none
Unable to integrate Azure RMS Connector with SharePoint 2013 (Running on Windows Server 2008 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Fellows,

I am following below article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn375964.aspx

I have successfully deployed the RMS connector server.

I have SharePoint 2013 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and trying to enabled IRM.

When I try to set the RMS Connector URL I get below error.

"The required Active Directory Rights Management Service Client (MSIPC.DLL) is present but could not be configured properly. IRM will not work until the client is configured properly"

The below article mentions that MSIPC.DLL must be 1.0.6xxx or later but I am not able to find any 'Rights Management Service Client 2.1' which has this version of DLL. I have downloaded client from link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38396 (published on 10/5/2015) multiple times but after installation the  \Program Files\Active Directory Rights Management Services Client 2.1\MSIPC.DLL version still shows 1.0.19xxx

I have also verified below:

1. Registry Entries are done properly on SharePoint FE and Central Admin Portal Servers

2. SharePoint is able to reach the RMS Connector Server and service URLs withouth any issue.

3. RSA Key length update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2627273 has been applied for Windows Server 2008 R2

4. SharePoint FE and Central-Administration-Portal Servers have been added in RMS Connect Admin Tool

5. SharePoint Admin (Farm Admin) have been added in RMS Connect Admin Tool

6. SharePoint Admin has been given permissions on all ASMX files under Licensing/Certification virtual directories on RMS connector.

7. IE proxy is disabled

8. RMS Connector URL is part of intranet URLs list

9. Run RMS Analyzer tool on RMS Connector Server (as RMS Admin) and all shows green

10. Run RMS Analyzer tool on SharePoint Server (as Service Account) and all shows green.

11. No event on SharePoint or RMS Connector Server

12. No Windows Firewall enabled or Antivirus solution blocking any communication between SharePoint and Azure RMS Connector Server

What else I am missing? and where on earth to find the 'Rights Management Service Client 2.1' which can give me MSIPC.DLL 1.0.6xxx?

Regards.

J.A

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• The issue with the client version seems to be a very recent problem that we're looking into and temporarily we've removed the link in the documentation that used to install the correct version of the client, but no longer does.  Please contact AskIPTeam@Microsoft.com and they will help you with this while we sort this out.

Sunday, November 15, 2015 5:12 PM
  • Thank you so much Carol for the guidance. This issue was strange and now makes sense after you described what's going on.

I have submitted the question to AskIPTeam@microsoft.com and waiting for their response.

Will update here as soon as there is a progress.

J.A

Monday, November 16, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

i have the same issue. After install the newest version of Rights Management Service Client 2.1 the MSIPC.DLL version is 1.0.10908.0.

Do you have any updates to solve that problem?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi Carol,

I sent and email (+reminders) to AskIPTeam@microsoft.com but getting no response.

This is strange and leaving partners and clients like us in Limbo. Can you help in any way to escalate the issue internally and get the response for us?

I doubt that opening a Microsoft case would be of any help in this situation when the MSIPC version is not published by Microsoft itself.

Regards.

J.A

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Welcome to the club dear. Please try to contact AskIPTeam@microsoft.com as guided by Carol above. If you get the response, please post here so we can be also benefited :)

J.A

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

i have got the following answer in the Yammer RMS Group.

This is a known issue documented in the RMS Connector pages. The latest version of MSIPC.DLL has an issue with the RMS connector, so you need to install an older version. Please open a support case so the support engineer can provide you with an older version of MSIPC.DLL that doesn't present this issue. We are working on a fix to solve this problem in a new version of MSIPC, but in the meantime any version in the range documented in the RMS Connector documentation will do.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:36 AM
  • I just came across this error message as well. Weird thing: I implemented it using msipc.dll version 1.0.1908.0 on our staging system and everything went well. Now I am trying to do the same on our production farm but receive the error you reported above.

I must admit, though, that on the first try in production I forgot to configure the appropriate SharePoint service accounts of production farm in Azure RMS Connector administraton tool. I don't know whether this might be a clue... Until I found this thread, I was assuming that because of the missing authorization on the first try, there are now some "broken" registry settings. But I have checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSIPC\ServiceLocation\LicensingRedirection and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSIPC\ServiceLocation\EnterpriseCertification and they are exactly the same as in my staging farm.

Please share your information when you receive a reply from AskIPTeam@microsoft.com!

Monday, December 7, 2015 10:43 AM
  • Hi All.

I had to open a case.

I got multiple packages of older versions for Azure RMS Client 2.1 from Microsoft.

So i replaced the existing/latest version with older version 1.0.622.5 on SharePoint Servers. and it worked like a charm.

Regards.

J.A

Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:50 AM
  • There's a new version in the works to fix this ... so for other people, if you can wait another couple of days, installing the latest version of the client is obviously the better option. I'll update this thread when it's available, as well as put the download link back into the documentation.
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:21 PM
  • In my case the problem disappeared the next day. I assume the missing authorization during my first try was cached somewhere (compare my post above from 7th Dec) - not sure where exactly, though. So, now I connected SharePoint to Azure RMS via Azure RMS Connector service successfully.
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:37 PM
  • The new client (version 1.0.2004.0) that fixes this reported problem is now on the Download Center: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38396

The documentation is also updated: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn375964.aspx#BKMK_ConfiguringSharePoint

• Marked as answer by JunaidAhmedpk Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:25 PM
  • Thanks a lot Carol. Appreciated.

J.A

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:18 AM