Skype for Business Standard Edition Pool Pair and Edge Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am planning to deploy the edge server for my SFB Standard edition pool pair. I have a few design concerns on this:

1) How many edge servers should I deploy? One edge server for each standard edition pool?

2) Do we need a load balancer if I use one edge server of each standard edition pool?

3) If I use only one Edge server and the primary standard edition server is failed, will I get the edge function once manually fail over the SFB edge pool? 

Sunday, June 14, 2020 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi AbdulRasheed1984!

=== How may edge servers should I deploy? One edge server for each standard edition pool?

In my experience, you can definitely have multiple FE pools behind a single Edge pool. This is one of the most common deployment topologies out there. For more details about how to deploy edge server pool, you can refer to:

http://blog.schertz.name/2016/03/skype-for-business-2015-edge-pool-deployment/

===Do we need a load balancer if I use on edge server of each standard edition pool?

Yes, you need load balancer. Load balancing distributes traffic among the servers in a pool. If you have Front end pools, edge server pool, you need to deploy load balances for these pools. For more details about edge server load balancing requirements, you can learn from:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/network-requirements/load-balancing#hardware-load-balancer-requirements-for-edge-servers-running-the-av-edge-service

===If I use only one Edge server and the primary standard edition server is failed, will I get the edge function once manually fail over the SFB edge pool? 

If a front end pool fails but the edge pool at this site is still running, you must know whether the Edge pool uses the failed pool as a next hop pool. If it does, you must change the Edge pool to use a different Front End pool before failing over the failed Front End pool. For more details, you can refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/manage/ha-dr-and-backup-service/failing-over-and-failing-back-a-pool#fail-over-a-front-end-pool

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com
    Monday, June 15, 2020 3:00 AM
  • Hi,
    I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer to close the thread, it will help others who encounter the same issue and read this thread.
    Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, June 19, 2020 9:21 AM