none
Move 'Reply All' on Ribbon in Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• The company I work for wants to allow users to Reply All, but in order to reduce the risk of accidental Reply Alls it was suggested that we move the 'Reply All' button out of the Respond group, and to the end of the the Ribbon.  Apparently, this was possible in Outlook 2007, but we have yet to figure out how it's done in Outlook 2010.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Matt

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:54 PM

Answers

• This looked like it was working great, but then I had a user send a message with Voting Buttons and we discovered:

1. Users with the Custom Respond Group did not have voting buttons.
    2. I could not locate Voting Buttons in the Commands list under Customize Ribbon.
    3. Voting Buttons appear to be a dynamic element as they appear in Customize Ribbon>Respond Group only if you are viewing a message with Voting Buttons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, we can follow these steps to Customize Ribbon in outlook 2010:

1. Click File tab. Under Help, click Options. Click Customize Ribbon.
    2. Choose the “Respond” in the right frame and click Remove.
    3. Click twice New Group. Rename the first “New Group (Custom)” as “Respond (Custom)”, and the second as “Reply all (Custom)”.
    4. Select “Main Tabs” from “Choose commands from: ” on the top of left frame.
    5. Expand “Home (Mail)” and “Respond” in left frame.
    6. Select the “Respond (Custom)” in right frame.
    7. Select and Add the commands “Post reply”, ”Reply”, ”Forward” , “Meeting” , ”IM” , ”More” from left frame to “Respond (Custom)” one by one.
    8. Select the “Reply all (Custom)” in right frame.
    9. Select and Add the command “Reply All” to “Reply all (Custom)”.
    10. Move down the Group “Reply all (Custom)” under “Send/Receive (IMAP/POP)” by click Down Arrow (at the right of right frame).
    11. Click OK.

Note: If you fail to set it, you can reset to default by click button Reset (below the right frame) and choose Reset only selected Ribbon tab.

More detailed information about “Customize Ribbon” you can refer to this link:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HA010355697&lcid=1033&NS=OUTLOOK&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=f5192cc0c8ca4f81a351d24e5cb231ca

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Matt.Wolfgang Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Matt.Wolfgang Monday, October 10, 2011 4:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Thank you so much!  I can't believe the answer was so easy.  I was so focused on the fact that you couldn't move the individual items in the group that I didn't even think about just recreating the group.

For anyone else who found this post useful, I found info on deploying the customizations here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704589.aspx

We're testing it tomorrow and will probably roll it out to the users in the next few days.

Thanks again, William!

Matt

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:16 AM
  • This looked like it was working great, but then I had a user send a message with Voting Buttons and we discovered:

1. Users with the Custom Respond Group did not have voting buttons.
    2. I could not locate Voting Buttons in the Commands list under Customize Ribbon.
    3. Voting Buttons appear to be a dynamic element as they appear in Customize Ribbon>Respond Group only if you are viewing a message with Voting Buttons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Thanks so much for this valuable info.  I had been researching on how to remove reply all plus some other unused items from the ribbon when I stumbled across this post.  This worked perfectly for my purposes, I appreciate your help.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Just found this solution (one year later!).  Thanks for posting it.  It works perfectly.

Golem100

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:58 PM
  • This is exactly what I came up with to protect my self from the inadvertent reply to all and it works fine, but if you delete the non-customized Respond group, you lose the ability to see voting buttons.  Apparently, only the non-customized Respond group allows voting buttons to appear when the sender has requested voting and not appear for e-mails that do not have voting buttons.

Is there a workaround for this anywhere?  Otherwise, this fix just breaks something else.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Did you happen to come up with a workaround/resolution for the voting button issue by chance?
    Friday, February 17, 2017 4:25 PM