none
Outlook 2010 during compose message search all address lists RRS feed

• Question

• Each member of a group of users has their own mailbox but we have a separate mailbox for shared contacts for the group so that they can have a common shared address list. This is set as the one that appears first when composing a message in Address Book/Tools/Options. However, we want to have Outlook search the specified common address list first then, if the contact isn't found, search all other address lists, including the GAL. It seems that Outlook searches the address list specified to appear first and then doesn't search further. Even setting the option to custom so that it searches address list in a specified order appears not to work. I have tried setting File/Options/Search/Results to All Folders to no avail.

Am I missing something or is the functionality I need not supported ?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:21 AM

Answers

• If a match is found in the first mailbox it searches, it stops searching when it reaches the end of that folder. If a match is not found, it works down the list until it finds a match. This is one reason I don't recommend using a lot of contact folders but in your situation, you can't really avoid it.

For example, if you search for bob and have bob smith and bob jones in the one address list, it finds both. If they are in separate lists, it finds only the one in the first list searched.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:44 PM