none
Office VBA controls transparacy not working since October 2016 office update RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that the latest Office update (Version 1609 (Build 7369.2024)) released in September or October has made it impossible (without using windows APIs) to switch some VBA userform control backstyles to transparent (i.e. labels/ checkboxes/ option buttons etc.)

This problem relates to Excel and Word as a minimum as that is all I have tested but would guess the same goes for all office VBA applications.

Now - as you might imagine, this has put me in a bit of a pickle as I use transparent labels etc. throughout my applications and as a result, forms now look at best awful and at worst simply do not work.

Has anyone got a fix or any further information on this?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

Based on your description, I tested this problem in the same environment as yours and I got the same problem.

It seemed that this problem is related to the latest version of Excel.

I tested in previous version Excel 2016 (16.0.6965.2092), I didn't get this problem as shown in the following figure.

If possible you can downgrade to the pervious version of Excel.

If you need more help please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Hi Emi
    Thanks for your response
    Although I could revert to the older version of Excel, this does not really help moving forward as I have clients (including MS) that use my software who are unlikely to revert to old versions of Excel because I ask them too.

This is a serious problem for me and my business.

Can you please confirm if this will be fixed by MS as it is clearly a bug rather than a 'quirk' and if it is to be fixed, when?

Thanks 

Nick

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Hi Nick,

You've mentioned that your Excel version was the same as mine(Ashidacchi) and that you could not reproduce the issue as Luca Brasi had.
     >> No more transparent labels on VBA userforms?
           (a thread by Luca Brasi)

my Excel version is:

I've just tried to update now, and found it the latest.

I'm afraid your Offce/Excel is not the latest.
    Which way did you install Office?  by "MSI" or "C2R"? 
      Determining your Office version – MSI vs. C2R

Best regards,
    Ashidacchi
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:30 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi Ashidacchi

On your latest version, can you confirm if you are able to turn vba userform label control backstyle to transparant and that once this is done, they are indeed transparant?

After I sent the reply the other day on the other day, I updated to what was then the latest version - and I then had this problem on my computer.

MS have clearly issued a new version in the past 2 days, and once again I am updating as I type this reply.

I have clients that work for Microsoft that are still suffering with this problem and I would guess they are up to date with updates.

Thanks

Nick

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:46 AM
  • My office/ Excel installation is now up to date again i.e. 1609 (Build 7369.2038)

I can confirm that the problem STILL EXISTS.

Can someone please advise if/ when this will be fixed?

Thanks

Nick

Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Hi Nick,

I've just experienced an unbelievable phenomenon.
    It was sure that backstyle of a Label on Userform could be interchanged  from opaque to transparent, vice versa.

Now, it could NOT.

Anything I noticed between few days ago and now:

1.  Displayed language could not be changed.
           I'd installed English language-pack (my native is Japanese), 
           and I'd been able to interchange Japanese - English.
           But two days ago, it could not be: option "English" disappeared.

The same issue appeared in Visual Studio 2015.
           (Visual Studio 2013 and Office/Excel 2010-2013 is OK: 
            option "English" appears normally and I can select "English")

2.  A few hours ago, I've tried to upgrade of Office 2016 to the latest version,
           for checking if the latest would be available, and it said mine is up-to-date.

Now, I cannot have belief on some MS applications.

I will share my sample, made on 2016/10/17 (August 17th).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8c7aoz5xxzp0yw/Excel_UserForm_Label_Transparent.xlsm?dl=0
    Sorry my poor English...

Best Regards,
    Ashidacchi

Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:22 PM
  • There is something very odd going on at the moment!

This issue with transparant labels not working is killing my business as it is making some of the forms I use useless.

Someone from Microsoft.... please answer this.!

Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Hi

I got the same issue, However, the issue is not only in transparency, it is also in Zorder

O have controls over each other that change Zorder, are not showing

Basically the rendering got messed, transparency + Zorder

Having a lot of users using the tool, I wasted two days until I realized I have to tell users to roll back the version until it got fixed.

So I send an email for instructions, basically running the command below

After testing the release below was the latest one that worked fine, any release after that has the bug

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7167.2047

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Yes - I am just realising that - It looks like the whole 'control' situation has changed in the latest release.  Whereas labels, option buttons etc never used to have their own window/ handle, now they do...

Labels can now 'overlap' frames which they never used to be able to also.....

Anyway - as each control now has its own handle, means that you can actually the set transparency of control backgrounds using the API SetLayeredWindowAttributes.

I am guessing you can probably also set ZOrder using API's but my god, this seems like it should be unnecessary...

Further, I have not worked out a way of finding which control relates to which handle yet....

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:52 PM
  • MICROSOFT????  Anyone got an answer to this????
    Friday, October 14, 2016 6:19 AM
  • "If possible you can downgrade to the pervious version of Excel."

Is that the best you can do? That is hardly an option, if the VB project is distributed to other users.

- Jon

Friday, October 14, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Hi folks,

I've reported this issue to the engineering team for investigation. Will keep you posted.

Friday, October 14, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Nick, Ashidacchi and Anmars,
    Could you advise what version of Windows 10 you're using. Just trying to get a feel if this is really an Excel or Windows issue, or possibly both. 

Reason for asking is we've had a handful of similar reports and the common factor is Windows Enterprise. Other Win10 + 2016 users are not (yet) affected, though it might just be a matter of time as updates are rolled out.

As ANmars mentioned position orders are wrong and can't be corrected with ZOrder, and one or two other oddities such as controls apparently disappearing even though all positions and dimensions debug as expected.

Friday, October 14, 2016 6:59 PM
  • I have Version 1609 (Build 7369.2038) with the same or similar problem, which started with this Office Upgrade.

ActiveX controls are transparent only if [Developer][Design Mode] is "on". Turning it off (which is the normal running mode) makes the control opaque and vice versa. (Evidently, I am not alone in using the underlying cell to show through a transparent control.) Nice when it worked. Hope to have that capability back.

In the meantime, I wrote a VBA script to make the controls opaque, to pick up the underlying "color" and text. But fonts, sizes, text placement, etc. within the controls are different from the underlying cell(s), and that is a problem.

Cheers and good bug hunting.

Added: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798) was installed on 12 Oct 2016. Update to Office occurred on or within 1 day of the Windows update.

• Edited by ScottDoubet Sunday, October 16, 2016 7:24 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 6:32 PM
  • I can confirm this behavior and in my opinion this is a bug that needs fixing really quick!

Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse|Excel MVP|http://www.jkp-ads.com

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:08 AM
  • Hi Emi,

Can you please escalate this to the team, this is a serious bug which is destroying peoples business.

Monday, October 17, 2016 3:39 PM
  • On a Windows 10 box (with current updates):

"Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199209)"

"Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798)"

Older Office 365 version: 1607 (Build 7167.2060).

The transparency problem DOES NOT appear, even when loaded with a spreadsheet created from the newer Office 365 update, 1609 (Build 7369.2038).

After updating to Office Version 1609 (Build 7369.2038), the transparency problem appears.

Verdict: Office update is the culprit.

Monday, October 17, 2016 8:56 PM
  • Thank you Anneliese, much appreciated.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:36 AM
  • I can confirm this issue seen on ...

Office 365 64bit version 16.0.7369.2024 on Win10, once downgraded to 16.0.7167.2047, everything seams back to normal

Also on ...

Office 365 32bit version 16.0.7369.2038 on Win7

And now I cannot downgrade it on one of the machines

• Edited by ANmars Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:14 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:37 PM
  • Same issue with me, z order of labels on forms has been messed up, and seems unfixable

For me it was working fine yesterday (18th) today not working (19th)

I suspect the culprit might be the Windows 10 Version 1607 update (KB3199209), that as installed when I shut down yesterday.

FYI My version of Office is 1609 (Build 7369.2038)

-Steve

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Peter, not sure if you did get my latest reply or not, but I have Win10+Office365 that has that issue too, was able to revert updates there and not seeing issue anymore
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 2:27 PM
  • As suggested by others I reverted to an earlier version of Office 365.

Info and links to versions available here: https://www.msoutlook.info/question/784

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun>OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7167.2060

Downgrade (or revert) worked for me. It fixed the transparency issue.

Now we wait until Office is "fixed"???? OR what?

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:21 PM
  • ANmars and Scott,

When I first asked the common factor from users I was aware of appeared to be Windows 10 Enterprise, which was why I asked. But since then I now know that's not right, even Windows 7 + Office 365 is affected.

I have distinct 32 & 64 Win-10 systems (not Enterprise) with multiple versions of Office 32/64, but not Office 365. So far I am still not affected in any way.

From the reports here it seems only Office 365 (2016) is affected, except Nick contacted me off-line and thinks (but not sure) not all his affected users have 365. So after all that nothing inconclusive!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Having exact same issue, same build 2038 transparency gone, forms are all messed up, my clients are confused.  This is awful, Microsoft I hope you fix this quickly as you are costing us our livelihood.

Thank you

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Hi everyone,

The team has checked in a fix for the BackStyle/transparency issue. They've also fixed (or are in the progress of fixing) several other forms-related issues that occurred after recent Office updates. When these fixes get released, I'll come back to this thread and let you know.

Anneliese

Friday, October 21, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Hello,

the same issue with Windows 10 and KB3199209, this time with Office 2010. It seems to me the KB3199209 messed up something in VBA.

Restoring Windows to Restore Point prior to 18.10.2016 solved the issue. So, "uninstalling the KB" helps.

Regards, Matjaz

Saturday, October 22, 2016 8:51 AM
  • I would appreciate a quick fix to this issue. This is costing my company a great deal of time and money to fix.  Ever since Excel 2013 was released, there have been so many issues with VBA.  Our application (which runs in Excel) is used around the world by food companies and universities to formulate new foods, run food manufacturing processes, and develop nutrition facts labels. This means several thousand organizations must use Excel because of my application. Releasing updates that make Excel unusable is bad for everyone? It may seem like an inconvenience to you but when a key user interface is no longer functional because a label that was added as border in the back is now a solids grey box in the front is a big deal to us.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 4:45 PM
  • I'm having severe problems due to this issue. My setup is

Excel 2016, Version 1609, Build 7369.2038, NOT Office 365

Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1607, Build 14393.321

- Jon

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:38 PM
  • I have Office 365, Windows 8, and had the exact same problem. Solved it by restoring the computer back to a point before the office update. After restoring I stopped automatic updating of Office to avoid re-installation of update.

Fortunately, it worked perfectly for me. 

Annabel

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Hi Annabel

My problem started about this time last week - same build 16.0.7369.2038

I obviously tried to rectify by 'restoring to nearest point before update that caused this.

Went ok and everything returned to normal for the day until I switched off.

Next day not so lucky and my restore point had 'disappeared'.

I contacted MS 'chat' and unfortunately they gave up after 2 hours advising that I move up to 64 bit

Did so this morning but, no...still problems with 64 bit, too...

Am about to bother MS 'chat' and see what they have to say...they surely should have done something, by now...

Dave

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Hi Anneliese,

Would the October Insider Slow update for Office 2016 for Office 365 Version 1610 (Build 7466.2017) by any chance fix this Excel VBA controls transparency bug in build 1609 (Build 7369.2038)?

Lance

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:12 PM
  • No, Lance. I'm afraid not, since the series of form-related issues occur in both Version 1609 (Current Channel & First Release for Deferred Channel) and Version 1610 (Office Insider Slow a.k.a. First Release for Current Channel). Office Insiders on most recent Fast build are also affected. Office 2016 MSI users are not affected, nor are commercial users on Deferred Channel.

Here is the latest information from the Office team on exactly who is affected and which versions you'd need to revert to in order to unblock: VBA forms are not working as expected

We'll update this article as soon as the update with the fix starts rolling out, and I'll also return to this thread to let you know!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:30 PM
  • As bad as the problem is, it is not irreparable.

I created frames and, to the extent that I could (and I could for just about everything in some very complex forms), slid all my labels and text boxes into the frames. I assumed nothing could be transparent anymore. Making the frames visible and invisible as appropriate, and changing their locations via VBA as appropriate, worked, however.

To the extent that I had used a transparent label for the purpose of providing a separator box, the frame did the same thing and I am sure was a better programming decision.

I assumed nothing else 'transparent' could be that any more. What wasn't in a frame I re-did accordingly. (It was easy to identify these object because, well, they weren't transparent anymore, and everything looked like crap.)

It only took 10 to 15 minutes per form to modify. My most complicated ones took 25 to 30. I sent the corrected version of the .dotm file to all users and none have complained since. If and when MS corrects this, I won't have to do anything else (and likely have a better structured group of forms to boot).

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:12 PM
  • My customer is accessing a public Spreadsheet Macros oriented tool which does not launch with the latest Built either.

Not only does it freeze up but it also Hugs about 20% of his CPU usage with 67mbs of RAM.

It is definitely a hiccup has any one gotten a fix for this?

Current Channel: Version 1609 (Build 7369.2038), released on October 11, 2016 (This one did not fix anything it carried the same issue over)

Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:11 AM
  • I suspect it's all related, Mario. If the macro-enabled file (whether that's a workbook, Word template, etc.) that your customer is using contains form controls that are configured a certain way, the app may stop responding.

A bit more about the symptoms:

• If you develop custom forms, you may notice that transparent label controls appear opaque instead of transparent, or that Office stops responding when you set the Cycle property for a MultiPage control to 2-fmCycleCurrentForm. (There are other symptoms, but these are the two that are reported most often.)

• If you use custom forms as part of your day-to-day work, you may notice that these forms no longer appear or work as expected. In some cases, your Office app may stop responding when you attempt to open a macro-enabled file containing form controls.

See this for the latest: Known issue with VBA forms in September feature update

In any case, we have the fixes in and will start rolling them out soon. (I don't have exact dates, unfortunately.)

Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Im the developer of WinCalendar and Paymee - both Excel addins.  

This issue has broken many features and led to many customer complaints.  It also effects the VBA multipage / tabstrip control. Container contents are not always displayed (i suspect it is a related zorder issue).

I hope Microsoft fixes quickly.  Such issues make me question whether we should continue to use MS Office as a platform.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:24 PM
  • Hi anneliese, I was hoping you can help. I work with a macro enabled .dotm file which creates a toolbar addin to Microsoft word. There is a digital certificate on it that is valid and randomly within the last week or so we have a lot of uses reporting the buttons (using forms) on the toolbar are not responsive. It's not all customers and isn't just 2016 users. We have found a work around to mark the location of the .dotm as a trusted location which seems to work. Is this issue related? Thank you in advance Danielle
    Friday, October 28, 2016 12:36 AM
  • I'm experiencing Excel going unresponsive when I open [some] Excel files with macros.  After hours of problem solving, I identified the problem with the userform controls' backstyle described here, which led me to this discussion. 

On my system, the problem first emerged only this week, even though the most recent update on my system was the October 18 update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 systems [KB3199209].  I'm using Excel 2016.  I tried shifting my Excel file to a tablet I use with Excel 2007, and in that setting, the test file works fine [for now].

I updated to Windows 10 Version 1607 [KB3199986] a moment ago.  This did NOT fix the problem.

Like others, I hope Microsoft is prioritizing the development of a quick solution since this bug is provoking a serious problem in our business.  I hope too, in the future, Microsoft will do enough testing before rolling out revisions to avoid this level of bugginess. 

Friday, October 28, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Hi Anneliese
    Can you please give an indication of when this will be fixed?  I sit here patiently every day wondering if I will have any customers left by the time MS sort this out and still we remain without any indication of when it will be resolved.
    I have read your posts that the issue has been 'fixed' and that you do not have 'exact dates' when it will be rolled our but can you at least indicate whether it will be today/ this week/ this month/ this year?  
    My company has a trade exhibition in 2 weeks time to display our software that no longer works on many of our customer's machines and I cannot tell you how much I am now looking forward to that, given that we have invested a significant amount of money preparing for it.
    What I cannot understand is that you continue to push out this update in full knowledge that there are significant impacts upon many of your customers around the world. Why can the roll out not be recalled, as was the last rubbish update??
    What other company/ organisation would be allowed to get away with what you are doing?
    Arrogant beyond belief.

Nick

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Anneliese,

Could you give us some sort of time frame on when the fix should be ready?

Thanks,

Lance

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:15 PM
  • Haleine, can you please confirm for me exactly which version of Office you are running? You can find it by opening an Office app and clicking File > Feedback, and then looking at the version information next to the Update Options button. (If you don't see the Update Options button, try File > Feedback > About <app>.)

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Nick, with any luck, you should see it today. Office Insider Fast users should already have the fix. Everyone else should get it today, with one exception (those on Office Insider Slow bits). I need to confirm a couple of things related to build numbers and timing, but I'll be back later with more information. Do note that you'll need to pull the new update manually via File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Ok thanks for getting back to me - I just checked now and it's not there yet so will keep trying the update through the rest of today/ tomorrow and come back to the thread when it is available with confirmation of fix.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Sounds good, Nick!
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 6:49 PM
  • My laptop is running Office 1609 Current Channel, Version 1609 [Build 7369.2038].

My tablet, where my Excel is still running without the bug, is running Office 2007 [12.0.4518.1014].

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:51 AM
  • <Edited to include links to updated documentation>

Hi everyone -

First, thank you for your patience here, everyone. I know that these issues have been frustrating, to put it mildly.

I do have some good news for you, at last. We have officially released the update to Version 1609 that contains a fix for the form control issues. The build number you are looking for is Version 1609 (Build 7369.2054) or 16.0.7369.2054. (Subscribers see the former; perpetual users see the latter. Same bits, so no worries there.)

To install the update manually, click File > Account > Update Options > Update Now. If Office says you're up-to-date, just try back in a few hours, as it can sometimes take a while for the new bits to replicate across servers. 

If you are signed up to get Office Insider Slow builds, which are the same builds as those on First Release for Current Channel receive, you are likely on Version 1610 (7466.xxxx), which also contained the VBA UserForm bugs. We'll release a fix for Version 1610 soon.

Here are links to updated articles:

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Hi Anneliese

It's working again!!  Thanks for help

Thanks

Nick

• Edited by Nick Halksworth Friday, November 4, 2016 8:58 AM Now working....
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Today: updated to Office 1609 Build 7369.2054). Cleared up the problems I reported. Thanks for keeping in contact.

Cheers

Scott Doubet

Friday, November 4, 2016 12:58 AM
  • HI Anneliese

On further inspection of this update - there appears still to be a problem with zorder of controls on userforms
    E.g. - if a frame (fr1) is added to a userform, and then another frame (fr2) is added to the same userform, the zorder of the 2 frames cannot be changed. i.e. frame fr1 will always be behind fr2 regardless of what you do with zorder....

Strangely however, if you set the zorder of (fr1) to front, although the frame itself remains behind the other frame, any controls placed on it appear in front of the caption of fr2.

There has always been a (slight) problem with frame zorders - however - there appears to be a bigger problem now!!

Thanks

Nick

Monday, November 7, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Thank you to EVERYONE who posted about this GLARING issue.

Your persistence SAVED me today.

I have an interview - TODAY - and assumed Microsoft wouldn't do anything to F with my glorious work.

Because of your persistence, I was able to get my code in working order.

I owe you a HUGE debt of GRATITUDE!

Thank you.

Monday, November 7, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Thanks, Nick. I will take this back to the team!
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Hi Anneliese

I'm facing the same issue as reported above by Nick (zorder of frames) in some of the userforms in use by clients.

In addition to that there seems to be an issue when removing a frame by code. The controls that were covered by the deleted frame are not properly refreshed. It helps if I call the Repaint method of the userform. However, this leads to flickering on my forms. In general, it seems to me the flickering did increase quite a lot (compared to the August release) on forms containing many controls (frames).

I understand that these issues are less important than the problem reported originally in this thread and I can work around them for sure (but will have to deploy updates of my tools to the clients). I just wanted to share my findings with you in case it helps the team to improve a next Office update.

Cheers, Luca

• Edited by Luca Brasi Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:03 AM
  • It's Tuesday, Nov 8 and my program is set to auto-update. I did not receive the update automatically (I did receive the broken version automatically, however.) I had to return to this page to discover that the release came out last Friday.

(1) Why so slow?

(2) If the update is not going to be automatic (or faster), is there any way that those such as myself who participated in this discussion (and by virtue of that, are uber interested in the progress of the fix) can be automatically notified when a fix is released? (Maybe a checkbox on the page, or other kind of sign up.) 

I also checked the box that appears beneath the Submit button to be notified of responses to my post, but received no notices that way, either. (I do understand that you weren't directly responding to my post when you announced the release, but still it would have been appropriate to notify everyone who wrote on this very specific issue.)

• Edited by Roy1953 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Anneliese

I would appreciate if you could come back to this thread at the very earliest opportunity and let us know the status of this outstanding issue and estimated date when it will be resolved as, although not quite as serious as the transparency thing, the problem with frame z-orders is still extremely detrimental to the smooth operation of our software product.

Update.....

The more I go into this update, the worse it appears to be, and still far from 'fixed'.......

Is there any chance of an explanation why MS have decided (at this stage) to modify VBA in what appears to be a significant manner given that it has otherwise been relatively unchanged for a long time?  Are we going to at some point see some kind of benefit from these changes as right now it is making things unworkable - and continuing to cripple the smooth running of our business.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:06 AM
  • Due to the ongoing issues with VBA (i.e. control Z-Orders) I am once again having to downgrade MS Office versions and and ask that my clients do the same as these changes are still rendering our software application fairly redundant.  I hopefully do not need to stress just how difficult this makes things for us.

I cannot express enough my complete and utter dissatisfaction with Microsoft over this - what on earth has happened to the quality control department?  Are they all on holiday?

This is my/ our livelihood.

Nick

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

with the latest 2055 update i've got still frame z-orders problem...

Some optionbuttons are working now, but then a simple label is not visible any more.

Then i've got a calendar in a frame: half of the frame is not visible.

Our userform is unusable since October..., i need to go back to 7341.2035 again...

What went wrong so terribly by MS? No useable fix since a month...

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

still the same problems with the Version 1610 (Build 7466.2038)

Look this calendar-frame:

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi Nick, szipet, Luca and others who are facing the same issue,

Our team are still investigating the issue.

If possible, we'd like to collect some sample files from you guys so that we can validate a fix for the z-orders problem. You can share the sample files to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. (As this is a dedicated Information Collection email account we used to collect sample files from forum users, we'll appreciate it if you could involve this thread URL in the email message so that it will be easy for us to follow up on it.)

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:35 AM
  • Hi Steve

I have sent a test file with reference to this thread URL
    Any feedback would be appreciated at the earliest opportunity.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Thanks, Nick. I've passed it on to the devs and they will validate against the fix they have in place for the remaining z-order issue. Will keep you posted. 
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Anneliese

I have a feeling I may need to demonstrate the problem to you live as the test file I sent is a little too simple and actually works with the latest version afterall.  I had not tested it when I originally sent it, as it meant installing 2 x updates again on my computer which I am getting a bit sick of doing lately.  However, the problem itself still exists with the latest version so I will need to show you live.

In the meantime, I have rolled the computer back again to the pre-october version which worked without problem.

The picture sent by szipet above seems to show similar to the problems I am facing and although I can work around some of them, it is still causing lots of issues.

As asked before - can you give some explanation as to why VBA controls have been changed to such an extent in the first place? - If anything, this might at least help us (loyal MS customers) understand the bigger picture.  Is there some kind of future benefit we are going to see from this?

Thanks

Nick

Saturday, November 19, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hey Nick,

Quick update. We released the November feature update yesterday. This update fixes the issue where z-order of frames behaves incorrectly (Send to Back brings the frame forward instead, and vice versa.)

This update may fix the remaining issues described in this thread, but we only received and therefore tested against your file, so we can't be sure of that.  

If you're still seeing issues after installing Version 1611 (Build 7571.2072), can you can share a quick video of what you are seeing? Alternatively, I can set up a quick Skype call with you and our dev. Had you already tested with an early Insider build of Version 1611?

My understanding is the changes that caused all the problems here were meant to make form controls more accessible to everyone, including those with disabilities, in keeping with Microsoft Accessibility goals.

Thanks!
    Anneliese

Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Szipet, we released Version 1611 (Build 7571.2072) yesterday. Can you try updating and let me know if this problem goes away? If it doesn't, would love to get a copy of your file for our dev team. (See Steve's message below.)
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Luca, can you try updating to Version 1611? That should fix the main z-order issue. Are you still seeing the flickering and repaint issues after you update?
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Hi Anneliese

I did some quick tests and can confirm that I do not face the z-order issue anymore. Also the flickering is gone.

Thank you very much.

Cheers, Luca

• Edited by Luca Brasi Monday, December 12, 2016 8:08 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Ah, good news. Thanks for letting me know, Luca.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 4:01 AM
  • Hi Anneliese

Apologies for the delayed response!

I can confirm that all errors as I experienced are indeed now fixed.

Much obliged for your swift responses and also the information relating to why the controls had been changed int he first place.

Best regards and merry Christmas.

Nick

Nick

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:37 PM
  • So glad, Nick. Happy New Year!
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:01 PM
  • does the 1611 update work on Office 365 and is it meant to fix issues on VBA, Userform ActiveX controls?
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:38 AM
  • Hi Anneliese,

I use a VBA program at my end which use Custom forms.The program was build on MS office 2010. It works very well in MS office 2010. When I open the program in MS office 2016, the Custom Forms doesn't show up or appear properly. Many a times , when two forms are opened one after the another while a program is running, The later doesn't show up and I require to end task the Excel. This is really frustrating.

Also when I try to open that program on high end system with high resolution and high screen. It loads very slowly and it doesn't open up many times.

Kindly provide a solution ASAP as it is really hampering my work.

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:00 PM