none
IOS 13 - Return of the IOS 6.1 Problem Quickly Filling Exchange Log Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Remember the issue back in 2012-2013 where devices using IOS 6.1 would rapidly fill Exchange Server logs?

Like Poltergeist, they're back.

Upgraded two iPhones and an iPad yesterday to IOS 13.1 and IPadOS 13.1. Suddenly the Exchange log files filled up within 3 hours, where they never fill up during the course of a day. We run a Veeam backup each evening which also resets the logs, but they're now filling up within hours before the evening's backup can run.

Short of denying our Apple users of syncing with the Exchange Server (not an option), what else can we do?

Friday, September 27, 2019 10:02 PM

Answers

• I'd like to take credit for fixing this, but I haven't. The issue just stopped with the update to IOS 13.1. I'm not sure if ActiveSync just finally synchronized or the issue was resolved.

In any event, I'm not having the issue any more.

• Marked as answer by Flexman77 Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:08 PM

All replies

• Remember the issue back in 2012-2013 where devices using IOS 6.1 would rapidly fill Exchange Server logs?

Like Poltergeist, they're back.

Upgraded two iPhones and an iPad yesterday to IOS 13.1 and IPadOS 13.1. Suddenly the Exchange log files filled up within 3 hours, where they never fill up during the course of a day. We run a Veeam backup each evening which also resets the logs, but they're now filling up within hours before the evening's backup can run.

Short of denying our Apple users of syncing with the Exchange Server (not an option), what else can we do?

Use the Outlook App instead? Unfortunately, this is an Apple issue so it would have to be addressed that way. You could open a ticket with Microsoft, but Apple, in most cases, would need to fix this.
    Friday, September 27, 2019 10:56 PM
  • So far we didn't receive other users' feedback related to this issue, here is a knowledge base applied to iOS 6.1 and Exchange 2010, it indicates the most qualified solution is waiting for the official fix, either install the update files or upgrade the OS. 

Rapid growth in transaction logs, CPU use, and memory consumption in Exchange Server 2010 when a user syncs a mailbox by using an iOS 6.1 or 6.1.1-based device

You may also start troubleshooting the issue through the methods decribed in "More Information" section.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Getting the same issue here, user running iOS 13.1.1 and connecting to Exchange Server 2010 version 14.03.0468.000. Logs are being generated at a rate of over one per second (1 MB per log file). Exchange User Monitor pinpoints the user and shows massive constant Log Bytes. Disabling ActiveSync on the mailbox stops the problem (and of course prevents the user being able to use email).

Glenn

Monday, September 30, 2019 10:18 AM
  • Getting the same issue here, user running iOS 13.1.1 and connecting to Exchange Server 2010 version 14.03.0468.000. Logs are being generated at a rate of over one per second (1 MB per log file). Exchange User Monitor pinpoints the user and shows massive constant Log Bytes. Disabling ActiveSync on the mailbox stops the problem (and of course prevents the user being able to use email).

Glenn

Thanks for your feedback, Glenn!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:51 AM
  • We are also seeing this issue (rapid log generation) in our environment.  User running iOS 13.1.1, Exchange version 14.03.0435.00.  We used ExMon to identify the offending account.  
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:16 PM
  • I found I could mitigate/cure the issue by turning off one or more services in iOS Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Exchange (Mail / Contacts / Calendars / Reminders / Notes). And because I turned off Mail, I installed Outlook for iOS as a mail app instead of using the built-in Apple Mail app.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Same thing here - Disable Active sync stops the filling...

It seems that not all iPhones experience this issue, approx. 40% of our iPhone 8's on IOS13.1.2 have had this issue, so far...

Workaround: Delete mail-account on iPhone and set it up again...

Apple needs to fix this!

Monday, October 7, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Another "me too".
    Some of our IOS 13.1.1. and IOS 13.1.2 devices are filling up Exchange 2010 (SP3 UR29) logs. The larger the mailbox (> 3 GB), the more logs are produced.

Disabling ActiveSync on those mailboxes stops logs filling up diskspace...

Regards

Juergen

• Edited by J. Juergen Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:29 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 7:43 AM
  • For our user who had this problem, the issue now seems to have resolved itself. Maybe the issue naturally comes to an end once whatever is happening has completed its process. I guess in the meantime, consider temporarily increasing the frequency of doing Exchange full backup (this deletes the logs).
    Monday, October 14, 2019 8:06 AM
  • We are having the same issue as well.  And have performance degradation of our Exchange environment to a concerning level. 

Our institution has opened up a Premier Support ticket with Microsoft and opened a support ticket with Apple that we have escalated its urgency to highest level possible.  We know that Apple is looking into this issue and have provided them multiple logs requested from the iOS 13 device.

We have requested the Microsoft TAM and Apple TAM on our accounts to meet every day for updates to keep communication channels open regarding the issue.

Unlike the previous post, we have not seen the issue go away and have tried all versions of iOS 13 as requested by Apple.  We have messaged users to disable the Apple-Reminders / Exchange-Tasks sync as the work-around (steps documented by Banana Jack), but obviously some users ignore or do not read our request to take action individually.

We will post an update here when we get one.  Appreciate others posting as well.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Dear DeanLS, 

Any news on any of your open support cases?

Regards 

Eve Meier

Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:57 AM
  • Could you please post an update to the community, thanks!!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:53 PM
  • I'd like to take credit for fixing this, but I haven't. The issue just stopped with the update to IOS 13.1. I'm not sure if ActiveSync just finally synchronized or the issue was resolved.

In any event, I'm not having the issue any more.

• Marked as answer by Flexman77 Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:08 PM