none
o365 lab RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have built an internet facing home lab using vmware for my studies.

I have a DC with a member server with exchange 2016 installed.

I signed up for a free trial of office 365 business and I synced my Active Directory data to my tenant using azure connect.

This all went great.

I want to use the hybrid configuration wizard to create a hybrid setup this is the ultimate goal of my lab.

The issue I have is I need a domain for this so I am going to buy myself a cheap .xyz domain and use this so that I can get my lab up and running.

I then need to add that domain as an accepted domain in the o365 portal to allow me to complete the hybrid setup.

My question is how does this all tie in with my Active Directory? My lab domain is dan.com and I can't buy this domain so if I buy dan.xyz for example it won't match my AD domain name. Would I just add dan.xyz into domains and trusts on my DC?

I hope this makes sense.

Sunday, August 25, 2019 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Refer this article. It describes reason. As you think, It's OK to add an additional UPN suffix from Domain and trust in your DC.

Then you can authenticate users by using that UPN suffix after you adding that domain name on O365.

https://www.stephenwagner.com/2018/10/16/how-to-add-an-alternative-upn-suffix-to-an-active-directory-domain/

Monday, August 26, 2019 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for visiting our forum, here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client but your question is more related to Exchange online. So I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Exchange online.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Hi Rick,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, August 30, 2019 9:28 AM