none
Why can't I copy a list to another site without the copy being linked to the original? RRS feed

• Question

• I needed to completely copy a calendar (including all of its information) to a higher-level site within the same site collection, so I did it by saving the original list as a template (selecting the "Include Content" check box) and then creating a new calendar from that template in my new desired location (a higher level site within the same site collection).  I followed the instructions on the microsoft website here. 

But I've got a big problem - the duplicate calendar on the top-level site is still linked to the original on the lower-level site, even though microsoft's help page says that you can delete the original.  If I delete the original, then when I try to open the duplicate, I get an error and the calendar is emtpy of all content.  (This is despite the fact that the guide I linked to, above, specifically says that you can delete the original.) 

Even worse, I can't even use the duplicate calendar, because if I add an event to it then it is really glitchy.  (The event will show up in some views but not others in which it's supposed to show up, even though the original calendar responds properly in the exact same situation.) 

Also, if I make any changes to the original, the duplicate is automatically updated to match it.  In fact, the only way for me to make changes to the duplicate calendar is to modify the original, letting the duplicate be automatically updated to match it.

How can I copy the calendar and all the information it already contains, but delete the original without any problems?

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• cannot reproduce what you described. could you please let me know the exact steps to reproduce and your sharepoint version number? Most probably, there is something wrong with your template saved, could you please uploaded to some web drive such as skydrive so that i can download and reproduce if no confidential information is involved.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Hi, Have you tried content and structure utility provided by SharePoint 2010 OOB. you need to create new empty calender at the level you want. then go to site action -> site settings -> Under Site Administration -> Content and Structure. Select source calender list and select the items you wana copy or move to destination(newly created empty calender)

for more info follow this link http://blogs.salentica.com/rvajaria/2010/10/04/%E2%80%9Cmanage-content-and-structure%E2%80%9D-link-in-sharepoint-2010/

Hope this will help you.

Thanks.... ________________ Baba (MCTS, MCPD)
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:22 AM
  • @ GuYuming: Sharepoint Version is 4 (14.0.0.4762) and Server Version is Microsoft-IIS/7.5.  I'm sorry, I'm really pressed for time right now (have to finish several projects before American Thanksgiving) so I can't type out the exact steps of what I did at this moment, but I'll try to get back to you soon.

@ Babasaheb:  Your solution sounds promising, but (apparently) I don't currently have the permissions level required to see "Content and Structure."  I'll get with the admin in the next day or so and try to fix that, then I'll let you know how it goes.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:21 PM