none
How to set the default colour and weigth of connectors RRS feed

• Question

• When I draw connectors I always have to set the colour and weigth manually after I have drawn the connector. Is there a way to change the default colour and weigth of new connectors and is there a way of having "sets" of colour and weitgth settings that I can just click on before I draw a connector?
    • Edited by cbscpe Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:45 AM clarification
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the default dynamic connector style can be changed in the follow method:

1. Open your diagram
    2. Menu -> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil.

New Stencil window shows up in left of screen, with lots of shapes!)

1. Select the "Dynamic Connector"!
    2. Right mouse-click -> Edit Master -> Edit Master Shape

Master Shape is opened for editing.

1. Change the Line Colour, Line Thickness, Arrow Type etc!
    2. Close the Master Shape.

You will be asked, do you want to save and update all linked items.

Notice: If you say yes, this will change the format of all of the connectors that were created using the "Dynamic Connector" and this is not the general DEFAULT, but the default for the current document you are working on. I am guessing it can also be applied to the standard visio template.

You can also change the default for the current document you are working on:

1. On the Developer tab of the ribbon in the Show/Hide group check Document Stencil. The Developer tab isn't displayed by default, but you can add it to the ribbon.
    2. In the Shapes pane, select the Document Stencil stencil.
    3. Right-click the Dynamic Connector shape and choose Edit Master > Edit Master Shape.
    4. Add arrow to the shape, then exit and save it.

In addition, Visio 2013 and later use Themes to define the default connector. Here's how to change the Theme that affects the default connector (the one used when choosing the Connector tool on the ribbon or by pressing CTRL+3). This affects the current document only:

1. Add the Define Styles command to the ribbon (it's not there by default):

a. In the File menu choose Options then select Customize Ribbon in the left pane.

b. You need a custom group in which to add the command, so below Customize the Ribbonselect the entry for the Design tab then click New Group

c. In the Choose commands from: dropdown select Commands Not in the Ribbon

d. Find the command Define Styles.... Select the custom group you added in step b, then click Add > >.

e. click OK to close Visio Options.

2. Back in the main application, on the Design tab of the ribbon in the New Group group click Define Styles.

3. In the dialog box, in the Name: drop down select Connector. In the Based on: drop down select Theme. Then click Shape....

4.Make the desired changes. Add the arrow.

5. Click OK to close the dialogs and you're done!

Hope the information was helpful. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:37 AM