none
How do I hide default.master so people can't use it? RRS feed

• Question

• We've uploaded a custom master page and set all our sub-sites to use it.  I've also hidden all the other master pages.  However, "default.master" still shows up in the "Site Master Page Settings" page  ( _Layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx ) as an option for the master page.

How do I hide default.master from this drop down list so everyone is forced to use our custom master page?

Thanks!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:15 PM

Answers

• it turns out we ended up setting up our users within our sharepoint site collection so only a few people have the ability to change the master page their site is using.  (In fact, there are now only 2 people in the whole company that can now change a master page and I'm one of them... so I just told the other person to never change the master page).
    • Marked as answer by C Techie Friday, January 8, 2010 5:24 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you need to have the default master page? If not you could just delete it from the master page gallery

Paul.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Hi C Techie,

By default, there is no hide option for default.master page in the “master page gallery”. However you can set the permission for the default.master to make it have unique permission and only administrator has full control on it. After that, you will find that in the “Site Master Page Settings” page, the default.master no longer exists in the drop down list.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Be careful setting permissions on the default.master page because if you ever do need to back off from your custom master page or have a site that isn't using your custom master page (like a new site collection) then SharePoint will give you horrible errors without any clear indication that the permissions on the master page was actually at fault.

IF you do need to tinker with permissions on the master pages, DOCUMENT IT WELL for future reference!

Thanks
    C
    http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog

I trust that answers your question. Thanks C http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:47 AM
    Answerer
  • I agree with Cornelius that permissioning master pages is asking for trouble. There have been a few times where a site kept asking for credentials and I couldn't work out what was causing the problem, and it turned out there were permissions on the master page.

So that takes me back to my first suggestion. If you do not want anyone to use the default.master, why don't you delete it from the gallery? If you need to restore it at a later date, you can always do that.

An alternative would be to carefully permission your site so that only a select group of people actually have the permissions required to even change the master page for a site.

Paul.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:20 AM
  • it turns out we ended up setting up our users within our sharepoint site collection so only a few people have the ability to change the master page their site is using.  (In fact, there are now only 2 people in the whole company that can now change a master page and I'm one of them... so I just told the other person to never change the master page).
    • Marked as answer by C Techie Friday, January 8, 2010 5:24 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:24 PM
  • LOL.  Indeed.  Often a procedural change is much simpler than a technical one. :-P

Later

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:12 AM
    Answerer