none
Issues with August 2018 cumulative update for Windows 10 (Home, 1803, 64bit) RRS feed

• Question

• This update sat forever "pending download" so I used the link in its KB ref (4343909) to download the offline installer from Update Catalogue. The substantial download installed OK but is shown in update history as "Security Update for Windows (KB4343909)". And the August 2018 cumulative update is still pending download.

Does anyone know if the KB4343909 download really is the cumulative update or has Microsoft quoted the wrong KB ref.

Also the main reason for this post. The KB4343909 update has changed something in file sharing. Having updated just one machine I find that the others on my network can no longer access it. All attempts result in a credentials error (wrong username or password). File sharing is not totally broken as the updated PC can still access all the others. Before anyone asks, before that update it worked perfectly both ways and absolutely no other changes have been made to the network or any other PC.

Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:40 PM

All replies

• This update sat forever "pending download" so I used the link in its KB ref (4343909) to download the offline installer from Update Catalogue. The substantial download installed OK but is shown in update history as "Security Update for Windows (KB4343909)". And the August 2018 cumulative update is still pending download.

Does anyone know if the KB4343909 download really is the cumulative update or has Microsoft quoted the wrong KB ref.

Yes, KB4343909 download is the Cumulative Update.  When updating manually, the history doesn't provide as much detail as when the update is performed through Windows Update.  This is normal behavior.
    Sunday, August 19, 2018 12:44 PM

Yes, KB4343909 download is the Cumulative Update.  When updating manually, the history doesn't provide as much detail as when the update is performed through Windows Update.  This is normal behavior.

Thanks for the clarification.

An update on the credentials error I also posted. I found the problem goes away if I connect by IP address instead of computer name (after adding it to credentials manager). Added mapping of the IP address to Hosts for convenience. Note that there was no problem using the same computer name, username and password before this update. Just another of Windows little mysteries.

Sunday, August 19, 2018 10:01 PM
  • @misar1946, your troubleshooting thread is correct, if we cannot access to another PC via computer name, using IP address is a good way, add network location is effective.

Besides, I suggest to untick TCP/IPv6 protocol in network properties.

Run Share Folder troubleshooter to diagnose potential issue.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 20, 2018 6:32 AM