none
Event ID's 1502 and 1508 User Profile does not load properly on Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server non roaming profiles

Question

• I have having a problem with my Server 2008 32bit Terminal Server.  After a few days of being used, some users when logging on do not get their user profiles.  I am not using roaming profiles.  The problem goes away for a few days after a restart.  I have already tried applying the registry changes applying to pool size.  Any one have any thoughts?  This problem is keeping me from rolling out the server completely.  The error I get are below:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. 

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. 

and

Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. \DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.  for C:\Users\im\ntuser.dat

and

Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

and

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:17 AM

Answers

• Checked the log and found the PID still point to System. To fix the issue, we may have to gather more information such as network monitor trace or dump file. I am afraid that your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support.  Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem occurs because of a race condition in which the Ntuser.dat file of the user cannot be mounted correctly. Please check the following KB 960464 to fix the issue.

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer that uses roaming user profiles: "Unable to log you on because your profile could not be loaded, please contact your administrator"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960464

If the issue persists, you can try the following ways.

UPHClean v2.0 beta
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/uphclean/archive/2008/02/28/uphclean-v2-0-beta.aspx

Error message: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded”, when logging on to Windows 7 or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 13, 2011 1:56 AM
  • As far as KB960464 I am not using roaming profiles.  The profiles reside directly on the server.

I can't use UPHClean as this is a Windows 2008 server and it won't install.

As far as KB947215, is not a permanent fix.  Restarting the server fixes the profiles for a few days, then it starts happening again.

I uninstalled my Symantec AV thinking it had something to do with that, but the problem still occurs.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hello,

i've tested the hotfix for my server 2008 terminal server environment, but the hotfix is only for vista based systems. So no solution there, i'm looking forward to another solution to solve this issue.

My case is exactly the same as Supermig's.

The weird thing is i've tested with roaming and local profiles but both have the same problems, it seems that a register file is in use by other users and during logof the profile cannot be closed properly. This causes a backup profile, after deletion of this backup via advanced system properties everything works like a charm for a short wile varying from days to a week.

Thanks in forward,

Bart

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

From the symptom description, the issue is mostly caused by the application handled the profile when the user tried to logon to TS.

User Action

==========
    1. You may have tried the following steps on TS:

a. Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

b. Under this registry key, create a new DWORD PoolUsageMaximum and set the value to 60 (decimal).

Create another DWORD PagedPoolSize and set the value to ffffffff.

2. We can use Process Explorer to tried to find which application locked ntuser.dat:

a). Download Process Explorer from the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

b). After extracting it on TS, run procexp.exe.
    c). Try to logon to TS to reproduce the issue.
    d). When you got the error message, go to Process Explorer, select Find menu -> Find Handle or DLL, type the ntuser.dat, and click search.
    e). Check if the path like C:\Users\im\ntuser.dat exsits.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Hello Tim Ta,

I've done your procedure and the path c:\Users\%username%\ntuser.dat exists for every user account. Whats next?

Greetings

Monday, July 4, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

Have you found the process name that hold the concerned user name c:\Users\%username%\ntuser.dat? if so, please copy the process name to me.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:29 AM
  • I created the default pool size key, no change.

The process holding the ntuser.dat is the system process.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Suggestion
    =========
    Please perform clean boot on the Windows 2008 to check if the issue persits:

a)   Click Start>>Run, type msconfig, press Enter.

b)   In the System Configuration Utility window, click services tab, select the “Hide all Microsoft Services” check box, and then uncheck the check box of the services which are listed in the window. Click Disable All button.

c)   On the startup tab, click the disable all button, and then restart the server.

Information Collection
    ===================
    When the issue happens aain, please collect handle trace on the server:

1.  Download Handle tool from following link:

URL: <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Handle.mspx>

2.  Extract the file and run the tool using following command. Make sure the location file is correct.

C:\>handle -a >c:\handle.txt

3. Please let me know the user name that the profile cannot be loaded.

you can upload the file to the following link:

URL:
    https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=34b13cab-0f08-4b26-a29a-66c5d46739ec
    Password: sQbwiETF9KSYZJ

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Please give me a few days to replicate the problem.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Can you try rename the user's profile that has the problem, it may corrupted.

in the registry, you need to rename his profile  as well to generate a new profile.

Regards, Wee Yang
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Jim, I have uploaded the file you wanted.  The user that was having the problem today was Venus.  After I uploaded the file, more users complained about their profile.  I was forced to restart to make it go away.  I hope the information provided helps you help me find a resolution to this problem.

hoo0302, renaming profiles was the first thing I tried.  FYI, it does not work in anything other than XP.  If you rename a profile, you get a temporary profile anyway.  I have to backup the user's data first, then go into computer properties, user profiles and delete the profile and login again.  Even after doing that the problem persists.  If you have a better way of renaming profiles in Vista, 7, and Server 2008, please let me know.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Thanks.

From the log, the ntuser.dat for the user Venus is handled by System Process (PID=4).
    --------------------------------

Line 537:   850: File  (---)   C:\Users\Venus\ntuser.dat.LOG2

Line 744:   BD0: File  (---)   C:\Users\Venus\NTUSER.DAT

Line 745:   BD4: File  (R--)   C:\Users\Venus\NTUSER.DAT{7d5ec63a-c5bc-11dc-a02b-0019bbe6a65a}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms

Line 767:   C30: File  (R--)   C:\Users\Venus\NTUSER.DAT{7d5ec63a-c5bc-11dc-a02b-0019bbe6a65a}.TM.blf

Line 782:   C78: File  (R--)   C:\Users\Venus\NTUSER.DAT{7d5ec63a-c5bc-11dc-a02b-0019bbe6a65a}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms

--------------------------------

I have a little confuse about the issue:

1. Where the handle file generated, Windows 2008 TS or workstations (Windows 7).
    2. If the issue happened on Windows 2008 TS, not sure we rename profile on Windows XP and Windows 7.

Actually, to temporarily fix the issue, you can check the profile SDI under the following registry entry on Windows 2008 TS:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ ProfileList

If there are duoble SID like SID and SID.bak, check the the value for ProfileImagePath, keep the right one SID. For example, if SID.bak point to C:\Users\Temp while SID point to C:\Users\Venus, delete SID.bak.

Anyway, we may need to find which application/process hold the profile.

Thanks.

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:06 AM
  • This was generated on the TS in question, server 2008.

I thought we verified that the system process is holding the file.  

And I don't want a temporary fix.  My temporary fix is to restart the server.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Please let us know if clean boot on the Windows 2008 fix the issue:

a)   Click Start>>Run, type msconfig, press Enter.

b)   In the System Configuration Utility window, click services tab, select the “Hide all Microsoft Services” check box, and then uncheck the check box of the services which are listed in the window. Click Disable All button.

c)   On the startup tab, click the disable all button, and then restart the server.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:43 AM
  • I have uploaded a new file.  I have performed a clean boot with the exception of the flexnet service which provides licensing for Adobe volume products.  This time the users with the problem were Liz, IM, and AE.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Checked the log and found the PID still point to System. To fix the issue, we may have to gather more information such as network monitor trace or dump file. I am afraid that your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support.  Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:08 AM
  • I opened a case with email support.  For the benefit of everyone having this problem I will post a hotfix that helped alot.  Still not sure if the problem has completely been solved.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2065362

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

I had this problem with two servers.

What I did to solve the problem:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\

RegistrySizeLimit (DWORD) – Decimal (234217728)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

SessionPoolSize (DWORD) – Decimal (64)

SessionViewSize (DWORD) – Decimal (104)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService

LogoffTimeout (DWORD) – Decimal (120)

Well, I ran this procedure six months ago and the two servers are functioning without problems since then.

Good Luck !!

Paul Haro - Microsoft Certified Professional
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Haro Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:00 PM
    • Edited by Paul Haro Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:02 PM erro
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Paul, if the entires do not exist, create them right? I had to create the first and the last.

Thanks for the tip.  The problem has come back with a vengeance.  Funny how I didn't get this tip from Microsoft PSS.  Where did you find it?

Friday, August 19, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Supermig,

In my case, the servers had these entries. i just increased the value (RegistrySizeLimit) from (134217728) to (234217728)

I have one WS2008 Standard 64-bits SP1 and one WS2008 Enterprise R2 64-bits SP1.

Searching by the Event ID, I found this problem happening with WS2003 and some articles talking about the Registry Size Limit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124594

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292726

Well, six months ago I was living in the Hell because this problem occured every two days affecting more than 100 users.

When did you create this entries ? Please, follow the server behavior and let me know about it.

Excuse me for possible errors on English Grammar. I live in Brazil.

Thanks.

Paul Haro (MSN: pharo78@msn.com)

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Well the problem has been happening again so I stated a case with Microsoft PSS phone support.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

I had this problem with two servers.

What I did to solve the problem:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\

RegistrySizeLimit (DWORD) – Decimal (234217728)

SessionPoolSize (DWORD) – Decimal (64)

SessionViewSize (DWORD) – Decimal (104)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService

LogoffTimeout (DWORD) – Decimal (120)

Well, I ran this procedure six months ago and the two servers are functioning without problems since then.

Good Luck !!

This worked for me.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hello,

I reached this post finding a solution to a similar issue, with W2K8 R2 SP1, where the users couldn't logon with the message on the welcome screen that the user profile service coould not log them.

Users within the Admin group were able to logon but with a temporal profile. This temporal profile folders are located on %windir%\system32\config\systemprofile

I've found the solution to my issue on this post:

https://serverfault.com/questions/568061/2008-r2-terminal-server-insufficient-system-resources-exist-to-complete-the-re

Where it directed me to : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2871131/the-size-of-the-hkey-users-.default-registry-hive-continuously-increases-on-a-windows-server-based-server

and to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2498915/how-to-compress-bloated-registry-hives

I've confirmed that my server presented the problem in the last link

At the end the solution was to boot from an W2K12 R2 DVD (this is a VmWare environment). Rename %windir%\system32\config\DEFAULT, and then retore the DEFAULT file from %windir%\system32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT, which was one month old but less than half the size of the original DEFAULT file.

This copy allowed me to properly logon the server, still with temp profile but at least it searches the profile folder on c:\Users\<user>

With that I deleted the profiles on the registry, with the .bak extension (mine was one of them), after that everything went back to normal.

After that I used the tool on the link I provided to compress the registry hive. And since then I have no problems again.

Regards

Monday, May 8, 2017 11:04 PM