none
Outlook 2010 - two POP3 accounts, mail goes into two Inboxes, how to make all mail land in the same inbox

Question

• I set up two very ordinary POP3 mail accounts. In prior versions of Outlook, the mail for both accounts would be receieved the the same Inbox. Howver, when I set up the two accounts in 2010, it set up two Inboxes. I would much prefer that all my POP3 email be received in the same Inbox. In other words, I want just one Inbox, not multiple Inboxes. What do I need to do to have just one Inbox for all my POP3 email?
    Monday, June 21, 2010 5:10 AM

Answers

• From the File tab, select Info in the Backstage task pane and select Account Settings from the menu on the Account Settings button.  Select the relevant POP account in the E-mail tab and click teh Change Folder button to set the delivery location to the other POP account's Inbox.

(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)
    Eric Legault: MVP (Outlook), MCTS (SharePoint)
    Owner: Collaborative Innovations
    Twitter: elegault
    Blog: Eric Legault My Eggo
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• From the File tab, select Info in the Backstage task pane and select Account Settings from the menu on the Account Settings button.  Select the relevant POP account in the E-mail tab and click teh Change Folder button to set the delivery location to the other POP account's Inbox.

(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)
    Eric Legault: MVP (Outlook), MCTS (SharePoint)
    Owner: Collaborative Innovations
    Twitter: elegault
    Blog: Eric Legault My Eggo
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I am also having this problem - but with IMAP e-mail accounts. The problem is that for IMAP accounts there is no 'Change Folder' button.

Is it possible to get these delivered into my Inbox also?

Thanks.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:19 AM
  • I have two Microsoft Exchange accounts and would also like to see the incoming messages in the same inbox. When I try to do what you suggested for the two POP accounts, I can only click a Change Folder button in the default Exchange account (no such button in the other account), but when I do so, I get a message warning me that if I continue, all messages will be removed from the server and stored locally from now onwards. That is something I do NOT want. Are there any alternatives or do Exchange accounts have to stay in separate boxes? In my smartphone, for example, the two Exchange accounts appear color-coded and I can choose if I want to see one or the other, or both combined. If I choose the combined option, every message has a color code on the side indicating which account it was sent to.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Two accounts in one inbox will only work for POP3. If you using Exchange or IMAP the accounts have separate folder sets because they are server-based accounts - if you move everything to one folder, the mail is deleted from the one server and moved to the other.

Outlook does not have a color-coded view like smartphones do.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:32 AM
  • But in Windows Live Mail it is possible to view all accounts in the quick view (POP3 & IMAP). Does Outlook 2010 have a similar feature?
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:51 AM
  • You can use an instant search query - see http://www.slipstick.com/how-to-outlook/how-to-create-a-unified-inbox/ for instructions.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:23 PM