none
Export/Import SPWeb Functionality RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of slowly migrating our SharePoint farm from 2010 to 2016.  For messy reasons, we need to migrate a few site collections by breaking out a subsite into it's own site collection with the export-spweb/import-spweb cmdlets and then migrating both the original and new site collection into 2016. Once in 2016, we want to take the content of the new site collection, and move it back into its original location as a subsite of the original site collection. Can we also accomplish this with the export-spweb/import-spweb cmdlets?
    Monday, March 12, 2018 3:58 PM

Answers

• There are a few problems with this approach. One, you cannot export from 2010 and import into 2016 if that is your intention. The second, usually larger issue is that you lose all associations, for example, a workflow on a list will break as export-spweb is not full fidelity. Lastly, you cannot use these cmdlets if Publishing has been enabled on a site.

I'd suggest looking at a 3rd party migration tool instead, like Sharegate.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 12, 2018 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Nuhthaniel.

First of all, remember one important caveat: you cannot migrate directly from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016, you have to pass through SharePoint 2013 and then move to SharePoint 2016.
    You can export all the webs and sub-webs you need using the Export-SPWeb cmdlet, thus having a bunch of web objects; then you'll create all the target site collections in the SharePoint 2016 farm and the exported webs will be moved into the newly created site collections using the Import-SPWeb cmdlet pointing to the specific URL of the target site collection. Did I correctly understand your scenario?
    Remember that the Export-SPWeb and Import-SPWeb cmdlets manipulate SPWeb objects (i.e., sites and sub-sites), not site collections.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, March 12, 2018 4:36 PM
  • There are a few problems with this approach. One, you cannot export from 2010 and import into 2016 if that is your intention. The second, usually larger issue is that you lose all associations, for example, a workflow on a list will break as export-spweb is not full fidelity. Lastly, you cannot use these cmdlets if Publishing has been enabled on a site.

I'd suggest looking at a 3rd party migration tool instead, like Sharegate.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 12, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Hey Trevor,

Thanks for the response.  We've actually been using Content Matrix to migrate most of our site collections.  There are only two that we could not migrate because Content Matrix cannot copy certain workflows in the site collection without writing directly to the SQL database, breaking our support agreement with MS.  We were trying to migrate these site collections the traditional route, backup and restore 2010 to 2013 to 2016, but needed to change the managed path as well.  The sites are too large (400 GBs) to handle the Backup-SPSite cmdlet, so we were having trouble changing the managed path.  So, we were attempting to break off the portion of the site Content Matrix can't copy with export/import-SPWeb, and copy the original site collection to 2016 with a new managed path using  content Matrix and then migrating the piece we broke off through 2013 to 2016 and then re-importing as a subsite into the larger site collection.  However, if workflows won't copy, it sounds like this approach won't work?  I know this is a lot of information to take in, but do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Nate

Monday, March 12, 2018 5:07 PM