none
Storage spaces direct - virtual disk degraded RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! We have s2d cluster with 4 nodes. After install security updates on one node and reboot it node - one off virtual disk was degraded operational status. 

All physycal disks is Healthy. s2d pool is Healthy too -  no errors and warnings

Get-StorageSubSystem cluster* | Debug-StorageSubSystem - not errors and warnings.

We have only suspended storagejob:

Name   IsBackgroundTask ElapsedTime JobState  PercentComplete BytesProcessed BytesTotal 
    ----   ---------------- ----------- --------  --------------- -------------- ---------- 
    Repair False            00:00:00    Exception 100                                       
    Repair True             11.07:13:46 Suspended 0               0              1288490188

And try to repair volume finished with error:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-VirtualDisk volume2_parity | Repair-VirtualDisk -Verbose
    Repair-VirtualDisk : Not enough available capacity
    Activity ID: {bcad56ad-13e5-4be1-8ba2-a5bee2b9552b}
    At line:1 char:34
    + Get-VirtualDisk volume2_parity | Repair-VirtualDisk -Verbose
    +                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_VirtualDisk) [Repair-VirtualDisk], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 40000,Repair-VirtualDisk

Please help me solve the problem

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Would you mind please post a screenshot for this powershell commands result? We can realize the detached reason of the VD so that we can find more clue.

Get-VirtualDisk | Select-Object FriendlyName,HealthStatus, OperationalStatus, DetachedReason

Meanwhile, the error showed "Repair-VirtualDisk : Not enough available capacity", it seems there's not enough space on this node. Please check if there's enough physical capacity in the physical disk of the nodes. Or we can try to add a new physical disk for this node to see if it works.

Reference link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/2c4c3582-5cdf-4d6b-a192-9276b34799e4/remove-physicaldisk-from-storage-pool-without-replacement?forum=winserverfiles

Extended information:
    The storage pool does not have sufficient capacity to relocate data from the specified physical disks.

Recommended Actions:
    - Add more physical disks to the storage pool.
    - Free capacity by deleting unneeded virtual disks.

Furthermore, please check if there's error message in the event viewer regarding Storage Space Direct so that we can find more clue about your issue.

Applications and Services logs > Microsoft > Windows > StorageSpaces 

In addition, here's a similar situation like yours for your reference, hope this helps.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/9ae8fd65-046b-452e-8ebf-924d9df98168/cannot-repair-virtual-disk-in-ss-pool?forum=winserverfiles 

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michae

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? 

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi! Now my issue not resolved.

Would you mind please post a screenshot for this powershell commands result?

Extended information:
    The storage pool does not have sufficient capacity to relocate data from the specified physical disks.

My storage pool have 23.8 Tb Free space and for repair degraded volume2_parity needs only 16 Tb.

Furthermore, please check if there's error message in the event viewer regarding Storage Space Direct so that we can find more clue about your issue.

I'm not found error messages regarding Storage Space Direct

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:03 PM
  • Hi! Now my issue is resolved - i think after i'm delete virtual disk and added free space to the storage pool.
    Friday, November 8, 2019 11:40 AM
  • HI,

I'm glad that your issue was resolved!

Thanks for your sharing as it would be very helpful to others who encounters a similar situation.

Thanks for your support and time. 

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael 

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:46 AM