none
URI handling: initiate Lync from browser links RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am able to initiate Lync client to call or IM/Video by generating links in my web app and the URI handling/external protocol handling by the brwoser OS. for example, a link like tel:666-666-6666 ; SIP:my@email.com and im:sip:my@email.com.

This works great on PC with all browsers and Lync 2010, 2013 and skype for business.

My question: can this or a variant of this approach work on a Mac and with which Lync/Skype versions?

• Edited by csmba Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:00 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:00 PM

All replies

• Yes, using tel:+xxxxxxxxx as a hyperlink launches the Lync client and initiates a call. (Just tested it on my Macbook)

i.e. <a href="tel:+1646xxxxxxx>Call Me</a>

Clicking the hyperlink in Chrome, I did get the "External Protocol Request" dialog, which required me to accept/OK it before it would actually initiate a call.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | MVP (Skype for Business)
    Blog skype4bexpert.com | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync/Skype for Business Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:20 PM
  • Thank you.

Which version of Lync? and does it work for im:sip:my@email.com ?

Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:38 PM
  • Do you mean the Lync for Mac client version? 14.0.11 (15304) - but it also works on the older versions. There's no Skype for Business client available for Mac yet. 

im: doesn't work, it launches iMessage.

There are only 3 methods available on the Lync for Mac client:

- tel
    - conf
    - x-mspresence

There's nothing I'm aware of for just IM on Lync for Mac.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Thank you.

Yes I asked about the version of Lync, so I assume it is "Lync for Mac 2011". 

And it sounds like you can make tel: work, but im:sip:my@email.com  will launch iMessage. However, isn't that just because that is what the OS decided is the default handler for the im: protocol and that can be changed? 

I am not sure what conf is used for, my use case is to have web link encoded with the target participants so that it is easy for a user to click on the link and have Lync start a IM or Phone or Video already with the right people. Preventing the user from having to find and add them one by one.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Yes, Lync for Mac 2011.

I don't think so, because when looking at what methods are available as part of Lync 2011, there isn't one for IM:

I used this http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/ to look/determine what is available.

Monday, October 19, 2015 2:23 PM
  • I also want im: to be handled by Lync on Mac
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 5:08 AM