that via the applications pool tasks in IIS, I just recycled the mobile communicator cleint app pool -and then was able to logon via the java client (however I suspect this will only last for an hour or so and then will find users would not be able to sign in again).

Friday, May 28, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Following on - still looking at this problem.

Nothing from logging (CWAauth etc etc).

IIS logs don't show any problems either.

Had some OCS experts look at this and they can't find a problem with the config, nor understand why this has occured also.

Tried to get to the bottom of the problem, but looks like stuck on this. Going to rebuild the CWA server and put it down to a weird glitch with OCS installation I guess as nobody else has seen this or can find a problem with the config! Weird.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Is it possible for you to paste the IIS log here?
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on this yet? it would be possible to isolate whether the request from client is reaching to the server or not.

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

After researching, it more or less looks like a performance issue for IIS and perflog for IIS would help if there is any Memory leak or VM issue with IIS.

Apart from this we can enable loggin on Communication Mobile Content application pool

here are the steps.

Open IIS Manager on CWA Server

-> Application Pools

->W3SVC175074822 - Communicator Mobile Contents (Open Advanced Settings)

->Generate Recycle Event Log Entry.

and even you can try editing application pool Setting -> Managed pipeline mode from Integrated to classic

• Proposed as answer by Arun_Kumar Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Monday, December 27, 2010 7:17 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Any update?
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Any update?
    Arun Kumar | MCSE:W2K3 + Messaging | MCTS:Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 R2 | ITIL-F V3
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Arun Kumar,

Thanks! This solved my problem with Nokia phones and CWA.

Koenraad.

Friday, December 24, 2010 2:34 PM