none
Document Management RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way you only allow authors to edit their documents in a doc lib?  I thought I saw this option somewhere but cannot locate it now (when I need it).

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tim

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

• There is such option for Lists but not for Document Libraries - at least not using the GUI. You should be able to set the property using the SharePoint object model though. The Properties you need to modify are ReadSecurity and WriteSecurity of SPList (SPDocumentLibrary inherits from SPList).

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:56 PM

All replies

• There is such option for Lists but not for Document Libraries - at least not using the GUI. You should be able to set the property using the SharePoint object model though. The Properties you need to modify are ReadSecurity and WriteSecurity of SPList (SPDocumentLibrary inherits from SPList).

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Waldek,

Thank you for taking your time in responding.  I really appreciate it.  This seems like sort of an oversite on Microsoft's part not to incorporate this level of security.

Is there any way you could direct me to a website or link that talks about how to develop your suggestion?  If you have any further comments that may help me to get closer to the solution I would greatly appreciate it.  I am making the auumption that you are talking about producing some type of C# solution that accesses the SP object model?

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Tim

Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Tim,

You are right: I've been indeed thinking in a custom .NET solution accessing the SharePoint object model. If you're beginner to SharePoint 2007 development I would recommend you the book Inside Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 by Ted Pattison: it covers the required basics and gives you an overview of the possibilities within SharePoint to develop custom solutions. In your case you could be thinking about creating a custom application page or a Web Part. If you want it to happen automatically you would develop an EventHandler instead. Developing all these items is covered in Ted Pattison's book.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Waldek,

Thank you again for your comments.  I have just ordered Ted's book.  I also signed up for his instructional course Developing Solutions for Sharepoint Server 2007.  I have watched Ted's video web-casts that he has produced in the past and have been pleased with his clairity and expertise.

Course Description:

This 4-day, 300 level, Instructor-led, Hands-on Lab course explores the development opportunities with Microsoft’s most recent release of SharePoint Products and Technologies. The first half of the course focuses on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS) where you will learn how develop fundamental WSS building blocks such as features, application pages, site pages, Web Parts, custom list types, site columns, content types and custom workflow programs. The second half of the course focuses on Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS). You will learn how to assemble and configure business solutions by using and extending the portal and web content management features of MOSS as well as other server-side services such as the Business Data Catalog, Forms Services, Excel Services and Report Center.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Tim

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:26 PM
  • Good luck, Tim. Let me know should you have any questions  

Saturday, February 9, 2008 9:51 PM