none
Configure WinExit.scr for all users on Windows 7 Pro x64

Question

• Hi,

I've been struggling with this for a while and I just can't get it to work. I'm trying to use the aged WinExit.scr screensaver to autologoff users after a period of idle time. The screensaver is on the computers in C:\Windows\System32, and has been set as the default by a GPO, but the prompt it produces is unconfigured and confusing. I'd like to set the force logoff option, configure a logoff message, and set the dialog box's timeout value for all users on the computer without having to re-copy the default user profile over with sysprep again. I can't do that with 200 computers. Here's what I have done so far.

1. Use group policy to copy winexit.scr over to the computers from the server. Copy it to: C:\Windows\System32
    Edit: Computer Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Files\<New file> in the GPO.
    Source: \\SERVER\Share\winexit.scr
    Destination: C:\Windows\System32\winexit.scr

Archive attribute: Enabled 

2.  Use group policy to modify a registry key which will allow all authenticated users the right to actually use the new screensaver. Key: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMappings\Control.ini   Oddly enough, when I look at the key in the registry on one of the computers, the permissions are not there.

3. Use the same GPO to enable the screensaver, select it, and set the timeout value. 
    User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\
    Enable screen saver: Enabled
    Force specific screen saver: C:\Windows\System32\winexit.scr
    Screen saver timeout: 900 seconds

Prevent changing screen saver: Enabled

4. The default settings for the win exit screensaver have to be put into the default user profile. Adding the following registry entries to the default user’s NTUSER.DAT file should do the trick, but it doesn't for some reason. Create a batch file with the following contents.

start /wait reg load HKU\Test C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat
    start /wait reg add “HKU\Test\Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff"
    start /wait reg add “HKU\Test\Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff” /v CountDownTimer /t REG_SZ /d 120 /f
    start /wait reg add “HKU\Test\Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff” /v DialogMessage /t REG_SZ /d “Log off message” /f
    start /wait reg add “HKU\Test\Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff” /v ForceLogoff /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f

start /wait reg unload HKU\Test

The registry settings are there when checked, but they do not seem to take any effect. Any thoughts as to why this isn't working?

Thanks

Jason

Jason

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this screen saver copied from Windows NT system? We cannot make sure that can work in Windows 7, I followed your steps but it doesn’t work either on my test machine. Does anyone get winexit.scr to work in Windows 7, I do see some blogs states that it can work on Windows 7, but a little bit different from your description.  

http://www.paulspoerry.com/2012/automatically-log-off-inactive-windows-7-users/

Please note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Notice that your user need full permission on these registry entries. And we might also can use task scheduler for that purpose.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response. The screensaver does run, but the customization options don't take. It works, sort of, but it doesn't look good. The prompt logging the user off does not contain a concise message of why they are being logged off. I need that for this to work.

Jason

Monday, November 9, 2015 5:06 PM
  • You may want to try ActiveExit instead (it's free for personal use)

https://www.winability.com/active-exit-vs-winexit/

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:22 PM