none
A new blank word doc always opens in compatibility mode office 2013

Question

• Hello

Background

I had windows 7 upgraded to windows 8 and office 2010 upgraded to 2013

The suggested solution below does not work or is not applicable to the above set-up, I am unable to find "Normal.dotm" the template can anyone help?

• Using the File > Open command, locate the Normal.dotm template and open it. Go to File > Info and click the Convert button. Save and close Normal.dotm.
    • If you don't have a lot of customizations in the existing Normal.dotm, shut down Word, go to the Templates folder (usually %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates), and rename or delete Normal.dotm. Restart Word, which will initially use the internal defaults for all styles etc. When you make some change that needs to be stored in Normal.dotm, Word will create a new file. That will be in 2013 format.

Monday, February 04, 2013 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Windows 8, you may use Win+R to open the Run dialog box. Copy the %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates into the box and then click OK to open the folder. You will see a file namely "Normal". You can rename it and then open the Word in compatibility mode to see if it can be helpful.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Many thanks Rex

The first thing that I had to do was uninstall office 2010 as the upgrade to 2013 did not do this (the system did not like having both versions installed.

Once 2010 was uninstalled your solution worked a treat.

Thanks again

Mark

• Marked as answer by frustrated197 Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:37 AM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows 8, you may use Win+R to open the Run dialog box. Copy the %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates into the box and then click OK to open the folder. You will see a file namely "Normal". You can rename it and then open the Word in compatibility mode to see if it can be helpful.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Many thanks Rex

The first thing that I had to do was uninstall office 2010 as the upgrade to 2013 did not do this (the system did not like having both versions installed.

Once 2010 was uninstalled your solution worked a treat.

Thanks again

Mark

• Marked as answer by frustrated197 Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:37 AM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:20 PM