none
apply a .prf file to update Outlook 14 profiles. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I did not get the Outlook profile right so I would like to update it after the installation of office 2010, I used the OCT to configure a prf file and then I could open it in notepad fore some tweaks. But I  have a feeling that something is not right.

I run this command and the outlook starts, but how do I check if the file get updated? Here I found an prf file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\custom14.prf but it have not been updated

outlook.exe /importprf \\server1\share\outlook.prf 

If I run this command I dont get any prompt

outlook.exe /promptimportprf \\localfolder\outlook.prf

Any Idea what can be wrong?

/SaiTech

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can apply a .prf file in several ways to update Outlook profiles.

To apply a .prf file by using the customization file

1. From the root of the network installation point, run the following command line to start the OCT: \\server\share\setup.exe /admin

2. To edit an existing .msp file, in the Select Product dialog box, click Open an existing Setup customization file. Or to create a new customization file, select the Office suite that you want to customize, and then click OK.

3. In the Outlook area, click Outlook Profile. Select Apply PRF, and then browse to the file.

4. On the File menu, click Save to save the .msp file.

5. Exit the OCT.

6. Put the .msp file in the Office installation source \Updates folder.

7. Install Office 2010 from the original installation source.

To apply a .prf file by using other options

• Specify the .prf file as a command-line option for Outlook.exe to import a .prf file without prompting the user. For example: outlook.exe /importprf \\server1\share\outlook.prf.

• Specify the .prf file as a command-line option for Outlook.exe, but prompt the user before importing the .prf file. For example: outlook.exe /promptimportprf \\localfolder\outlook.prf. If you put the specified .prf file in a shared folder on a network, the settings might not be applied if the file is not found or is not available when Outlook runs.

For more information about customize Outlook profiles by using an Outlook Profile (PRF) file, you can refer to this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx#BKMK_AppylingPRF

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Thanks for the information,

I would like to know one thins should I expect that the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\custom14.prf will change to the new settings, or wher is there importprf file stored?

/SaiTech

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Hello Saitech,

The custom14.prf file is created when you use the OCT tool to specify Outlook profile settings. This is copied during the setup process, and stays in that location and registry keys are put in so that every new user profile imports the information in the PRF.

If you change settings in the OCT related to the Outlook profile, you need to save the changes to a new customization patch, and apply the patch with the msiexec /p <path to patch> command line. Otherwise the custom14.prf will not change

Hope this helps

Tarak Chakraborty - MSFT

Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:28 PM